• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Major tax credit overpayment !

DippyTink

Mummy to twin boyos !!
Reaction score
I renewed my tax credits over the phone on Monday morning and I received my normal tax credit monthly payment on Thursday.
I have just checked my online bank account and two more payments have gone into my account this morning totalling over £1200 !
It's obviously a mistake so any ideas as to what to do about it ???

Usually if they do that it means they have underpayed you somewhere along the line xx

Ring them and query it - if it's correct then great, but if it's their mistake it's quite likely they'll realise at some point and want it back. You don't want to have already spent it when that happens.

That's what I'm worried about - good things like this never happen to me !

If it is an underpayment from somewhere then that's great :) you have just got lucky ! :)

Do ring and check though... they make mistakes and will be ruthless when they decide they want it back lol

Did you overestimate your income last year? Might be that.

As others said, ring them to double check as it could be a mistake & they will want it back. I got a letter stating we owed them £170 as I had underestimated our wage by £1000. They wanted it back within a month. (They may have spread the cost over the following payments but our TC were due to stop the next month due to the new maximum cutoff)

This has happenned to me a few times. This week I got a payment on tuesday as usual and then a payment on wednesday too. You will receive an award notice in the post very soon to explain how they worked it out. I've had close to £200 this week when I usually get £125p/wk. Xx

Yeah it could well be that you were underpaid last year. I did that once, accidentally doubled my income one year when filling out the form, the next year I got like £2000 after renewing - I nearly passed out :lol:

Yeah sounds like they have underpaid you...query it just in case but its unlikely they have made a mistake!

I had a massive one one year, I seriously thought they cocked up, but nope!

If it's an overpayment there's no point staying quiet because they'll claw it back lol. But as others have said most likely it's an underpayment for last year, I always give tax credits estimates of the year because our income seems to fluctuate, then after I've given the exact amount we often get a nice little extra after renewal. One time though I made a mistake and got an £800 payment which was £400 too much but told them right away and they managed to reduce my payments for the rest of the year and sorted it quickly.

I'd just give them a ring and double check that it's correct because you don't want to end up paying it back in a few months time or anything.

I would ring them if ur worried better to know now than to worry

Thanks everyone - finally managed to get through this morning and its right ! Can't believe it !

I was hoping for something like that, I got an extra £80 lol! Xx

Yay!! Bet your over the moon :D I felt like I'd won the lottery when I got £180 back from them last month, have a fab weekend spending :D xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->