Luke Harry's Birth Story! (will be updated with pics soon)

Char.due.jan

Mummy to Luke
Reaction score
Birth Story of my beautiful little man Luke Harry 6/02/2011 23:49 7lbs 13oz

So after my sweep on the Friday I'd been losing my mucus plug and having period like cramps, the Saturday night the cramps were getting worse and I felt like my waters were leaking so I called up the delivery suite and they told me to come in and get checked. So off to hospital I went, the midwife checked me but my waters hadn't leaked she checked me for dilation while she was at it and said baby's head was very low down, my cervix was very thin and I was around 1-2cm dilated.

So I went to go home, the car had broken down in the carpark so my mum had to get someone out! It felt like ages and I was getting contractions around 5 minutes apart, but I said I didn't want to go back into the hospital because they would only send me home. Once I finally got home I ran myself a nice bath and stayed in there until around 6:00AM. I decided to then try and get some sleep, contractions were coming but I was just too tired to bother timing them.

Sunday morning everything seemed to have eased off so I thought typical a false alarm, took some paracetamol and chilled out on the couch watching tv. At about 6:00PM my contractions started up again and they were so painful! Coming around every 4 minutes, my mum was telling me we should really go to hospital but I insisted I wanted my tea! She was cooking peri peri chicken and potato gratin, I couldn't miss that!

I called my OH and told him to be ready to set off to the hospital soon. During my contractions my mum and brother took turns in rubbing my back, it really did help me a lot! I sat down for tea and only managed a few mouthfuls at a time because of the contractions. I'd eaten hardly anything and finally said 'I think we should go now' so off we went to hospital. I called them on the way and that's when they told me the birthing suite was closed, I burst into tears when I came off the phone as I thought my natural birth was ruined, I kept repeating 'everythings ruined' crying my eyes out and of course it was just making my contractions feel worse. I'd not even looked round the delivery suite as it was full when I went on my tour so the prospect of giving birth there was even more daunting!

When we arrived at the hospital my OH was waiting there and walked me to the delivery suite, I'd stopped crying then but when they led me into the room my heart sank it was so clinical :/ the midwife checked my blood pressure and then had to rush off to someone else so me, my mum and OH were left in the room. I just kept saying how much I hated the room. Another midwife then came in and apologised for the wait, she checked me for dilation and I was 4cm! This was at 8:10PM, I was happy I'd gotten that far without any pain relief. She then said to me I could use the birth pool in the delivery suite if I liked. I suddenly felt so happy, I didn't even know they had one on delivery suite! I snapped at the chance. She then said she'd go and get the room sorted and then I'd be moved That's when I tried out the gas and air, I just started giggling on it and it really helped take my mind off contractions.

I was transferred to the pool room and waited for the pool to be filled, I'm not sure how dilated I was when I got in the pool as I wasn't examined again. The water really took the edge off the contractions and the gas and air helped loads, it did make me a little out of it though. At one point I started saying 'where am I?' 'What am I doing?', which my OH and mum found funny to laugh at, I feel awful for the way I was with them in the pool I screamed at my mum to get the fucking gas and air out of my face. It was making me feel really sick, and I was sick twice thankfully in a sick bowl! I remember saying 'well there's my peri peri chicken!'. I bit my OH twice, very hard. The midwife shouted at me for that and my mum shoved a flannel in my mouth to bite down on! This was when I was at the pushing stage and I completely gave up on the gas and air at that point, I found it was annoying me more than anything and making me feel sick.

I didn't really feel a huge urge to push like some people say they do, I suppose I just went along with my body. All the time in my head I was thinking 'birth is natural' to try and take my mind off the burning. And oh god it burns!!! At one point I got cramp in my legs and that on top of the burning was too much, I started screaming uncontrollably and I just remember myself slagging that woman off on one born every minute and feeling very stupid, I think I screamed louder than her! Once his head was out though it was a huge relief! I kind of felt a pop when his head came out, it was such a strange feeling.

When he was finally born at 11:49PM I picked him up out of the water myself and OH cut the cord once it had stopped pulsating. I then got out of the pool and had a natural third stage, I chose to look at the placenta afterwards, it looked disgusting but it was strange to see the thing that was keeping LO alive inside me!

I've skipped a few things out here as LO has started to stir but I will rewrite. I love my little man so much and I'm so happy I got the birth I wanted in the end

Pictures will be added on my phone x x

Congratulations! I promised myself I'd be dignified and then screamed my head off too!

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/RH0NDA/Emoticons/Words/BAC7zblink_elbaby10HL1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->