Lying down - one handed latch

supertabby

Reaction score
How do you help baby latch on when feeding lying down? Both of us lying on our sides, facing each other.

For sitting up feeds I use on hand on back neck/shoulders to guide his head and other hand guiding my boob.

Lying down though puts one arm pretty much out of action (I certainly can't get into position to do either normal movement). This ends up with spending 5 mins or more trying to latch on and him getting frustrated. I get frustrated as I'm in agony with my neck right now (have seen GP) so I don't want to be straining to look at him to get latch right.

Does anyone have any tips?

We're going through a growth spurt so I really want to feed lying down as I'm getting zero rest otherwise.

ETA - he is getting his mouth round my nipple just not latching. He's 12 days old.

Tricky one, I'm not sure because I've not really nursed lying down, I tend to just slump all propped up with pillows. I'm sure ladies who have the perfect solution will be along to help better soon.

In the meantime could you try a sort of latch and slide technique?? As in sort the latch then lean yourself over and replace your arm under LO with a pillow as you go? I'm not sure that will work, I'm sorry to not be more help.

I didn't start nursing laying down till around 10 weeks and he could latch himself

I would say make sure baby's face is far enough away so they're not squashed together. Basically lay down with your boob laying on the bed and make sure your nipple is pointing sideways. Depending on how full my breasts are, I sometimes have to lean back a little. Then put baby to the boob, he should root to find your nipple. But he is still very young, so you may need to line it up exactly for it to work. You can put your finger just above your nipple (while lying down, so towards your cleavage) and pull a little to adjust nipple height.

You could also try latching him sitting up, then laying down without breaking the latch? Again, he is little so it may not be feasible yet. But I feel your pain, so it's worth a try!

I'd be careful latching sitting up then laying down as you may lose your latch but not notice. Sore boobies if you both fall asleep nursing in that position.

Thanks all. Sounds like I may need to just wait till he's a bit older and we've got our techniques down a bit better. I did try latching sat up and sliding down but it didn't work and as Noo mentioned I was also afraid losing the correct latch anyway.

When we feed laying down, I tend to lean up slightly so I can guide the latch then just let my arm slide out so that im flat on the bed with her. HTH.. if it doesn't make sense i can try to explain better

Thanks all. Sounds like I may need to just wait till he's a bit older and we've got our techniques down a bit better. I did try latching sat up and sliding down but it didn't work and as Noo mentioned I was also afraid losing the correct latch anyway.

Sounds like you have a great excuse to go for a massage :)

Hope you feel better soon!

We didn't master breastfeeding laying down until he was a little older. I started off breastfeeding with the football hold and then it just kind of evolved as he got bigger and we both got comfortable. When you do get it though, it's really helpful because when he was little I used to have to get up and go to the rocking chair in the middle of the night to feed. Now, I hear him grizzle, and bam, boob is right there. Back to sleep we both go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->