Medela Swing Pump

Popples1

Reaction score
Eeek! I've just read a rather scary article about the Medela Swing not being a closed system and that milk can travel back up the suction tube and into the unit. You can't clean this part so it can potentially grow Bactria and contaminate the milk. I paid £100 for this pump so am now more than a little pissed off and wondering if I should get something else. Does anyone else have one?

It is possible for milk to suck back up into the tube, but after 5 months of pumping every day (maximum of 5 times a day for 40 mins at a time) I've only had milk get sucked barely into the pipe once. That said it barely went up and I broke the suction immediately so it couldn't go far. It had just been caused by the membrane not releasing which was solved by a new one in it's place.

You'll know if you have the risk of it happening as there's a clear noise change to the suction to slushing from milk building up.

Really can't say about the bacteria part as to me anything really has a bacterial risk.

Thanks. We've actually bought a different pump now anyway so I can express from both boobs at once. I think you're probably right though and the risk is relatively low x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->