Mei Tai Babyhawk help please

tillykins

Reaction score
My mai tai arrived this morning, my lo is 12 weeks but a big boy at 17lb so i figured he doesnt need to be in froggy position but legs out,am i right ,plus his head is awfully wobbly and hes pushing his face into me which doesn't feel safe,.Any advice would be great please x

I think froggy or not is more to do with how the baby is comfy rather than their size. If he will lie in the froggy position then I would put him in in that position, I think it would be better for his hips and stuff. Some babies just don't like froggy position though. If his head is wobbly, you probably need to seat him deeper into the carrier so that his head is properly supported by the headrest and tie it nice and tight. Once he's in, if you hold onto the long straps but don't tie them and then bounce up and down, he should sit down deeper into it and then tie it tight. If his head still wobbles when the headrest is properly behind him, you can always roll a muslin up behind him like a head hugger. Just keep an eye on him.

I think froggy or not is more to do with how the baby is comfy rather than their size. If he will lie in the froggy position then I would put him in in that position, I think it would be better for his hips and stuff. Some babies just don't like froggy position though. If his head is wobbly, you probably need to seat him deeper into the carrier so that his head is properly supported by the headrest and tie it nice and tight. Once he's in, if you hold onto the long straps but don't tie them and then bounce up and down, he should sit down deeper into it and then tie it tight. If his head still wobbles when the headrest is properly behind him, you can always roll a muslin up behind him like a head hugger. Just keep an eye on him.

Thanks, just tried your advice out and hes seated deeper which means the headrest is supporting him at the back but he keeps banging as head on me at the front! Am I doing this all wrong? I thought it would just come naturally! He's very happy in it unti he hits his face off me. Apologies for so many questions x

When my LO was young, she used to lie with her head forward onto my chest. Basically, the mei tai was just instead of me holding her against me, so I would have him so that his head is resting on your chest (face turned to one side so his face doesn't get squished). If the head rest doesn't hold him in that position (I wouldn't think it would), that's when I'd put a rolled up muslin behind his head so that his head doesn't flop back. As he gets better head control, you'll be able to take the muslin out as he will be able to hold his head back/up if he wants. My LO is a year old now and she still rests her head on my chest to go to sleep.

Thanks for all your help, going to try the muslin tomorrow x

I carry my LO in his mei tai every day, when we're walking around, I quite often keep my hand on my LO's head (well on the fabric of the mei tai where his head is). It just keeps him a llittle more stable, he'll sometimes fall asleep with his head facing into my chest, I just check every so often to make sure he can breathe..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->