Medela vs. Ameda breast pumps

dairymomma

Reaction score
I lucked out and got a Medela Pump and Flow (or something like that) a couple years ago and used it while breastfeeding both my kids. I LOVED LOVED LOVED it but it crapped out on me just before I weaned my DD. With this baby, I was offered a Medela Pump and Style to take home after I deliver (insurance would probably cover the cost). I signed the paperwork and figured I'd hear about it in July when I have the baby. Nope. The medical supply place called yesterday and said they were shipping me one now. It just came and it's not the Medela I was told I was getting. It's an Ameda Purely Yours. The only thing I can think of is that somewhere along the line, someone misread the paperwork. I was told I'd get the Medela pump when I delivered and it's the one the hospital (where I'll be delivering) stocks. However, the medical supply place that shipped me this new pump is in a town halfway across the state but supplies all the hospitals within it's network, one of which is my hospital. I've been reading reviews on the Ameda and they are so-so. From what I can see, it's nicer because it's not stuck in the bag (like Medala's pumps are), it's got bottle holders so no tipped bottles, and there's less chance of moisture getting into the tubes. However, many of the reviews said you need to change valves once a month or else it doesn't work right (inexpensive but a hassle and the valves are fragile), it's noisier than the Medela pump, and it's easily broken. Everyone said the company is awesome about getting replacement pumps and parts to them (usually within a few days) but it's just a pain in the rear if you have to keep doing that.

So now I don't know what to do. Insurance paid for this one so I'm thinking I'm stuck with it. But I had my heart set on the Medela and I loved my old one so much. Do I call and see if I can switch it? See if I can return this one and just get the Medela when I deliver instead? Has anyone on here used the Ameda and had good luck? If this baby follows the same patterns my other kids did, I'll be using this pump pretty steadily in the first few weeks until my baby's tummy catches up to my supply, then it'll be once or twice a day to keep a stash in the freezer. I plan to exclusively breast feed but I lost my supply with both my kids at 5 months so the more I can stash in the freezer the better.

I haven't heard any of those bad things about the ameda, from what I understand it's a far more hardwearing pump than Medela and it's closed system. The only problem with the Ameda when I had mine was that the cycling and suction on the highest settings just wasn't enough for me especially when double pumping but even when single pumping it was just ok. Having used the Ameda hospital pump I was already used to that being far more adjustable and powerful and the lactaline/purely yours was disappointing in comparison. I do need the suction/cycling to be set higher than average though as it's the only way my body responds at all to a pump xx

That's what I'm worried about because I had to have my Medela set on the highest setting, but I was usually pumping both sides too so I don't know. I have pumped on one side alone but usually only after my baby had nursed the other side dry. If I was pumping while in town or on a trip or something, I had to pump both sides in order to get a good let down on either side. :shrug: I think what I'm going to do is talk to the nurse at my next appt and see what can be done to get things switched. If I can't swap them out, then I'll try the Ameda and see what happens I guess.

I've used the Ameda purely yours for a couple months now and it's been good. In the last month it has been having issues pumping evenly when I do both sides; one side will pump way more then the other. But it might be the seal on tube isn't tight enough and I think i'm losing some suction. Other than that i've been pretty happy with it. I can usually pump 2 oz on both sides in about 10 minutes and I never go to the highest suction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->