Mefanamic acid (ponstan) question

debzie

Mammy to two girls.
Reaction score
Mefanamic acid (ponstan) question
Hello ladies just wanted to know if anyone has any wisdom on this topic as I have had so many conflicting answers from professionals.

I take mefanamic acid for painfull periods prescribed by my GP. In the leaflet it states that it can cause fertility problems if ttc.

I have spoken with my pharmacist and nurse practitioner and these both stated that this is only if you are taking it regularly for other inflammatory pain. They suggested taking it only when I need to during the first few days of my cycle will not effect my chances.

Google is my enemy and friend and I have looked this up and nothing I have read can give me a definitive answer. All suggest that taking it regularly can impact on your chances as can ibuprofen etc.. and all should not be taken in pregnancy.

Thanks in advance having a really bad crampy period and am in agony.

Well, I've for sure read advil and aleve which are anti-inflammatory meds CAN affect fertility and especially implantation. I've never heard of the med you're referencing. I would say if you're getting conflicting information~ so play it safe if you can. I personally try to avoid taking absolutely ANYTHING bc you never really know. I know it's hard, especially if you're in pain.. really only you can determine how bad it is and if you can tolerate or work through it without the meds.. if you can~ I probably would try to! :hugs:

Thanks hollyw last month stayed clear but this month the cramps are really bad. They are a nonsteroidal anti inflamtory similar family to advil you get in the states. Also posted this in the ttc forum and another lady said asking as you just take it for yhe first few days its fine. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->