Maimed myself with baby vicks rub!

MyFavSurprise

Reaction score
Okay maybe not maimed.. but burned very badly (for a minor burn)

My 10 month old is sick so i have a humidifier in his room, and to help him sleep I've been heating water in a mug and adding vicks baby rub to it to help him breathe.. it's been working great, at least it was until I decided to microwave the same mug.. when I went to stir it, it exploded, spraying scalding hot oily water all over my face and hand. Half of the mug sprayed out!

So, vicks baby rub + hot water in mug = good
Microwaving after adding the oil = BAD

Lol...owww it burns so bad :sad2:

Ouch that sounds so painful! I hope you're OK :hugs:

ouch ! hope your ok !.

We bought a vicks vapouriser from Argos bit pricey at £40.00 but works well ! . xx

This doesn't just happen with the vapour, it can happen with any liquid you microwave. If you reheat without stiring in between, the centre gets super heated (heated to a temperature at which it would normally boil) but it can't boil or expand because it is stuck inside an outer layer of colder liquid. Putting the spoon in to stir it gives the superheated liquid a chance to turn into steam and expand outwards (up on to your hand and face).

I know this does't help you now, but just incase anyone else is unaware, this can happen with tea, coffee, anything, so in general the advice is even if the drink seems to have cooled down completely, stir it before reheating as this mixes the hot centre with the cooled outer making it much less likely to superheat.

Wow I had no idea, but it makes sense. I only put it back in for 30 seconds, but it was already hot. It was very scary, and my poor 5 year old got hit on the hand and terrified, luckily it wasnt bad at all. All of my burns are already mostly painless and definitely not going to blister.

I'll be more careful from now on for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->