Mastitis or... ???

Sorsha

Tentatively expecting #2
Reaction score
I woke up this Wednesday feeling queasy, by the afternoon had a fever and other flu symptoms, but my breasts were fine. The fever went up and down overnight and Thursday morning my left breast was feeling achy as well. I called my midwife, and when the fever and pain hadn't gone after another 12 hours of taking Tylenol, feeding mostly on that side, resting, etc., she prescribed antibiotics, which I started taking Thursday night.

At the time, she said she wasn't sure it was mastitis since my fever hadn't gotten really high (never past 101.2 that I measured) and I had no hardness, swelling, or redness on my breast with the pain, but I opted to take the antibiotics because I didn't want to risk it suddenly getting a lot worse if untreated.

So now it's been almost 48 hours since I started the antibiotics, and while the fever or flu symptoms went away about 12 hours ago, my breast still hurts, about the same as before. It's totally bearable, I'm just worried about what it is if not mastitis.

There's still no hardness, swelling, or redness. The pain is on the left side of the outer breast area, by my armpit--a narrow area, no pain on most of the breast or the nipple. It's a tight achy sort of pain, like a bruise. I mostly feel it if something's touching it (e.g., my arm leaning on it if I'm lying on the opposite side) or if there's a "strain" on it (e.g., if I lean forward and the weight of the breast pulls down). I've been massaging that area while Lucas feeds, and continuing to get him to eat on that side mostly, and tried feeding leaning over him and with his chin pointed toward that area a couple times to help drain it if there's a blocked duct, and none of that has changed anything over the last two days. It feels about the same when he's eating and after as before. I do notice it a little more when I let down.

Anyone had mastitis that was like this? Or had breast pain like this for some other reason and can tell me what that was? I've been googling all sorts of things and can't figure it out. I'm concerned that if it is something else, the massaging etc. may actually be contributing to the pain instead of helping. :p

(If it makes a difference, my nipples are fine and have been the entire time I've been BFing.)

Yep, the first time I had mastitis it started as that achy feeling near my armpit (I had no idea and left it too long and it basically overtook my breast!).

I've had mastitis four times now and while the horrible flu symptoms usually go away within 24 hours, the breast pain does linger for some time!

I also did find that too much massaging just made it worse. If you can't actually feel a lump anywhere I'd just stick with trying to feed from that side as often as possible and pumping when you can.

Hope it clears up soon!

Mine felt bruised for several days after starting antibiotics. Every now and then when he hasn't emptied that same breast I get a sore feeling in the same spot as mastitis, so I know to preventatively massage and empty it.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, hope it clears up soon!

Thanks, that's helpful to know! It seems to be less painful this morning so hopefully on the way to full recovery! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->