Massage!

Pulirula

Reaction score
Today is my birthday and hubs signed me up for a massage this week! I've never had a professional massage so I'm just wondering what it's like. I'm told I'll be laying on my side rather than belly for obvious reasons LOL. How naked do you have to be? Is it weird having a stranger rub you? Is it true your really sore the day after a massage? I'm actually excited cause my back hurts a lot. I'm just wondering about if it's weird the first time.

Take off your bra, underwear is up to you. They're adept at keeping you covered with sheet. I was pretty shy at first but you get over that pretty quick. Drink lots of water after, it helps with muscle soreness. Some of that also depends on how much pressure they use and they will adjust to what feels best for you. I like more pressure, the sorness afterwards is trivial at most and feels like you maybe lifted some light weights the day before.

I've never had a professional massage, and I'M SO JEALOUS. I have no idea what to expect, obviously. Enjoy it, though! And heed PPs warning to drink extra water after! :)

I had one a few weeks ago. Hubby bought me vouchers for a place near me for my birthday last year. I had my first one just before I got pregnant so it was the usual lying on your tummy and it also included a facial. The one I had a few weeks ago was a mum to be package, so it was lying on my side for the back massage. It was supposed to include having a mask treatment on my tummy but I felt a bit weird to have that done so instead she massaged my legs and feet, then it was a facial and an arm and hand massage. I strip down to just knickers, but you are covered with a towel. I didn't feel any way sore after having it done!

I f*ing love massages. Back when I had cash to burn I got an 180m every two weeks. My tips:
1. Communicate. They are there to service you so it's all what you want. If you don't like the music, say something. If the temp isn't right, say something. Pressure too hard or soft or you have a spot you want hit, say something.

2. How you lay depends on them. Some places have special prenatal pillows or tables. But you need to be sure that not only is your massage therapist aware you are pregnant BUT THEY SHOULD BE CERTIFIED IN PRENATAL MASSAGE. A lot of places allow MTs to do a prenatal massage when they aren't actually certified in it.

3. Clothes is up to you. The more you take off the better it feels but I have friends who go fully clothed. I agree I leave my undies on and everything off. Working the shoulders is not the same with straps. And they keep everything covered as they go. If you are ever uncomfortable just say something. I know this is really bad, but being bi myself I always request a gay masseur. I don't want to be massaged by a woman or man I could be attracted to haha. I especially like my usual guy because he used to be a dancer and gymnast and used to work with a chiropractor so on top of his training he understands the body really well. I call him my body magician haha

Go. Have fun. Stay hydrated that day lots of water. I want to book a prenatal soon. Lucky for me he got his prenatal cert years ago

Thanks everyone! I am really excited I can't wait. A lot of stress going on with a baby coming and buying a house!

It's a 60 min massage is that a long time? I'm afraid I'll get bored lol

I, personally, think 60 is too short which is why I opted for 80 (mistyped 180 earlier lol). But I have a lot of problem areas (shoulders, lower back, and ankle). Your mt should gauge your convo level. Mine knows only to talk to me if I initiate conversation. They're usually excellent conversationalists, kind of like your aestheticians. I never get bored. I fall asleep from being so relaxed most times lol or I just get lost on the endorphins and music lol. I have high anxiety so massages are the only time my mind just goes quiet.

Not boring! I just let my mind wander, and try not to drool. Dim room and soft music and tired mama...it's nearly trancelike. Ive only had one pregnancy massage, and she did a great job propping my bump with pillows and making sure everything was aligned. They only uncover what they are working on, so mostly you will feel like your are under your covers. Prenatal was pretty gentle, no soreness after--unlike Thai massages when I've had someone literally walking on me. Water and a banana after will help you feel refreshed. Let the person know it is your first massage. They will most likely ask you a few more questions and explain a bit more of what they will do. Enjoy this bit of pampering. If nothing else comes to mind, think about your baby. That's always fun to speculate about.

Lol yeah that's a thing in Thailand. When we were little kids (like 4/5) my mom would have us walk on her. I did gymnastics as a kid so I liked pretending she was a balance beam :rofl:

The only professional massage I've ever had was when I was pregnant. It was great, they had a special insert for the table for pregnant bellies. It was nice. I wish I could afford them all the time!

I was not sore after, I don't think it was that kind of massage.

I have anxiety also which is what is worrying me. I think once it's started I will relax and enjoy it. Thanks everyone! I'm getting excited!

I also have high anxiety disorder and massages really relax me. Once you get in the zone it's awesome. But everyone is different. I was the happiest when I got routine massages

I received a prenatal massage a few weeks ago. They basically tell you to take off as much as you feel comfortable. You go into a nice dark room with relaxing music. Since my massage was prenatal I spent very little time on my back and a majority of my time laying on each side. I slept like a baby by the end of the night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->