Measuring small..

Trappy

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I don't post here much at all, I'm more of an observer :) I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice. I just had my 32 week midwife appointment and I've been told my fundal height is measuring small. At 28 weeks I was measuring 26cms which was small but not enough to worry, now at 32 weeks I'm measuring between 28-29cms. She said she would have liked to see more growth but she isn't too worried. However I've been booked in for an extra appointment in 2 weeks to measure again and then an ultrasound after this. Should I be worried? Is this common? Every where I go people are shocked I'm 32 weeks and I get comments daily about how small my bump is. I think people are trying to say it as a compliment but it just makes me worry. Just wondering if anyone is or has been in a similar situation?

Me! I have measured small with both my previous pregnancies and got sent for a growth scan with DD, which was all fine. She was almost 9lbs and birth. I measured two weeks behind with DS and he was just short of 10lbs, so not small babies! this time I've measured even more behind. At my 32 week appointment I was measuring 29 and got sent for an ultrasound, which showed baby on the 50th percentile. At my last appointment at 38 weeks I was measuring 32, so got sent for another scan - again baby on the 50th percentile. They said they wouldn't bother scanning me again, since it's just my body shape that gives baby plenty of room. I'm 5.10 with a really long torso. I have another appointment today for a sweep, but this time with a different midwife so I'm really hoping she doesn't send me for yet another scan!
What they really want to see is growth between appointments. My last one was a worry because I had shrunk by 2cm in a week, but even then there wasn't actually a problem. If they send you for an ultrasound it's just to check baby's growth and your fluid levels. I would try not to worry too much although I know it's hard!

Me! I have measured small with both my previous pregnancies and got sent for a growth scan with DD, which was all fine. She was almost 9lbs and birth. I measured two weeks behind with DS and he was just short of 10lbs, so small babies! this time I've measured even more behind. At my 32 week appointment I was measuring 29 and got sent for an ultrasound, which showed baby on the 50th percentile. At my last appointment at 38 weeks I was measuring 32, so got sent for another scan - again baby on the 50th percentile. They said they wouldn't bother scanning me again, since it's just my body shape that gives baby plenty of room. I'm 5.10 with a really long torso. I have another appointment today for a sweep, but this time with a different midwife so I'm really hoping she doesn't send me for yet another scan!
What they really want to see is growth between appointments. My last one was a worry because I had shrunk by 2cm in a week, but even then there wasn't actually a problem. If they send you for an ultrasound it's just to check baby's growth and your fluid levels. I would try not to worry too much although I know it's hard!

Thanks for replying! I'm glad it doesn't particularly mean there's a problem. I do have a fairly long torso so that might be why. You've made me feel much better :)

I'm 38 weeks measuring 32cm if that helps x

So I guess it can be fairly common then? It really does help to hear other peoples experiences, I'm a first time mum so I had no idea if it was something to really worry about or not :)

I was measuring small so went for a scan and I'm now having fortnightly scans as he's measuring on the 9th centile. He's consistently on that growth line though so he's just a smaller baby and nothing to worry about. Fingers crossed for an easier birth with him being smaller ;)

I was measuring small so went for a scan and I'm now having fortnightly scans as he's measuring on the 9th centile. He's consistently on that growth line though so he's just a smaller baby and nothing to worry about. Fingers crossed for an easier birth with him being smaller ;)

My mum said the same thing when I told her baby might be a bit small, she just said that's good easier to push out :p hopefully it will mean an easier labour for us both.

I have a long torso too and I didn't really get a good-sized baby bump (one that people I don't know can actually notice) until well over 7 months. People I work with and am friends with could tell, but I had a few people at 8 months finding out I was pregnant still. Now of course with 5 or so days to go, there's no denying it...

My baby's measuring a bit on the small side, but not by much now. Last week's scan guessed 6lb 7oz, so the LO will probably be well over 7 lbs if it goes the full 40 weeks (considering it was measuring 5lb 8oz on the scan two weeks prior!). Drs were not at all concerned about baby's size though.

I've been measuring behind while with my first I measured either bang on or ahead, I was 28 at 32 and that's when they decided to do a scan at 34w (well 39w6d) and he's growing perfectly fine in there. On the worrisome side they did tell me my amniotic fluid was low and needed to be monitored. (Which I never thought about as a possibility!) My coming apt is April 2nd when I will be 36 weeks and will have weekly ultrasounds and nst's to make sure baby doesn't need to come out. My doctor has reassured me that baby coming out at this point really is nothing to worry about, because if anything its just a few days in the hospital.

I get the same thing of people commenting on how small my bump is and there is no way I can be 8 months and when I reassure them that I am they tell me how lucky I am. And to be honest sometimes I want to scream at them... but it happens so often that I know I can't or I'd be yelling atppeople all day. Just got to learn to shrug it off and know they mean well and they don't know what could or could not be going on.

i was induced due to iugr at 38 weeks.
at 32 weeks was on the 10th percentile but scanned every week and the weight kept dropping xx

Thanks for the replies, I guess it's better to monitor the baby just incase. I'll find out in a couple of weeks but I'm pretty sure there isn't a problem, the baby is always moving. I'll try not to take it the wrong way when people tell me I look to small to be over 7 months, I know they don't mean it as an insult. I'm usually pretty thick skinned, I think pregnancy has made me a but more sensitive!

I'm always told I'm small as well, fundal height was just measured at 26cm at 30 weeks, but no one is worried at all. I had a growth scan due to GD at 28 weeks and baby was in 30th percentile.

My fundal height has been measuring 2-4 weeks behind since about 28 weeks. Baby is measuring big through ultra sound though, he is in the 66 percentile.

I was induced last week, he was born at 37+3 on Friday weighing 5lb 15oz and he's just perfect. We were home after 12 hours xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->