Mastitis :(

jenny82

Reaction score
Was with MW today and have been diagnosed with mastitis. I've caught it quite early (I think) as I only started getting a sore breast last night. She gave me antibiotics, although since I've come home, I'm now shivery, sore etc. Feel rubbish and can't even hold LO as it is too sore :(

Is there anythign I can do to ease the pain? I've taken paracetamol, had a warm shower this morning. Would a bath help?

Thank you. Hope I feel better soon as OH is going back to work on Monday and I'm dreading it :(

I had this a couple of weeks ago :( Thankfully it cleared up fast but was no fun at all! I felt so nauseous and weak and had a terrible headache and chills. I took ibuprofen for the breast pain (and headache) and it did help a little. I should think a bath would help if you submerge your breasts in the warm water, or you could try warm compresses throughout the day.

I have heard that grated raw potato is soothing too but obviously a bit messy!!

Hope you feel better soon. Take it easy.

Oh god it's awful isn't it :( I had it twice with each of my children! I can really sympathise. I found the gel pads worked well , you can heat them up or refrigerate them and they are really soothing. Also massaging the blocked area helped me.

Hopefully this passes soon for you :( keep feeding as much as possible x x x

I am so sorry! Mastitis is extremely painful :( I'm so glad you caught it early - it can get so bad that you can end up in the hospital.

Warm showers really felt nice to me. Gentle massaging where the lump was while LO nursed helped.

Also putting LO down and leaning over while my breasts dangled worked great. You're letting gravity + the sucking really help pull the clog out.

Good luck!

Lots of warm flannels on the boobs and plenty of massage can help. It sounds odd but Savoy cabbage leaves in your bra can help too. Straight from the fridge is better. I hope that the antibiotics start working soon. Feed LO as often as you can to keep the milk flowing. I've had mastitis a few times and it's so painful :hugs:

It is so horrible, I've had it once and blocked ducts twice and it is so uncomfortable and makes you feel so unwell. Try to get your LO to feed as much as possible even though it is very sore, and try expressing when you are having a warm shower, I found this made me feel very sick and lightheaded so be careful and maybe take a cold drink into the room with you, but it does help. I hope you feel better soon x

Jump into bed and stay there. Seriously. My MW told me i had to go to bed for the first day I felt like that and I was like 'really? how much better can that possibly make me feel? I am just sitting on the couch anyways, so whats the diff?' But seriously lying in bed always helped and seemed like I recovered quicker. I recommend ibuprofen, warm then cold compresses. I know it hurts to feed but feeding will relieve so much of the pressure and draw through the yucky stuff clearing the breast of the infection. Give your breast a decent massage just prior to feeding. Start at the nipple and work your way out (massaging all the ducts will make them more pliable and help with the removal of the lump), or if you have a big lump that you can feel, start on the outside of the lump and circle massage around the outside of the lump slowly moving in to the centre. The milk will come out all stringy, so think of the lump as a clump of hardened spaghetti and you massage the strings off from the outside.

Feed as much as poss from the infected side, and when you're not feeding, express. And rest. That's very important.

Massage the boob, might sound silly but use a comb! Massaging towards the nipple.

Hope it goes away soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->