Matthew has nursery on Fri - UPDATED!

bumpsmum

Mummy to Matthew & Daniel
Reaction score
As some of you fab girlies know things have been quite tough lately for me, I have pretty bad PND and anxiety issues and the usual woes that go along with having a premature baby which everyone here can sympathise with. My new HV has been great and helping alot.

She has looked into a temporary nursery spot for Matthew with a local council service, well he has been awarded 3 half day sessions a week basically to give me a break and begin to think about a staggered return to work and for company and support for Matthew as the staff are trained well and have a lot of input from physio/speech and language etc who can keep an eye on his develoment. I am really pleased he got the spot as its a great wee nursery and everyone is so friendly.

However I feel bad for putting him in so early when Im prob not going back to work until the New Year, I know he will benefit from it as there are another 2 babies his age in the nursery and he thrives on attention and company, more than I can offer him right now.

Also Im worried about leaving him there, I know he'll be fine but I prob wont haha expecting some tears and snot I think. The first few sessions I can stay then gradually spend some time in the tea-room until I feel ready to leave him for the full session, were going in Fri for a trial and to complete the paperwork etc but I already feel quite anxious about it all.

Anyone else's LO in nursery yet? I have only heard positive stories about wee ones going to nursery ie. less separation anxiety, better social skills etc guess Im just having one of those 'mummy madness moments' x x

UPDATE:

well our first day went really well (except the 30min walk that I usually love got me soaked to the skin - first impressions eh!) 2 out of the 3 staff were there and are just lovely, they are so warm and caring and gave all the kids lots of encouragement and praise. Matthew went to them no problem, he is very sociable so I dont see that ever being a problem. He will have his own wee care plan and daily diary etc to track his progress etc.

The other kids are a bit older between 1 and 3 but there is another baby that goes different days so dont feel too bad putting him in so young. The boys were all over Matthew giving him kisses and cuddles, all he wanted was to pinch their toys :rofl:

He will have a keyworker who is lovely I explained about his development and areas his dad and I would like Matthew to develop more ie mobility etc and she was great.

All the tots had snacktime it was the cutest thing I ever seen - 4 wee boys sat at a tiny table on tiny chairs scoffing yoghurt and there's Matthew propped up in a tiny highchair that he's still to small for having a yoghurt with them, had a lump in my throat watching that it was just toooooo cute. I spent some time in the parents kitchen with a cuppa to give him some space and he didnt even notice Id gone so its all good.........

From Tue he is officially at nursery :happydance: and I think its the best decision we made for him, were really pleased. Thankyou all for your kind words of support when Iv needed it most, you are all smashing girlies :hugs: x

You are doing the right thing. I have no experience, but I am going to put Emily into nursery at 6 months for a couple of days even though her daddy will be home to look after her. My sister works in a nursery and she says that children put into nurseries early benefit so much socially and actually have less seperation anxiety. She suggested that I put Emily in for a couple of days. My friend put her LO into nursery at 6 months and she is so glad as Liam is a well rounded child and is very independant which now at 3 years old is a godsend for her. When she takes him to nursery now, he can't wait for her to leave...he loves it!
At least you can stay for a few sessions to put your mind at rest and see how he is getting on.

Please don't beat yourself up over it and sending him early, at least when Matthew is away having fun you will have time to yourself to recover and come to terms with what happened to you and get yourself ready for returning to work. It must hard suffering from PND and having a premature baby. I know it is hard enough having a premature baby, the care for them should be the same as a normal baby but it never is, it is always worrying. Have just had my first month with Emily and it has been good but stressful at times.

I hope it all goes well Friday, keep us posted...big hugs, remember you are doing the right thing for Matthew...x

hello!

I think its a fab idea for you both, it may be a little tricky the first couple of sessions but it may not too! and if it is it will soon pass. bet Matthew loves it!

good luck you two:thumbup:

It's totally your decision hun, don't feel any pressure either way but it sounds like it could be good for you both.

I was/am kind of the other way in that it is more traumatic for me to leave Poppy and a lot of the 'issues' that I have are centred around this. I am lucky that we have a lot of social interaction with other children so I am not too concerned about her social skills development.

If you will have to put him in anyway when you go back to work, it would probably put your mind at rest to have him in earlier. Then you won't have work AND the worry of putting him in nursery all in one go.

Good luck on Friday. let us know how you get on xx

Good luck on Friday. I'm sure you will both be fine. Sounds like a great nursery. I'm sure he will have loads of fun!

Good luck tomorrow, hope it all goes well. Let us know how u get on. x

Feels like tomo is first day back at school hehe getting both our clothes ready, making sure his bag is all packed and he's scrubbed from head to toe. Will let you all know how he gets on x

how did it go? hope it went well for you both. x

Thanks for the update hun. So pleased it went well for you both, must be a huge relief. Main thing is, you make sure you get the rest and 'me time' you need while he is there.

Hey hun, sorry havent been on for a bit. Sooo glad all well went well and totally think yous are doing the right thing, he will benifit so much from nursery!!

After xmas am going to do the same and try and get Emma into to nursery one day a week.

Know its hard to detach yourself so well done to you!! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->