• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Maybe an odd question - donating breast milk?

tcinks

Reaction score
I lost my little girl 2 days ago at 21+5. It's been tough, and tonight I noticed my breasts are all of a sudden hard and sore. I think my milk supply is coming? It made me really sad at first, but I'm trying to stay positive. So I thought maybe since I don't need it, I can donate it. There is a hospital in my city that takes donations for moms who can't produce enough milk but want their little ones to have breast milk. The hospital pasteurizes it and everything.

Obviously my body doesn't know that my baby died? So if I started pumping I'd keep producing, right? I haven't actually had any milk come yet, maybe I won't. But if I do I'd like to donate it.

Maybe that sounds weird. I'm just trying to have something good come from my tragedy, and be able to bless other moms and babies.

Thoughts?

What an amazingly generous thought. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Different milk banks have different rules. Some want weeks of clear blood tests before they'll take anything, so you might be pumping and dumping for a while before they accept you.

I hope you get more relevant replies from Mums who have donated, sorry I can't be more help.
:hugs:

Thanks so much for your advice :)

Do yoy have a facebook? There are several pages, including Eats of feets, and human milk 4 human babies that are closed groups, and there are alwayse mommys looking for milk.
In my area its more common to just go right to the sorce, and skip over all of the milk banks, hospitals, ect..
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hi tcinks, I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs:
It is a beautiful thought to want to donate milk after losing your baby and I have heard of this before so you aren't the only one.

I am a milk donor and I was allowed to start collecting before the blood tests.

I think it might be best for you to contact a lactation consultant or similar to see what they suggest in order to get your milk to come in and increase supply. Since you are starting from scratch it might take a while.
Usually, if you wanted to get a full supply of milk you would be encouraged to pump every three hours. As kind as you are with wanting to donate I think that at the moment you would do better to look after yourself and get some sleep when you can. So that's why I think discussing your options with a consultant might be a good idea.

You might also want to contact your local milk bank. Mine only collects when I have two litres of milk ready for them but then again I don't live in the same town as the bank so they may let you start with less.

Regardless of how this goes I think you deserve plenty of hugs and love at the moment. Take care Xxx

Ohhhh no. I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful baby girl. I think it's a wonderful selfless thing to consider donation- I would imagine if you were to pump, your milk would indeed end up coming in. There are lots of privately arranged donations in my area through eats on feets and human milk 4 human babies- both sites have area-specific facebook groups.
I second the idea of speaking with a lactation consultant for a better idea of what to do.
Donation doesn't sound weird at all to me, it sounds wonderful. Sending you my love.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it's amazing that you're considering this.

My DD was in NICU the day after she was born and they had to give her milk. It really helped during a tough time to know she was getting donor breast milk rather than formula so that it didn't risk my breastfeeding relationship with her. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->