Making a hospital birth as natural as possible!

jackiea85

Mum of 2 boys
Reaction score
After my son was born I had a PPH and needed a blood transfusion. My original midwife didn't see this as a problem and I was planning to give birth in a small birth unit, which I was really looking forward to. Since moving house and getting a new midwife, I am being referred for consultant led care due to the PPH!
I don't want a birth like last time, on the bed, stirrups, ventouse etc. I want to be more mobile, I've got a hypnobirthing CD which I will start at 32 weeks, I want things to be more natural this time round. Is it possible to do these things while under consultant led care? I haven't met my consultant yet so haven't had chance to find anything out. Also, what else could I do to make it less of a "hospital birth" if that makes sense? Thanks x

I still don't see why you can't birth in the unit? Even though you're consultant led just let him/her know that you'll still be delivering at the unit. Also I would recommend starting the CD now if you can. The sooner the better really. :thumbup:

Sorry, what I meant it I have moved away from that particular unit, there are other units down here but the midwife has recommended I go to hospital in case I have another pph x

ETA: if I refuse to go to the consultant led unit, does the midwife led unit have to take me? I won't end up being turned away from the M/L unit would I?

Absolutely it is! My next client is having a hospital birth and I anticipate that they will have a wonderful 'natural' empowering experience. A clear, informed, detailed, documented birth plan and a well briefed birth partner who is ready to advocate and negotiate if needed (which isnt always the case in hospital) will get you exactly what you are hoping for! x

Unfortunaly with a previous PPH your classed as high risk so most midwife led units would send you to a hospital once they read your notes.

Unfortunaly with a previous PPH your classed as high risk so most midwife led units would send you to a hospital once they read your notes.

Yeah that's what I thought :( x

Yes just as those with previous sections would be sent to consultants as well that doesn't make them unable to give birth at home or in a birthing centre though. It's ultimately their right.

Yeah that's what I thought :( x

Yes just as those with previous sections would be sent to consultants as well that doesn't make them unable to give birth at home or in a birthing centre though. It's ultimately their right.

Your right or not they are the rules, just like you cant have a water birth in hospital if you have a high BMI.

Sorry but Jen is right here.. at the end of the day it isn't a rule, it‘s not Law. it is POLICY (something that usually happens), and you can discuss your care with the head of midwifery to get a care-plan together before your birth (you are entitled to do this) They can not deny you care - you just need to know the risks and accept them.
Even High risk pregnancies can be seen at a birthing centre. Successful "high risk" births achieved in a birth centre I know of are:
Twins in water
Breach
Previous C-sections
Previous PPH
Previous Shoulder D
Gestational Diabetes
High BMI - some in water
Anaemia

No one should think that they are not “allowed”, it is entirely incorrect.
XxX

What i don't understand is according to my notes, they class a pph as over 1500ml, I lost 800ml. In that case, do I necessarily need to be under consultant led care? Also, I didnt have a transfusion until over 24 hours after giving birth! So it was hardly a life or death situation, I would have plenty of time to be transferred should I have another pph. Sorry for all the questions but I do plan on discussing this with my consultant, once I eventually see one x

What i don't understand is according to my notes, they class a pph as over 1500ml, I lost 800ml. In that case, do I necessarily need to be under consultant led care? Also, I didnt have a transfusion until over 24 hours after giving birth! So it was hardly a life or death situation, I would have plenty of time to be transferred should I have another pph. Sorry for all the questions but I do plan on discussing this with my consultant, once I eventually see one x

All that is actually huge to take into consideration and only shows how much more you would be completely fine giving birth in the centre. I have to say you would be perfectly fine at home as well. PPH is something that does seriously need to be looked into. It's not something to just be tossed around but given your past I would say you body is very capable of delivering naturally with no problems. Statistically PPH happens less at home, whether that's because of the relaxed environment or the fact that the mother has more control over her body I'm unsure of. Some of the other women here would probably know that more than me.

With your history it may not be likely that you would want to have physiological third stage (though honestly you easily still could) so that you can of the syntrometrin to help prevent PPH before it happens. But these are all things that need to be considered and talked about before just being told no.

I'm also classed as high risk because of a previous section and I had a pph (900ml I think it was) but I think that was caused by the section from what I've read. I didn't find my consultant very helpful, throwing all kinds of rules that I would have to adhere to. So I would advise you to have a full list of questions ready (I didn't) and really question why. I'm going against the advise and planning a homebirth (I was told "we definately won't allow you a homebirth"), as my hospital experience wasn't great and I think I will have a better chance of a natural birth at home. If I didn't feel I could have a homebirth I would opt for the birth centre and do what Bournefree said about seeing the head of midwifery etc... it's your choice to make, even if it isn't what they recommend :)

I'm also classed as high risk because of a previous section and I had a pph (900ml I think it was) but I think that was caused by the section from what I've read. I didn't find my consultant very helpful, throwing all kinds of rules that I would have to adhere to. So I would advise you to have a full list of questions ready (I didn't) and really question why. I'm going against the advise and planning a homebirth (I was told "we definately won't allow you a homebirth"), as my hospital experience wasn't great and I think I will have a better chance of a natural birth at home. If I didn't feel I could have a homebirth I would opt for the birth centre and do what Bournefree said about seeing the head of midwifery etc... it's your choice to make, even if it isn't what they recommend :)

Can I ask how you arranged your homebirth, who you had to speak to etc? Did you go through the head of midwifery or another route? To be honest I was going to go along with the hospital birth even though I didn't want to but you ladies have made me think I should try pushing for the birthing unit at least!x

