Maternity wear

spritey

Reaction score
When did you ladies find that you could not do without maternity clothes? I'm trying to postpone this as far as possible. Haven't gained much weight yet (13w3d) but I hope to make do with my stretchy skirts, wrap dresses, jackets/sweaters and "fat days" clothing at least until month 5. Thoughts? Maybe I'll buy a few pairs of black maternity pants for work and some jeans, but from what I've seen, maternity clothing is overly expensive, poorly made, bad materials (nylon, rayon mostly, little cotton/wool/silk). When it's even a little nicer, then it seems to be over $200/piece, which is ridiculous for a few months. Of course, I'm kind of a clothes snob :) I'm also thinking of just buying some larger size nice items that I can later have taken in. Advice?

I caved and got maternity troussers by 8 weeks :blush: (no weight put on, just bloating...).

Tops and SOME dresses (not really any of mine, since most of the ones I owned were to flatter my flat stomach...) should last a lot longer (depending on how fast your BBs grow - I have gone up two cup sizes now, so am struggling with most pre-pregnancy tops).

You can try buying a size up in normal clothes, but that doesn't work for me because only my waist has grown (if I got the next size up - next size up would be US size 6 - then troussers would be WAY too baggy on the bottom/legs...). But it might work for tops (depending on what sort of tops you wear).

QT

maternity bra - although i've already outgrown it *sigh*

bought a bella band - so I can keep wearing my pre-preggo pants (can't even do up the zipper anymore LOL so the band is just fabulous) and it was only like $35

stretchy maternity tees are great - because they grow with you, and baby-doll style shirts / dresses which will work after pregnancy :D

I bought a pair of maternity jeans in a sale for £5.00 a few weeks ago...i don't think they will ever fit me they are massive :O and today I got a pair of jeans and a nice maternity shirt for £15.00 in the sale buy one get one free but don't really need to wear them quite yet. Im nearly 25 weeks and still wearing my usual jeans though some pairs are a bit tight and have to be unbuttoned for comfort when sitting down. Im planning on buying no more maternity stuff and really hope I don't have to because everything is sooo expensive!(sale items was pure luck!)but basically as i get bigger i will be wearing a pair of maternity jeans and a cheap cotton t-shirt (primark/tesco etc just keep buying next size up as bump grows) with a longish cardigan for when its colder and a pair of tracksuit bottoms and tshirt for lazing about the house in :) and am hoping that will work for me and that i wont need to buy much else maternity wise. Hope I've helped in some way ..even for ideas !

I was about 12 wks when i got maternity jeans and could not get dressed now without maternity wear! Tops aren't too mad, though my fav is a maternity top because its long and covers my bump! I haven't put much weight on but my bump is quite big! I love how comfy i am in maternity wear and have got some bargains in sales and on ebay! x

I went into maternity trousers at about 16 weeks as although I didn't lookhugely pregnant, I could not do my trousers up any more. Most of the tops I am wearning now are not maternity ones, just the kind of 'floaty' or 'smock' style ones which luckily seem to be in fasion at the moment. I have found they are basically the same as the maternity ones but if they are sold in the maternity section then they charge about twice the amount!!

im still in normal clothes .... just leggings and dresses, but im gonna go shopping this weekend xx

I was about 10 weeks - bought my first maternity jeans in a size down from what I'd usually wear so that the fit was good but the waist band was still stretchy! Still wearing them now. Seems to me that if you buy your usual size things are huge until about 5 months.
I LOVE wearing maternity tops - anything that shows off my bump and the earlier the better! I couldn't wait to show it off!

If you buy the over the bump ones, you can use a bump belt over the top of them to hold them up until you get bigger. This is what I did and it worked great! Quite a few people said to avoid too much under the bump stuff as it fals down and I have found this to be the case too. I got a three pack of bump belts from New Look for a tenner and they just tighten up over the bump styles with that baggy waist bit!

ive got huge since 20ish weeks and since then its been impossible to button any jeans etc. comfortably

i bought maternity pant at 15 weeks because i couldn't fit my jeans i only bought two because they were on sale, and I bought a summer dress for a party. I'm looking at long sleeve shirts and sweaters now and trying to get those on sale.

I bought some mat wear but I am still wearing my regular loose clothes. All the form-fitting jeans I had I haven't been able to wear in weeks though. I do sometimes wear my under bump mat jeans with a belt. I think I will have to make the full time switch by 27 weeks or so I would guess!

xx

I'm wearing maternity pants since 10 weeks but I still wear some of my pre-pregnancy tops and skirts. I'll need to go shopping soon, though because I have only summer clothes at the moment! :)

Thanks to the fashions Ive got by on some smock style tunics and leggings, which have been so comfy. Ive found a few of my old maternity bits that I didnt get rid of, but will def need to get a few more bits., h&m have got some really nice jeans and a lovely denim skirt in at the mo which ive got my eye on, just need to work on DH to buy them for me :winkwink:.

ive been wearing my larger trousers and maternity tops for a while but the weekend i tried on all my clothes and my old trousers dont fit and alot of my tops im not gonna wear again so i filled a bin bag with stuff for the charity shop.
now my larger trousers are getting tight so need to invest in some maternity jean i am glad i managed to get his far without needing them.

I've been buying a few maternity bits in the summer sales but I can't wear any of them yet, they bury me.

I'm still wearing normal size tops, and only in the past week have I thought I'd best stick to the baggy on the tummy ones so I don't stretch the fitted ones. I can get normal jeans/trousers on but not do the button up (I've been putting a loose belt over the top to stop the button bit sticking out under my top).

I got some under bump maternity jeans in the sale for £9. They are the only maternity thing I've brought that I could actually wear. Not sure if the shop I got them from had big sizes or what but the size 10 (which I would normally be in trousers) hung off me and the 8 fitted perfectly with room for stretch in the elastic.

I guess I am technically in month 5 so if you grow at the same rate as me you should get away with it until then

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->