Low sperm morphology and possible options??

goodhopesall

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post on the forum. Apologies if other threads already address my query, but I could not find exact help.

Last year(2015), i had MoMo Twins pregnancy, which ended in m/c after 9 weeks. I had D&C for that. Going through tough times after that. Its been 7 months now, I am trying to conceive, but no luck. My husband had semen analysis test, last week.
Sperm count: 120 M/ml with motile sperm:111.
Motility: 61%
but morphology is just 1%. Scared since then. Planning to meet urologist soon.

Following are the queries:
1. Is it possible that previous M/C could have happened due to poor morphology?
2. Is it possible to improve morphology with any medicine/vitamins?
3. Is there any realistic chance of natural pregnancy?
4. Can poor morphology result into birth defect?
5. Is it better to go directly for IVF/ICSI?

I know too many queries, it just reflects my state of mind. Any support/help is highly appreciated.

Thank you,
good hopes

my hubby has low sperm... hes been taking fertilaid products and boy have i noticed a difference when he actually take them... lol but our dr always said it only takes ONE it is possible natural (bd everyother day and ovulation everyday) but we were told to look into ivf ( but financially cant right now)

Don't freak out just yet! The good news is that his count and motility are solid which means that 1% morphology is of a high number which is way better than low morphology and low count. I have read that morphology is the hardest sperm issue to overcome, that being said your husband can take supplements and make lifestyle changes he can increase his motility and count even more, thus making more good swimmers available, does that make sense???

1. Is it possible that previous M/C could have happened due to poor morphology? A swimmer with poor morphology wouldn't have made it to the egg. Only the best of the best survive the great sperm race!
2. Is it possible to improve morphology with any medicine/vitamins? Try adding Multi, maca, zinc, 1000mg vitamin C, selenium, COQ10 and L Arginine. These supplements more target motility and count but by increasing those two aspects he will increase sperm with good morphology even if the overall percentage remains at 1%. Also, if he has any bad lifestyle habits now is the time to change, quit smoking, cut back on drinking, eat healthy and exercise regularly.
3. Is there any realistic chance of natural pregnancy? Yes, the importance of morphology is debated in the medical community, plus he does have some good swimmers so it can happen
4. Can poor morphology result into birth defect? I have read there is no indication that abnormal sperm cause birth defects
5. Is it better to go directly for IVF/ICSI? Hmmm, not sure on this one, you will have to consult with an RE

Honestly I would put him on a regiment of supplements, make sure he is stopping nasty habits and living a healthy lifestyle. As it takes 90 days for changes to take effect in sperm health plan to do another SA in 3 months. You may be happily surprised and keep on trying in the meantime!

BTW my partners morphology was at 4% which at first we thought was crazy low but as it turns out it is considered normal.

Thanks 2ducks and sailorgirl20 for your reply. I appreciate your advice!! yes, my husband is planning to start exercise routine. luckily no bad habits. Agree with the approach of targeting sperm count and motility, rather than morphology. Will take SA test 3 months later.

Thank you,
Goodhopesall

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"