First state your birth choice with your MW. They have a duty to act on your choice of birth and inform the unit. You can say that you would like to attend a meeting with either the senior MW or the Head of Midwifery to discuss your care. They are likey to want to see you anyway.
If you feel that your MW might be unsupportive, you can just by-pass her and contact the senior MW or the Head of Midwifery.
They will want to go through all of the risks with you, and how the unit will be able to handle certain situations, and how the unit will be unable to treat others (I'm sure you will want that info too) You then can divise a care plan you are happy with, fully informed of all the risks and what care you would be happy with.
This will enable everyone to be fully informed.
However, you don't HAVE to do this.. You don't HAVE to book anything. You could always just turn up in labour.. but it is not only curtious, it is sensible to find out all the information of what capacities the unit has for particular presenting situations. PPH should be able to be adequatly delt with at any birthing centre - afterall it is a risk of birth that can present its self in all pregnancies, with a history of it or not.
Also remember you can change your mind about where you would like to give birth. Including right up and including into labour. So don't let being "booked" for any of the 3 options (Home, Birth Centre, or Obstetric Unit) stop you from changing your mind.. that is one of the reasons for YOU carrying your notes arround. Afterall you might not even be in your area when you go into labour.. but that still wouldn't stop you from having any of the 3 options.
Let us know how you get on.
XxX

If you do choose to go the hospital route, there are ways to make it as natural as possible (we don't have any birthing centers here, and no one to attend to homebirths (other than paramedics I suppose)

First, I would start the hypnobirthing CD's right away. I did them from 20 weeks, and they were lovely. Being able to relax through some of the tensions and discomforts of later pregnancy was a godsend. As well, the shoulder anchor was the best thing that ever happened for my birth.

Second, the key for me was having a doula. She was able to answer questions that the hospital staff were asking (so I could continue to focus), navigate the rules/procedures, and make sure that the nurses were aware of my preferences. If a doula is not in the picture, make sure your support person knows exactly what you want

The next thing that I would suggest is bringing what you need from home to be comfortable - I was very thankful to have my own pillow, nightgown, favourite blanket and music with me.

Asking for the lights to be kept dim whenever possible is also helpful. We didn't spend much time in a Labour and Birth room (it was busy and my labour moved fairly quickly), but they kept the lights down until about three minutes before Alayna was born. The dim helps it feel less like a hospital.

Hmmm... that's all I can think about now. My siggy has a story about my natural hospital birth, if you would like to see what that looked like.

Battery operated tea lights! :D I have them for hospital births or transferring in so that a nice ambiance can be made in the event the room doesnt have dimmer swtiches :D

Thank you, I didn't even consider the lights, I will have a look online for battery operated tea lights, they sound like a brilliant idea. What kind of music did u have disneyfan1984? Just not sure whether to get a relaxing music album or just an album I would usually listen to, tho its not particularly relaxing it's an album that definitely makes me happy! Xx

If you have a B&M Bargains near by they stock the tea lights in little frosted glass holders which are dirt cheap and look totally real!

Can I ask how you arranged your homebirth, who you had to speak to etc? Did you go through the head of midwifery or another route? To be honest I was going to go along with the hospital birth even though I didn't want to but you ladies have made me think I should try pushing for the birthing unit at least!x

Well technically it isn't known by my midwife (as she was so fully booked up hasn't been able to see me on schedule) and it wasn't until I saw my consultant, came home and really thought about my rights as a person to be honest! When I came on here and explained my situation the ladies started mentioning things like homebirth that I really didn't think I'd be able to have, and it planted that seed which made me really think about it. After loads of thought and looking back at my notes and a load of research decided that my experience before doesn't have to be repeated, it was just chance, so decided I'm going to take control and do things my way.

I was going to go down the hospital route same as you, and had just accepted it, but was not feeling happy or confident about it, pretty scared actually because of my previous experience. I had thought about a homebirth with my previous pregnancy but was scared into changing my mind, I must have been less confident about it all last time. This time I've decided I'm only telling people who need to know, not people that are going to put negative comments in and make me doubt myself, or get angry and carry it around with me (which I do!).

I'll post on here again once I've told my midwife my decision, which is next monday! So I'm going with 'I've made up my mind, this is what I'm going to do, I understand it's against your recommendation but I feel it's the right thing for me and my baby' etc... You have to feel confident with your decision, so have a think about your options, do some research and then decide. I'm not sure on how it stands with the birthing centre to be honest, they should take into account individual circumstances really, as I think 'high risk' and 'low risk' is just too unspecific, I'm not sure about you, but I know for a fact that what happened to me was 'chance' consultants exact words. So why put me as 'high risk'? Anyway I will stop waffling as I could be talking all day about it!! :haha:

Thank you, I didn't even consider the lights, I will have a look online for battery operated tea lights, they sound like a brilliant idea. What kind of music did u have disneyfan1984? Just not sure whether to get a relaxing music album or just an album I would usually listen to, tho its not particularly relaxing it's an album that definitely makes me happy! Xx

I packed my relaxing pan flute music CD (called MOTHER'S MELODY: ONE HEART - I downloaded it and love it), my hypnobirthing CD and my favourite music.

I had been relaxing to the pan flute music throughout the pregnancy, especially when we were practicing the shoulder anchor and deepening exercises, so that would have been what I used if there was enough time - heck, listening to it now still relaxes me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->