Menstrual Cups

Lola_0106

Mum to 1 & WWT for #2
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice regarding menstrual cups please? I have no idea which brand to pick, what do you use and how do you find it? Have you ever used anything different? Also, in labour I was fully dilated and pushed for a while, then had an EMCS. I have no idea what size to pick!

Thank you!

I use mooncup, it's absolutely brilliant I would never go back to tampons or towels now. You just go on the website, there are two sizes and it talks you through which size to pick.
It's a bit yucky changing it but I find it so good to not have to take tampons everywhere and find somewhere to dispose of them.

I think the Diva Cup is the US equivalent of the Moon Cup. It's what I have. Anyway, it's just a flexible cup to catch your period... So in terms of type, go with what's available in your area. I doubt there are too many options. In terms of size, I'm not sure which would be best in your situation either, but perhaps try the smaller size and move up a size if it isn't working right?

Anyway, I started using mine a few months before I conceived my first and then I didn't get my period back for a while after she was born (a year?). Then I conceived my next before she was 2. However, I do find the cup to be much nicer than a pad or a tampon. Pads are... yucky and tampons have to be changed at a certain frequency so you don't put yourself at risk of TSS. The cup on the other hand can be in you for up to 12 hours if I remember correctly, without risk of TSS. It was nice to stick it in before work and not have to worry about it until after work. I also like that it's re-usable and not wasteful like tampons and pads.

I have used the Diva cup before, I use the MeLuna (old/mini style) now...well when I'm not pregnant!

If you have been pregnant before, and/or are close to 30, you probably need a medium size, or if just a two size system the larger size. I used the small MeLuna before pregnancy, and in the first few cycles after, but then it started leaking and I had to go up to the medium. Even people who haven't given birth yet who are older are recommended larger sizes, so if you have been pregnant I'd recommend a large(r) size (some brands have 3 sizes).

I could go a full cycle using only lite tampons, I used regulars on my "heavy" days but could have still gone with lites, so I have pretty light flow. I can go the full 12 hrs with a cup without any overfilling issues.

It is sooooo much nicer than tampons or pads. I am considering cloth pads for my PP time, but I am not sure if I want to invest since I'll probably just go right back to using the cup the next cycle...

I started off with the Ruby Cup which was a really nice one. Pops open easily but also because of that removal was a bit more challenging than my second cup - Si-Bell. Si-Bell on the other hand is a very soft cup. A lot harder to insert but removal is so easy and painless. So I decided to try the Lunette Cup which seems to be very popular. Unfortunately I haven't really managed to try it for a full cycle so I can't really give you my opinion on that. There are just so many to choose from that I got really confused which ones to try out. I think it also depends on whether you have a high or low cervix.

Yeah I find it a bit harder to insert towards the end of my period as my cervix seems to get in the way at that stage but I guess that would be the case with tampons too.

I have a Mooncup - it's easy to use, but i haven't really got into the way of it properly yet, I swap back and forward between the mooncup and tampons. There are 2 sizes - I thinkfrom memory if you are over 30 and/or have had a vaginal delivery then you go for the bigger size. Their website has a good questions and answers section, or you could e-mail them for advice on size. :shrug:

Thanks all! I emailed them regarding sizes and they've helped me out there, I need the smaller size :) will order next week!

Cups are like every other product out there. Everyone will like em for different reasons.

I LOVED my Diva cup. First off the cup looks bigger than some of the others. It also naturally comes with a shorter stem which worked because I always pulled the cup, not the stem, to empty it.

For Diva cup, it would depend on your age and if you have ever vaginally given birth.
Something like if you're 35+ or have given vaginal birth, they'd suggest a size 2. Otherwise get size 1.

I ordered mine online but also found it at a couple of health food stores.

I'm a mooncup fanatic. The diva cup is NOT the same.

I'm in the us, and started with a diva cup and HATED it. It was too big, too hard to get a seal and I had endless issues with it (my partner has no issues with it and loves it.)

Then I found the mooncup uk online and I am totally in love. It never leaks, never hurts, and is just wonderful!

I'm loving it! Been using it 3 days now. I'm finding it a bit painful to insert and remove but guessing that comes with practice?

Lola, it does come with practice!

Make sure that you practice on the fold to insert, and when you're pulling it out pinch it to break the seal. If it's still hurting, i'd try and pinch it higher up to break the seal even more.

I'm a mooncup fan as well. I would never ever change back to regular pads or tampons.

Search 'prescious stars pads' on you tube, she vlogs about cloth pads and cups and she's got some good videos on her channel about choosing a mentrual cup and lots of comparison videos.

I choose a small, soft meluna after watching her videos and I am so glad I did, I ❤️ It and would never go back to disposables. I use a combo of cups and cloth pads/pantyliners and there is no way I'd ever go back :thumbup:

If your looking to buy a cup 'feminine wear' and 'luxury moon' websites are brill, good selection and fast shipping.

I've got a Meluna cup too. It feels great knowing all the money I'm saving not buying disposable protection. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->