McDonalds being sued for 'luring kids' with happy meals

aliss

Reaction score
McDonalds being sued for 'luring kids' with happy meals

Excerpt:
LOS ANGELES/SAN FRANCISCO — A U.S. consumer group is suing McDonald's Corp. to stop the world's largest hamburger chain from using Happy Meal toys to lure children into its restaurants.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest is representing a Sacramento mother of two in the lawsuit, which alleges unfair marketing and other violations of California's consumer protection law. It does not seek monetary damages.

"The lawsuit is about the change, not the money," CSPI litigation director Stephen Gardner said.

"We are proud of our Happy Meals and intend to vigorously defend our brand, our reputation and our food," said McDonald's spokeswoman Bridget Coffing. "We listen to our customers, and parents consistently tell us they approve of our Happy Meals."

Read more: https://www.theprovince.com/health/...+Happy+Meals/3982707/story.html#ixzz18HiwMrkc

It's hard for me to understand this as mine still has zero interest in food. I somehow can't help but disagree. I think it is yet another step towards precedent of no personal responsibility in US law.

I don't see how they can be sued...its the parent's choice to buy their child a happy meal....its not like a 5 year old would walk into mcdonalds his/herself and buy a happy meal, lol.

Madness, people need to take some responsibility for their own actions

^wss! Well it's like that lady that sued Mcdonalds for making her fat. I believe she won too.

Honestly, if a parent decides that their child has enough power to force them into buying a happy meal, it's wrong.
Parent's actions and choices not children's in regards to that. Eugh.

I work for a McDonalds and if people said it was making their children fat here are a few choices - swap your fizzy juice or milkshakes for an orange juice or water. Swap your chips for a carrot bag or a fruit bag. Small changes food wise, big dietry wise.

I just heard this this morning and thought geez... :wacko:
I think McDs has done the best they can in regards to happy meals. You can swap the fries for an apple bag and the fizzy drink for water or juice.
All fast food places (BK, KFC etc.) do happy meals and they all come with some sort of toy.

For goodness sake! Parental responsibility - enough said!

That is ridiculous!!! It is not hard to "no" to a child who wants a Happy Meal. However, I believe that everything in moderation is the way - and Tegan has had a Happy Meal. She doesn't have it often enough to ask for it though.

I still think McDonalds is deceitful though. They do use advertising towards children towards an unhealthy product. And they make it seem like healthy choices, but apples dipped in caramel is not healthy, their meat is disgusting and has ammonia in it, tomatoes are ripened from gas, not naturally ripened, just so much shit.

I hate McDonalds.

McDonalds has changed food in North America. They are the largest buyers of meat, potatoes, lettuce and tomatoes. They genetically have altered these foods so our people are massively fat. They load everything up with sodium.

They arent asking for money, they just want kids not to be lured in by toys.

I work in McDonalds and being honest, I see more 'normal' sized adults come in and buy a big mac or cheeseburger meal then I do see children and 'bigger' people.
It is not that luring.

Plus, I had a look at the back of the tray mats because I was on front tills today and did you know a cheeseburger only has 295 Kcal in it, that's with everything on it as well. It's not AS fatty as people may think.

But it is full of a lot of chemicals and shit that people shouldn't even be eating. It is not actual food.

I think this is ridiculous and yet another example of people not taking responsibility for their own actions!

Ridiculous. I suppose the children buying happy meals earn their own money, drive/ walk to the shops and order a happy meal themselves :dohh:

My girls are avoiding, last 2 times they have been very physically sick after eating happy meals :(

It's the American Dream... to SUE SUE SUE... Try Youtubing the Wierd Al Yankovich song that goes something like "I'm gonna sue!"... hilarious, but SO TRUE!

I think accusing the chain of "luring in kids" is ridiculous, because as someone else said, what kid is going to go in the store alone and buy the happy meal? I think Mcdonalds did good in offering different choices (apple dippers, and you can even ask for a side salad if your kid likes them for a small charge!, apple juice, milk, water..)and my family eats mcdonalds about twice a month, maybe three times... The kids always get happy meals, but with apples and juice , or i get one apples and one fries and they split both ... My kids are active and healthy, as are my husband and I, and I could never imagine suing mcdonalds..... (and i worked for them for 9 years...) for lack of responsibility on my part..

But it is full of a lot of chemicals and shit that people shouldn't even be eating. It is not actual food.

Really? Can you name the chemicals that are in it that make it "not actual food" ?

I worked there for 9 years and was always under the impression that it was made with 100% usda ground beef. When I started there (2000) toppings were ALL fresh ... I had to cut tomatoes, lettuce, onions. Cheese and pickles came in the same form/containers as in any grocery store. Same as mustard, ketchup, mac sauce and tartar sauce and mayonaise.

French fries come from Idaho Potatoes (least here...) and were cooked in vegetable oil. Oil vats changed daily and cleaned thoroughly weekly (as mandated by the state's health department).

Fish is processed from Cod.

Chicken nuggets were mixed meat, now ALL white meat and breaded (which most people know is not the healthiest anyway... if you want a healthy option go for Grilled Chicken - actual chicken put on the flat grill....)

Hamburgers and all other meats (chicken,fish,sausage, etc) are cooked to internal temp of whatever it is supposed to be (varies by meat).

Eggs are REAL eggs when "round", and flat and scrambled are "egg substitute" like Egg Beaters you can find in any grovery store.

Cookies were baked from real cookie dough.

I'm sorry , but I can't stand when people blame mcdonalds for their health, etc. when nutritional guides are always available.

Like I said, I worked for the company for MANY years and even though when I quit I "walked out" on my shift, I can't think of a single complaint about the actual FOOD. Ifp eople looked at it realisitcally, they may not talk to badly about it (IE health nuts talk how bad it is, well , when all you put in your body is healthy stuff, it IS going to mess with your system - but mostp eople who eat burgers and fries know this! Fat people know it too, they just want to blame someone!)

I still think McDonalds is deceitful though. They do use advertising towards children towards an unhealthy product. And they make it seem like healthy choices, but apples dipped in caramel is not healthy, their meat is disgusting and has ammonia in it, tomatoes are ripened from gas, not naturally ripened, just so much shit.

I hate McDonalds.

McDonalds has changed food in North America. They are the largest buyers of meat, potatoes, lettuce and tomatoes. They genetically have altered these foods so our people are massively fat. They load everything up with sodium.

They arent asking for money, they just want kids not to be lured in by toys.

Please please point me to where I can read this information? I just saw this after quoting/responding to another post of your's.
I worked for a store who got tomatoes from the produce store down the road because it saved money for the store, so I'm curious about where you get your "facts" from?
Of course thy market to kids, same as cereal companies and toy stores! Doesn't mean the parent has to give in when the kid asks for it...
And, BTW, the caramel is low fat, with only 6Cal coming from fat.. The downfall is the high sugar, but here's a secret: you don't HAVE to give your kid the caramel just because it is there! My kids get the apples and we never get the caramel because I prefer them to eat fruit naturally and enjoy the taste of it that way ;)

I started him on McDs young!!!

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 17
lol ! yea my oldest would have starved it not for mcdonalds... i worked there throughout that pregnancy and ate it 2-3 times a day :x oops..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->