• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MC-D&C-RPOC-Misoprostol - TMI

Jk565

Reaction score
Hi ladies, this is my first post after haunting the forums for a while.
This post will be kinda long, my thanks in advance if you get through to the end. Im looking for some opinions or stories of someone who has maybe been through something similar, so please bear with me. Its been a confusing few weeks.
I had a FET on January 3rd this year, with a BFP confirmed later that month. Things were going well- we had a heart beat and measuring scan at 8 weeks which showed everything was on track and graduated from the IVF clinic to the OB.
At 10weeks, on February 24th, went in for a routine scan pre-NIPT blood test (my OB likes to scan to make sure everything is still OK before paying for the NIPT blood tests). Scan showed that the baby had stopped growing, measuring at 8+1. We had no warning, spotting or cramps etc and it came as a complete shock that we had miscarried.
I was booked in for a D&C the next day, still no spotting or bleeding etc. The D&C all went well apparently. As far as I am aware it was not ultrasound guided (I had a general anaesthetic). After the D&C I had bleeding, similar to a period, for the first day or two, which then faded to brown spotting. The spotting was solved with a liner, not enough to require a pad, but this went on for 2 1/2 weeks.
Spotting stopped on March 14th, and I thought that was it- all over, time to wait for period, everything is done and dusted.
Six days after the spotting had stopped, so on Friday March 20th, I had some bright red runny blood. It happened whilst I was on the toilet and stopped almost straight away, fading back to brown spotting. On Monday morning the same thing happened- bright red blood, which faded almost immediately back to brown spotting. During this time I had lower back ache and some cramping, but nothing too severe.
I had an internal scan that afternoon which showed some retained POC, measuring 1cmx0.8cmx0.6cm. The OB was not too concerned but gave me a course of misoprostol. On Tuesday March 24th at 4pm I took 4 x 200mcg misoprostol intervaginally at 4pm, and took myself off to bed to wait, reading horror stories of misoprostol on the net to really get into the spirit of things. I had some light cramps, and the back ache continued, but I can't really say it was any worse then what I had had during the spotting episodes of the week before. Also some chills, but if I hadn't read about them on the net during my research I wouldn't have noticed them.
I took a second dose 12 hours later and went back to sleep, hoping they would work by the time I woke up.
Unfortunately the tablets didnt seem to do anything- even the brown spotting had stopped completely by 48 hours, no increase in cramps or back ache (it continued, but did not get worse).
On Friday (March 27th) I went back to see my OB. He did a trans-abdominal scan but couldn't really see anything. He doesn't seem to be a fan of internal scans which surprised me. After doing IVF, Ive almost come to expect them. He said the retained POC would likely get re-absorbed or pass during AF, which should appear 5-6 weeks after the D&C.
He also said that spotting that comes and goes is nothing to worry about, but rather I should be on the lookout for "period like bleeding that lasts for 2 days". If that happens, come back in for a repeat D&C.
Last night (Sat 28th) I was watching TV and had some back ache and cramps. Thought nothing of it and went to bed. This morning I woke up to more bright red blood, heavier then last time, and doesn't seem to be letting up as quickly. I have a back ache still and some cramping, not severe enough to think "I really need painkillers" but more of the "Maybe I should take something, in case this goes on or gets worse"
About an hour ago I passed one of the Misoprostol tablets, pretty much whole. Could clearly see the hexagonal shape. It doesn't appear to have dissolved at all. Now, I took 8 of these things over a 12 hour period, so maybe one not activating is not so bad, but just wondering how many others may be in there whole still.
Now, the really confusing part- my Doc said I should come back if I have two days of period like bleeding. How am I meant to tell that apart from actual AF?
Also, has anyone (who has made it this far) had a similar recovery from a D&C with RPOC? How did it end for you?
And if you had Misoprostol, did it ever take 5 days to start working? Everything on line points to working within 24, or not at all.

Thanks for reading through this, I appreciate any insights.

First of all I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have been on quite the roller coaster. I wish I could help more but my situation was very different. I did however use misoprostol. I took one dose which did next to nothing and then I did a second dose 24 hours later which worked very quickly (within 3 hours the bleeding had started). One of the pills came out whole just as you described but apparently there was enough in my system because it definitely worked to clear everything out. I can't imagine it taking 5 days to work... But I'm also not a doctor.

I would call your doctor to see if they can clarify what they want you to do or help you to understand what is going on. I can't tell you how many times I called mine during my miscarriage process.

Hang in there, it'll get easier with time.

Thanks for your reply .hopeful.one. I figure I have a lazy uterus, and that why the Misoprostol didnt work!
Just an update, in case anyone finds their way here in the future:
I had period like, red bleeding all day Sunday, and all day Monday. The bleeding abruptly stopped on Monday evening, and now (Tuesday midday) its pretty much gone, not even heavy enough to be called spotting. Too short, too light and too early to be AF.
I spoke to the OB via his secretary- he said that its a good sign that the bleeding has stopped and that I don't have fever or pain. If I have any more bleeds I will need to come in and see him- Murphys law this will be this week- right before the Easter break and our trip to visit family.
So until I get more bleeding, or something resembling AF appears in 2 weeks or so, its just wait and see. I have a review booked in with our IVF doc to discuss the mc and 'the plan' from here, I will ask if she can do (or order) a scan to check those RPOC are gone.

Just coming back to update in case anyone ever stumbles across this looking for answers.
AF arrived today, 8 weeks exactly since the D&C.
My FS (RE) had said there could be three causes for the recurrent bleeds (I had five all up, lasting from a single incident to two full days worth): Infection, and inflammatory response, or hormonal. As I had no infection signs, and on my last US I had ovulated it was likely hormonal- my body trying to work out what to do.
From here I am going to wait a cycle to let my body get back to normal and give my poor uterus a break from being over analysed and mistrusted (by me). From there if things go well, we will try for a natural FET in the cycle after.
Miscarriages are awful awful things. It will get better over time but unfortunately we are very much passengers for the most part- our bodies will do what they do and we have no control over what and when.
I wish everyone the best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->