Meeting baby Mark for the 1st time

keepinitreal1

1st time mom
Reaction score
I have read through so many birth stories here in the past months and it really helped me prepare for my first labor, so I thought I'd share it with you. I am sorry for any spelling mistakes - my mind is a bit foggy right now :)

Mark was born on the 1st of April at 12:53 weighing at 3.140kg and 50cm long. The night before we were joking that since we really wanted him to wait until 2nd of April so he'd share a birthday with my hubby, the baby will surely make April's fools out of us and arrive a day early (although technically he was exactly a week late, so 41 weeks). I was 4 cm dilated for a week before, so it was only a matter of time.

The night before I started having really sharp, stabbing pains around my midsection but attributed them to the baby moving and pushing on my nerves. Had no real other issues - no major plug loss, no bloody show. So just went to bed.

Woke up at 6 a.m. with sharp pains in my abdomen - it felt like period pains, but much stronger, and like someone was squeezing my insides. Turned on the contraction app and quickly realized they were coming about 6 min apart already. Woke up hubby so he could get a shower. Started breathing through contractions since they hurt quite a bit. My cat was completely distressed by my pain and keep crying and trying to cuddle with me - didn't leave my site for the entire hour before we left.

Anway the contractions were about 5 min apart so I went to check on hubby and found him sitting in the bath, calmly trimming his toenails. Could have killed him on the spot. He later admitted that he didn't quite believe it was the real thing.

30 min later got to the car and went to the hospital. Contractions were about 4 min apart at this point and slowly but surely moving from my abdomen to my back so I was in quite a lot of pain. Hooked up to CTG at the labor ward and it didn't register any contractions (???) so they were debating sending me home. Thankfully I demanded an exam and as it turned out, I was at 5 cm and they were ready to admit me. The dr. said - well, it seems you really are in labor with such a puzzled face while looking at the CTG readings that I would have punched him at that moment. I mean you don't say, Sherlock, and here I was regretting all the beans I had for dinner :dohh:

Got admitted, received a not so lovely enema, but I was happy about that since I didn't want to poo all over during labour - at that point I was still very concentrated on looking proper and all that - haha how quickly that changed :shrug:

Fast forward we got into the delivery room and I was already at 7 cm and received nothing for the pain by this point. They hooked me up to CTG which ment that I could only lie on my back (not a desirable option) or on my left side. I was hoping I would be able to move around but it wasn't happening. The doctor broke my waters (hubby didn't turn away and was quite pale after this) and I finally got G&A. I am a little unsure of how much it actually did for me though. I could still talk in between contractions though and I remember thinking that if this was it, I'd be able to get through it just fine. Well... :nope:

I got to 9 cm on G&A and for the last 30 min the pain was excruiating. The midwife gave me about a million internals and that hurt more than contractions. I think she was stretching me to finish it off as quickly ss possible and it really, really hurt. I remember that at one point I was given a wet cold towel for my forehead and I didn't seem to grasp what it was for. Hubby asked what I wanted him to do with the towel and I told him to take it and strangle me with it :haha: To be honest, I think that my idea of labour was a bit optimistic until that point.

So we were sitting at 9 cm for about an hour and I could feel the baby pushing down but didn't dare to push yet. Midwife noticed and said she would start me on some pitocin to get me to 10 cm. As I have given up my G&A at 8cm because I couldn't breathe long breaths anymore and preffered quick breathing to pain relief, I broke down at that point and asked for some additional pain relief. She didn't want to give me any but hubby insisted so I got 1/2 a dose of dolantin. I got quite vocal st this point, grunting and moaning which the midwife was not happy about but I didn't care.

The next 15 minutes are a blur for me, since I was apparently high as a kite and don't remember a single thing. Hubby says that I was just looking around with glass eyes and making nonsensical comments about the delivey room. I also got another internal at this point but I don't remember a thing. In those 15 min, the pitocin did its job and we got to 10 cm.

When the midwife said we were ready to push it was like the fog in my head instantly cleared - I was sooo ready to be done and over with this. He wanted me to hold my legs and push my head to my chest when pushing, but I couldn't concentrate so I held my head back. Hubby tried to push it down and later said that it was like trying to move a concrete wall - I was so stiff that it was impossible for me to move. Another trial push and the midwife was telling me to hold myself under my knees. Dolantin talking, I told her in a dead serious voice that I had my knees since birth and I know what I am doing. A moment later, decided to tell her that she can hold my legs if she wants to and kicked her for good measure. Ooops :dohh::dohh:

After all that decided I've really had enough and just pushed as hard as I could. Head came with the first contraction and the body with the second. So basically he was out in two good pushed and less than 5 min. I must say that pushing him out was far easier for me than the contractions before. It was almost like being heavily constipated and trying to get it out.

From the first contraction that woke me up to the moment we got to meet our first born the whole thing took 6 hours which I am told super quick and efficient for the first birth. We were in delivery room for about 3 hours and as I already said, the pushing phase was only about 5 min. Later the midwife told me that if we have any more kids, I should get to the hospital quite quickly the next time :haha:

I got a small internal tear but no big deal, it's not 5 days after labour, we've been home for 3 days and while I am still sore, I will say that the pain is easily manageable.

Baby Mark was quite happy about his quick delivery as well, got all 9's on Agpar and looked beautiful since he didn't suffer long in the birth canal - he had no swelling and a lovely color from the moment he was born. And yes - I also wanted to know how many fingers he's got the moment he was out. Hubby jokingly told me he has all 6 so it's all good and I was so exhausted I just kept nodding and saying that's great :blush:

I think that is it. We have a couple of funny stories to go with it but I will post those in the appropriate thread. Needless to say, I wouldn't go give birth right now again, but I count myself lucky to have had such a nice experience. And my little prince (the photo is about 3 hours after birth) is stunning, I am completely inlove. :cloud9:t

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 48
Amazing birth story! I really laughed at your hubby trimming his toe nails in the bath, good timing 👍 And kicking your pissy midwife in the face, I've done that 😂

Aww he's gorgeous, congratulations!

What a great birth story! Laughed at a few parts 😂 congratulations!

Congratulations! too funny about hubby trimming his toenails in the bath :haha:

I was really annoyed by your midwife :grr:

Congrats, I too laughed about your hubby trimming his nails in the bath :rofl:

Haha that was so fun to read! Your midwife sounds so annoying, I'm glad you kicked her! :p

Congrats, Mark is so beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->