Membrane sweep at 38 weeks. Yes or No?

Hope83

Me, DH, DS & DD :)
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,
I'm after some advice.
My doctor said he would do a membrane sweep for me next week at 38w1d. I've read on here that a lot of women are getting sweeps done and i know that it won't necessarily Work anyways but is it a good idea?
I never had this situation with ds since he came on his own at 37 weeks.
I want to go all natural again but am worried by getting a sweep I would "force" my body into labor. Not sure if that make sense and I certainly don't want to cause a debatte.
Im just after some pros/ cons!

Thank You in advance :flower:

Personally I wouldn't, just seems too early but each to their own. Depends how bad you want baby out :haha:

I am due to have one next Wednesday when I am 37+1. If I wasn't being induced at 38 weeks because of gestational diabetes I wouldn't be having one, well not until I was well overdue anyway. I would much rather baby came of her own accord and I am gutted that I have to have her early, but I know its for the good of her health and mine. So I suppose my stance is if its medically necessary then yes but just if its just to meet baby sooner then no.

All personal preference though :thumbup:

Thanks Ladies,
I'm just wondering why my doctor is so open to offering a sweep that early though?
My friend was offered a sweep at 37 weeks and it send her right into labor.

I will probably agree to be checked out but will deny the sweep for now.

I'm surprised they would offer it that early as well. My doctor hasn't offered yet (he might today though) but then he doesn't like anything that's not absolutely necessary, so he may not even ask until next week. If your baby isn't ready to come, it won't come-that being said, I don't know a lot about sweeps, just the basics, so I don't know if it really 'forces' them to come; but if your body starts contractions and isn't ready, they may just stop. I would ask when she offers it if there is a reason she thinks it's necessary now, and if there is any downside to doing it this early. Good luck!

My doctor offered me one at 38 and 39 weeks, both which failed. If you want to try it, go for it! Baby won't come, and it will not work unless s/he is ready and your body is ready!

I'm really surprised your doctor is already offering! IF my doctor offered next week at 39 weeks...I'd take it. My doctor offered with my daughter at 38 1/2 weeks, but I had already been in labor since 34 weeks and I was at 3 cm by this time and almost fully effaced. Literally, hanging by a thread, and super uncomfortable and miserable. I took her offer and went into labor the next morning. This time around, there's been no talk of a sweep.

My doctor offered me one at 38 and 39 weeks, both which failed. If you want to try it, go for it! Baby won't come, and it will not work unless s/he is ready and your body is ready!

Thank you for your response.
Did the sweeps result in anything? Bleeding, cramping, etc.?
Were you dialated at all?

I personally won't be considering one unless I go seriously overdue or if there's a medical reason why baby needs to come out. That's just my gut instinct though, and I know it's not for everyone.

They wouldn't offer me one until It was after due date. Didn't do much the first time, but the second time it did. Its up to you hun, I'd see if you could have one done at 39weeks xx

I had one today and I have had no pains or anything but I know i was 3cm this morning and if I don't go into labour I'm getting my waters broke on Monday for medical reasons.
It's entirely your choice and like said above, if your body isn't ready, you won't go into labour.
Good luck in what ever choice you make x

I had one today and I have had no pains or anything but I know is as 3cm this morning and if I don't go into labour I'm getting my waters broke on Monday for medical reasons.
It's entirely your choice and like said above, if your body isn't ready, you won't go into labour.
Good luck in what ever choice you make x

Good luck to you hun!

They wont do them here till 40 weeks minimum. Usually 41 weeks. I didnt need one with my son I went into labour naturally at 40 +5 and had him at 40+6, at pretty much the exact same time I was supposed to be having a sweep lol. This time im going to refuse one unless I actually go right over and need to be induced. I know some sweeps must obviously work but lately ive seen a few friend and family have them and its just put them in slow labour that went on for days. I know theres obviously lots of success stories but personally Id like baby to come on her own when shes ready.

thats just my personal opinion though, do what you feel comfortable with x

Thank you for your response.
Did the sweeps result in anything? Bleeding, cramping, etc.?
Were you dialated at all?

They did not result in to going into labor :( But everytime she did it, I ended up 1 cm more open and thinned out. It did cramp up, kinda burning type cramp in my belly during the sweep, but it quickly stopped after she was done. First time nothing really happened, the second time I had a little bit of blood, but was induced 3 days later at 39+3

My friend did have one though at 39 weeks and she went into labor that night.

I have an appt. at 4 tomorrow afternoon, and at my last visit, doctor mentioned a sweep "to get things progressing." I will be 38 weeks...I am not in a particular hurry to potentially go into labour this week, and I was provided with no medical reasoning for it whatsoever. Baby is measuring properly (36cm @ 37 weeks); I have gained weight properly (about 27lbs) and I have never had high blood pressure or anything of the sort.

It almost seems like she just wants to get me delivering so I am one less patient or something. I will not be getting a check of my cervix tomorrow either as I have heard stories of some doctors performing the sweep without consent, and that def aint happening.

I am going in there tomorrow and I will mention that I did some research and I am not aware of any medical necessity to warrant the procedure (as she mentioned no reason), and then I will inquire as to why she has suggested I have it done this early--perhaps closer to my due date I will feel more comfortable with considering it.

I have an appt. at 4 tomorrow afternoon, and at my last visit, doctor mentioned a sweep "to get things progressing." I will be 38 weeks...I am not in a particular hurry to potentially go into labour this week, and I was provided with no medical reasoning for it whatsoever. Baby is measuring properly (36cm @ 37 weeks); I have gained weight properly (about 27lbs) and I have never had high blood pressure or anything of the sort.

It almost seems like she just wants to get me delivering so I am one less patient or something. I will not be getting a check of my cervix tomorrow either as I have heard stories of some doctors performing the sweep without consent, and that def aint happening.

I am going in there tomorrow and I will mention that I did some research and I am not aware of any medical necessity to warrant the procedure (as she mentioned no reason), and then I will inquire as to why she has suggested I have it done this early--perhaps closer to my due date I will feel more comfortable with considering it.

Thanks hun for responding.
I think I'm going to deny the sweep tomorrow as well. I will let the doctor check my cervix though just so that I know where I'm at.
However I'm more than comfortable having this baby inside me for another week or two.
Especially now because it's seems like my toddler has pink eye or something along those lines... :dohh:

Could you let me know what your doctor has to say at your appointment?
It seems like we're due at the same time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->