Madden Hylton 22/12/2010

sammiwry

Single mummy to Madden <3
Reaction score
I thought I ought to finally write Madden's birth story now that I have time and am feeling better.

Madden was originally due 17th Dec but decided unlike daddy he was going to follow mummy and be late!

Monday 20th I had my 40 week midwife appointment and decided to have a sweep to see if it help labour start as I had a major fear of him being born on Christmas day or having to be induced. The sweep was very uncomfortable but I was already 2/3cms dilated so at least I knew things were happening even if I hadn't noticed any difference!! I was uncomfortable all evening afterwards and woke up on the Tuesday and nothing looked to be happening.

Wednesday 22nd the dog woke me up about 9am wanting the toilet so I got up to let her out and went back to bed. She came up again and curled up next to my DH which was unusual as she normally curled up between us. Couple of minutes later I noticed a strange sensation in my bump but didn't think too much of it as we'd had Chinese the night before, but I got the sensation again and decided to time them to see if there was any pattern to them after 3 more lasting for 30 seconds roughly 6 and half minutes apart so I text my mum to warn her she may need to come and pick up the dog.

As I still didn't want to get my hopes up that this was it I got my DH to run me a warm bath to see what happened, but while in the bath what I now realised to be contractions were now coming every 5 minutes so DH rung my mum to come and pick up the dog as she was beginning to get agitated which was winding me up. My DH then rung the community midwives office as I was planning on a home birth and the on call midwife rung back 15 minutes later, after a quick chat with her it was decided that she'd ring back at 1 to see how I felt and so we could reassess the situation.

With the dog collected, the midwife rung back and it was decided that she would come out to assess me and we could then go from there once she'd seen her last person in her clinic and handed over to another midwife.

I was quite shocked to find out I was 4cm dilated at 2pm but had a feeling that I wouldn't be able to have Madden at home which I now think is because my body knew it couldn't do it. So we decided to leave it an hour and see how I felt but at 3pm I still felt the same way so a transfer into hospital was organised as I felt tired and decided I wanted pethidine while DH quickly packed the last things into my hospital bag.

By 4pm I'd arrived at hospital and they were trying to decide whether to stick me on the antenatal ward or on delivery, I ended up staying on delivery as the midwife who had been assigned to me was finishing up with a lady in recovery and didn't really see me other than to introduce herself until 4.45pm when she popped her head in to check I was OK and I told her I was beginning to get the urge to push! She then re-examined me and I was 7cm dilated and I still yet hadn't had the pethidine I'd ask for so I reiterated I wanted it and she then had to find someone to do it with her by which time it was 5.25pm!

At 6pm she re-examined me and told me I was ready to push! After half hour she noticed that Madden's heart rate was dipping as I had a contraction so she broke my waters (of which there was very little!) A dr was then called as she was concerned about Madden's heart rate continuing to dip with every contraction although it was recovering fine. By 7pm it was clear that Madden was slightly stuck so another dr was called and it was decided that he needed to arrive asap so they prepped for ventouse and at 7.23pm Madden's head was born and I paniced because he didn't cry but at 7.25pm when his body was born with a lovely loud cry :D

DH went with him to be weighed while I was stitched up and it was soon apparent why he became stuck when he weighed in at 9lb 6oz!!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/oldacres_honesty/Madden%20Hylton%20Wrycraft/f296f160.jpg 10 minutes old if that!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/oldacres_honesty/Madden%20Hylton%20Wrycraft/165502_10150349359845005_781595004_16360650_93251_n.jpg one week old

awww well done hun Madden is lush little whopper!xx

I thought Ava was big at 8lb 15oz! She weighs 9lb 4oz now, dropped to 8lb 11oz 4 days after birth.

wish her head hadnt been in an awkward position after all my hardwork lol little monkey emergency c sec recovery is a nightmare!x

Everyone health care wise thought he'd be about 7 an half pound even the midwife on delivery but I reckoned he was going to be about 8 and half. Ava arrived safely though and that's all that matters in the end isn't it?!

Yeah of course but i was so out of it and didnt get to hold her for an hour they wouldnt let me, I cant remember her first moments or the way she looked and I lost a litre of blood and couldnt breastfeed, feel robbed and its no ones fault but no matter how many people say "shes here safe" and "you have a healthy baby girl" which I'm so grateful for it still feels pretty raw, Lozzy posted a great link about a woman who'd had a traumatic delivery and it puts it in to words better x

congrats - what a beautiful little boy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->