Mastitis?

girlinyork

Reaction score
I think I have mastitis. Been a bit shaky and out of sorts all day and I've got a localised burning patch in my breast which feels a bit hard. :wacko: Is this like a medical emergency or can I wait until Monday to call my GP?

TIA x

I'd recommend calling your doctor. Mastitis can get worse quickly. I had a 101 fever when we spoke to my doc and I started on antibiotics right away. 6 hours later my fever was 104 and I had to go to the emergency room for IV antibiotics.

Good luck! Feel better!

I wouldn't wait the weekend, could they get you in today yet?

My doctors closed hours ago (I'm in the UK). There's an out of hours service but it's always busy and full of drunks -_- I tried the NHS symptom checker and it told me I am having a heart attack and to call an ambulance. I'm not feverish - could it just be a blocked duct?

Do you have a temperature? I'd get to the out of hours doctors today as you need antibiotics if its mastitis as it can progress to an abscess if not treated x

I'm waiting for a call back from the doctor. I've shown my hubby the kellymom site where it says how important it is to rest. Silver linings and such ;)

I'd say if you're feeling ill then you may already have mastitis. Mine progressed rather quickly. I did get into the doctor's office that day, and we agreed that I would wait a day to fill the prescription. I made it until the evening (resting in bed) and I felt like my skin was going to fall off lol. Antibiotics took about 1.5 days to work.

In the meantime, nurse a lot on that side (maybe a pump between feeds?) and use heat and massage to help fight potential infections and unclog the duct. Hope it clears up soon for you!

Thanks everyone. I've now got a ten day course of flucloxacillin. GP said it is mastitis and that had I waited out the weekend it could've gotten bad quickly and taken more time/effort to heal

Glad you got seen and got antibiotics. You did the right thing as it can become very painful if left.

Hope you're feeling better soon :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->