Maternity Exemption card...

Hayley90

Complete
Reaction score
evening ladies :)

i got my NHS exemption card through yesterday, which is good :D

BUT the letter i got with it doesn't mention dental treatment, just prescriptions?

I'm worried as i can feel a niggly toothache starting, and i don't wanna stroll in there thinking its free then walk out with an £80 bill!!!!

does anyone have any solid proof we get dental treatments free as well? i dont know where to look & dont wanna book an appointment if i cant afford it, i'd rather wait a while till i can :/

I went to the dentist when I was 7 weeks pregnant, I didn't need any treatment done but the check up and clean was free. And they just took my word for it that I was pregnant, didn't ask for any proof.

sorry i dont have an answer for you hun, but is the exemption card only for prescriptions from your doctor? or can you walk into a chemist and ask for medication (such as cough medicne) and get it free on your card? xx

I went to my dentist and told them I'd had a baby less that a year ago, and it was free :D

Lauralora - i think its just prescriptions hun, so im just gonna go docs whenever somethings wrong with me lol so i get it prescribed :) sounds cheap but pills cost a fortune and im never sure whats safe for bubs :)

and thanks girls, i might just ask them on the phone when i book... i cant stop fiddling with my tooth now, if its not broken it will be soon .. oops :/

Dental treatment is definitely free throughout pregnancy and 12 months afterwards.

this is from the nhs website...............

Benefits

This page lists the rights and benefits you're entitled to when you're pregnant, such as the Health in Pregnancy Grant. It also lists other benefits you might be able to receive, depending on your circumstances.

Prescriptions and NHS dental treatment are free while you are pregnant and for 12 months after you have given birth. Children also get free prescriptions until they are 16. To claim free prescriptions, ask your doctor or midwife for form FW8 and send it to your health authority. You will be sent an Exemption Certificate that lasts for a year after your due date.

To claim after your baby is born (if you didn’t claim while you were pregnant) fill in form A in leaflet P11 NHS Prescriptions, which you can get from your doctor or Jobcentre Plus. To claim for dental treatment, tick a box on a form provided by the dentist or show your Exemption Certificate.

The links in this list take you to the Directgov website, where you'll find the most up-to-date information about rights and benefits, including those for pregnant women and parents.

so 100% free, don't suffer!!!!

thanks jenkins :D

i might find that page & print it...just in case they get funny with me :)

ooo i love going to the dentist...im a weirdo but i like the clean feeling, so i get all excited
:blush:

Thanks for this post - I didnt realise that I could get free prescriptions!!

Will have to ask my MW next week

Jo xx

I was at the dentist last week and it was free :) xx

Definitely free for Dentist...

In Northern Ireland they're still running Minor Ailments through the chemists at theminute, so you can get free stuff without the doctor - but it's only certain things - cold and flu, hayfever, diarrhoea, not sure what else... lots of things you can't take when pregnant anyway! I love it though, get infant ibuprofen and paracetemol for DD for free, and before PG I got it anyway as I'm on thryoid medication and get medical expemtion :)

Free at NHS dentists.....unfortunately for me my dentist went private about 10 yrs ago, and as he's the only one i would trust (dentist phobia) i still have to pay a fortune...its £35 just for the priviledge of saying hello and sitting in his chair! Pregnant or not :dohh:

He does the kids free though :thumbup:

I didn't think we got one in Wales - as prescriptions are free here anyway - but I will have to ask now if it covers dental treatment too.
Although I am private like you Looby Bump...so I suppose it won't cut much slack with my dentist anyway :-(

I didn't think we got one in Wales - as prescriptions are free here anyway - but I will have to ask now if it covers dental treatment too.
Although I am private like you Looby Bump...so I suppose it won't cut much slack with my dentist anyway :-(

Wish England would take up the free prescriptions like Wales...our family spend a fortune on charges each year :dohh:

NI is £3 prescription charge, which is a happy medium I guess!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->