making clothes/bibs for LO - what material??

babz1986

Reaction score
I know this might be a strange question lol.. but i'm really interested in making some clothes or bibs for Ellie.. and a blanket and some other bibs by using my mums sewing machine..

but.. i'm a bit stuck as to what kind of material to use..

I know that baby grows/vests would be cotton.. but would it be poly cotton or what?

and bibs I'm guess terry towel material??

Any other ideas??

i think it would be poly cotton yeah, and bibs probably would be terry toweling and i think polycotton would work too

100% cotton works fine with fleece backing for dribble bibs - teething - just because there isn't much fluid to catch (cotton itself isn't really absorbant)

Minky and terry towel also work well.

More usual baby bibs e.g. for use when baby is drinking and spilling milk, you might want a waterproof interlining like pul and def. a terry towel or similar (more absorbant).
Polycotton is more absorbant though!

thanks ladies!! think I'm going to buy some this weekend and experiment lol

Let us know how you get on!
Here's one I've made recently! It's 100% cotton and grey fleece on the back. The back is shaped and I double sew them!
https://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z146/LazLLM/IMG_1767.jpg

Ooh I'm looking for a pattern like these bibs, did you just make it up or follow a pattern?

Fab job by the way.
Ive also been debating make Millie a dress, she has a next dress and its just a simple pinafore with appliqué (sp!!!) flowers on. If anyone knows of any patterns? Could do with a raverly for sewing.

There are loads of patterns online. I just played around with mine until I had a shape I was happy with.

If you are going to use poppers it is worth investing in a pair of pliers to make sure that they are put on well and dont come off. Velcro works as well though its just poppers are better as I sell mine.

I know this might be a strange question lol.. but i'm really interested in making some clothes or bibs for Ellie.. and a blanket and some other bibs by using my mums sewing machine..

but.. i'm a bit stuck as to what kind of material to use..

I know that baby grows/vests would be cotton.. but would it be poly cotton or what?

and bibs I'm guess terry towel material??

Any other ideas??

youd want knit for babygrows/vests ideally

bibs would be good with terry towelling, or you can even use old towels you have laying around, i like to do one layer cotton, one layer fleece with a layer of towel in the middle :) x

for babygros/vests you need cotton interlock; this is what the shops use. There are many sellers selling interlock on ebay for really good prices. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->