measuring ahead and babys heads low... what does this mean

brittany12

Mommy x’s 2
Reaction score
So I have tons of pressure and pain so he wanted to check me just to be safe. He said her head is very low but I'm not dilated and also measuring a week to a week and a head ahead. He said he thinks she may be a big baby and with me not being very big itmakes it tough on me. I have an uultrasound scheduled for the 19th to check her size.

Does this mean she could come early on her own? He told me that's what he's hoping for.

Now I'm a little nervous

Of course she could! Baby can decide to put you into labor at any moment, dialated or not. So don't get too hung up if you're not dialated or whatever. It can happen overnight. Hopefully she comes at 39 weeks for you, bc that would be good for her health yet a bit early for you!
As a disclaimer though, my babies always measured ahead, yet I had to be induced at 41+3 and 41. So just like dialation, I don't think measuring ahead necessarily means anything either. ( and yes mine were big babies, 9 lb ers but again they were also at least a week past due.....)
This baby measured 12 days ahead at my last appt ( 24 wks) and the dr made a comment about maybe baby coming a bit early, and I lauged in his face. ( this is a new dr for me, not the one who delivered my other two, and he has no clue). But of course your little one may come a bit early! :) here's hoping right!

The thing about it is, these babies all have minds of their own! They could come at any time- early, on time, late. I have a friend who suddenly went into labor at 37 weeks without any warning signs- hadn't lost her mucus plug, no contractions prior to labor starting, no effacement and less than 1 cm dilated, etc. She was very surprised to say the least. I, on the other hand, progressively dilated and effaced from 36 weeks on with my DS. At 40 weeks I was 4cm and 90% effaced, baby was engaged, my fundal height was 1-2 weeks head each week, and yet I still went a week overdue. It sucked!!

I'm hoping this one will come a little earlier!

oh wow! yeah, were hoping she comes on her own early because with the way he was talking I don't think he wants me going over 40 weeks. We actually scheduled an induction for the 16th which will put me past 40 weeks but not quite to 41. He said that depending on the ultrasound we do in 2 weeks we may have to move it up a week.

He is worried about me being able to deliver a big baby. He knows my fear of C-section and is trying to find common ground with her coming on her own, being safe and fully developed and my safety/well being.

Sounds like you will come up with the best plan. Get the most information and go from there.

It's interesting bc my sister in law who is Philippino and has the tiniest frame, super petite, delivered a baby 9 lb 3 oz. we were all astonished! It's amazing what your body can do. But not fun or ideal.
Hopefully your baby just comes and then it's settled for you!

exactly! that would be the best thing for us all!

my mom was small too when she was having us (about my size) and my brother was 6 something and i was 7 even and she had issues delivering us which is why it worries me about her being 8 or more pounds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->