memory foam matresses...

nikkip75

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i just wanted to let everyone know that a few months ago me an oh bought ourselves a memory foam matress, and i was just wondering the other day if these are ok for baby to sleep on as sometimes we do co-sleep so i typed it into google and it come back with the advice that babies should never sleep on them!

they can be very dangerous, cause over heating and can even cause fatalities!

i just thought this was something that most people wouldnt even think about so have been telling everyone i know who has babies or is pregnant as so many people have these matresses now.

to be honest we hate it! both of us have had nothing but aches an pains since getting it and so now we are having to get a new matress, and i know what they mean about the overheating, they are so hot an sweaty! even in the middle of winter you dont need any covers....

We have an adjustable bed with memory foam mattress and we love them. Thanks for the info on babies and memory foam though, I never would have thought about it.

You don't like it? I love mine..
Although, mine is a special one that isn't all memory foam, there are a few springs in it for added support, but I sleep so much better with that bed than my old one.

And glad you mentioned this because I was unsure of it... cause I know I've read it should be a firm mattress.

Wondering if those things you can buy (sorry, i just woke up.. can't think of anything i wanna say yet..) that you lay the baby on in the bed, with the sides that go up so he/she can't roll around, and there's a base to it as well.. I wonder if the baby would be ok so long as he/she was using one of those...

Thank you for this, we have a memory foam mattress and love it, couldn't live without it now, its so comfortable. Im so glad you did this thread as I hadn't though about it, though we would never let the baby sleep in the bed anyway, I would never forgive myself if something happened. Thanks again, Take care :hugs: XX

Yes I've heard the same thing.

Good advice to anyone considering co-sleeping and for those who let baby on the bed

We've got a memory foam topper which is amazing - I find it really supportive. We're going to co-sleep too but have a snugglenest so LO won't be on the mattress, he's got his own little one so can't see it being a problem.

It is something I was worried about as they can be quite warm which is part of the reason for buying the snugglenest.

Thanks for the info - it's really important to know, will definitely make sure he doesn't sleep on the memory foam.

:hugs: x

Oh my word, thanks for letting me know!

We don't have one in the UK, but when we move back to France our bed there is memory foam. To be honest we spent a lot of money and I hate them too, when we bought a bed here we bought a half sprung half memory foam mattress and that's crap too - at Christmas we went for a good quality sprung mattress and it's much better (waiting for it to arrive).

though we would never let the baby sleep in the bed anyway, I would never forgive myself if something happened.

Co-sleeping can be very beneficial to babies if the safety guidelines are followed - I know what you're saying but don't assume that it'd be dangerous if done in the right way :)

I hate our memory foam matterres grr, it gets too hot when you get hot and I find it so uncomfortable

nice to know its not safe for bubs when s/he's here

Didn't know about this so thanks for the heads up!!

I love our bed, but with it being memory foam, I could do with a hoist to get me out of it sometimes lol!

:sleep:Thanks for telling me this! I had no idea. I have actually moved off the MF mattress now as I found it too hard whilst I am preggers. So have gone on the softer mattress on spare bed. Much better and have much less pains and numbness etc. Anyway good advice just in case - thanks xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->