Metformin for PCOS: How much do you take?

I have been prescribed this, i have to pick my prescription up the middle of this week, im not sure how many mg is in them but been told to take 1 for about a week then up it to 2 then on the 3rd week up it to 3 :D

My metformin is giving me fits. I struggle with low blood sugar and it's worsening it. :( Hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

I was diagnosed with pcos in 2003. I always had irregular periods and a few ruptured ovarian cysts. I was told I didn't ovulate and if I did, it was impossible to know when thus making conceiving hard to do. I was 19 at the time so it wasn't an issue.

I had been prescribed 1000MG Metformin in June 2007 but only took it a couple months before stopping due to forgetting to take the pills. For me, the side effects of Metformin (nausea, diarrhea, low BS) lasted only a few days but it worked wonders in my regulating my cycle and helping ovulation. It basically gave me a real period vs. irregular bleeding.

After getting married in May 2009, my husband and I decided to start TTC in December 2009. I saw my Dr. On 12/2 and got a prescription for Clomid to start on day 3 of my cycle whenever it would start. On 12/3 I began easing back onto the Metformin with 500MG. On 12/5, I started spotting. My dr told me that ANY kind of bleeding (spotting or otherwise) would be considered "day 1". So, on 12/7 (day 3) I began taking Clomid with the Metformin.

The next week on 12/16, when I was ovulating, was hell. My body hardly ever ovulated and now with fertility pills I was ovulating A LOT. I had nausea, dizziness, and headache. Took ovulation tests so I know I ovulated.

On 12/25 I was feeling really tired and went to bed at 8pm which is weird being it was Xmas. I woke up around 1:30am with hot flashes and chills, upset stomach, and nausea. I thought I was getting the flu. I was still taking Metformin and quit after that day until I found out if I was pregnant. The earliest I was able to take a test was 12/31. Around 12/28, I started getting this feeling I was pregnant. I couldn't hold out any longer and on 12/31 at 1:30am I took a test with a VERY faint positive! I waited a couple days and on 1/2, got a very clear positive. We welcomed a baby boy in September 2010.

Not sure why but as soon as my body recognized that I was pregnant, I couldn't handle the Metformin. Not even the 500mg that I was taking (half my original dosage). I stopped taking it while I was pregnant and am just about to begin it again. I just love how it regulates me and helps with pcos related acne breakouts. It's a miracle drug for pcos!

What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing. :)

I originally started this thread in January. I am now taking 2000mg of metformin and 100mg of clomid. I didn't respond to the clomid so this cycle (if it ever starts!) I will be taking 150mg of clomid and the bravelle shot. I'm ready for all this to work it's magic!

I took 1000mg for 6 months and it helped my period slightly. I think the double dose will really help regulate me. What was your dosage?

I originally started this thread in January. I am now taking 2000mg of metformin and 100mg of clomid. I didn't respond to the clomid so this cycle (if it ever starts!) I will be taking 150mg of clomid and the bravelle shot. I'm ready for all this to work it's magic!

I took 1000mg for 6 months and it helped my period slightly. I think the double dose will really help regulate me. What was your dosage?

I've been up to 150 mg of Clomid and never responded. I finally responded very well to Letrozole (Femara) last month and my dr thinks I'll be pregnant within 6 mths. Sometimes it works better for people that may not respond to Clomid. Not sure if you've heard of this med so wanted you to know about it (I'm also on 2000 mg of Met). GL and baby dust!

I've been up to 150 mg of Clomid and never responded. I finally responded very well to Letrozole (Femara) last month and my dr thinks I'll be pregnant within 6 mths. Sometimes it works better for people that may not respond to Clomid. Not sure if you've heard of this med so wanted you to know about it (I'm also on 2000 mg of Met). GL and baby dust!

Yea, I have heard of that. I'm hoping I can try that if the clomid doesn't work on me for some reason. Baby dust!

I was diagnosed with pcos in 2003. I always had irregular periods and a few ruptured ovarian cysts. I was told I didn't ovulate and if I did, it was impossible to know when thus making conceiving hard to do. I was 19 at the time so it wasn't an issue.

I had been prescribed 1000MG Metformin in June 2007 but only took it a couple months before stopping due to forgetting to take the pills. For me, the side effects of Metformin (nausea, diarrhea, low BS) lasted only a few days but it worked wonders in my regulating my cycle and helping ovulation. It basically gave me a real period vs. irregular bleeding.

After getting married in May 2009, my husband and I decided to start TTC in December 2009. I saw my Dr. On 12/2 and got a prescription for Clomid to start on day 3 of my cycle whenever it would start. On 12/3 I began easing back onto the Metformin with 500MG. On 12/5, I started spotting. My dr told me that ANY kind of bleeding (spotting or otherwise) would be considered "day 1". So, on 12/7 (day 3) I began taking Clomid with the Metformin.

The next week on 12/16, when I was ovulating, was hell. My body hardly ever ovulated and now with fertility pills I was ovulating A LOT. I had nausea, dizziness, and headache. Took ovulation tests so I know I ovulated.

On 12/25 I was feeling really tired and went to bed at 8pm which is weird being it was Xmas. I woke up around 1:30am with hot flashes and chills, upset stomach, and nausea. I thought I was getting the flu. I was still taking Metformin and quit after that day until I found out if I was pregnant. The earliest I was able to take a test was 12/31. Around 12/28, I started getting this feeling I was pregnant. I couldn't hold out any longer and on 12/31 at 1:30am I took a test with a VERY faint positive! I waited a couple days and on 1/2, got a very clear positive. We welcomed a baby boy in September 2010.

Not sure why but as soon as my body recognized that I was pregnant, I couldn't handle the Metformin. Not even the 500mg that I was taking (half my original dosage). I stopped taking it while I was pregnant and am just about to begin it again. I just love how it regulates me and helps with pcos related acne breakouts. It's a miracle drug for pcos!

aww ! thats an inspiring story ..i was diagnosed with PCO 7 months back ( TTC for about an year now ) .put on metform 1500 mg .and had my first cycle on clomid 50 this month ( had AF 0n 25th June ) Just hoping and praying for some miracle to happen this time and the clomid works .The very thought of yet another BFN is depressing enough .

I was put on Metformin a year ago. 2000mg/day. I got pregnant in November of 2011 (4 months after starting Metformin ( 17 months after stopping bc and the first cycle that I really HAD a cycle in all those 17 months ). Sadly I lost that baby and another one since then, but I've now (2 weeks ago) found out that I have MTHFR mutation and I'm pretty much convinced that it's the cause for my 2 mc's. So for me, I'd consider Metformin a huge success. Despite the mc's and hormone aftermaths, I've been having my cycles - on my own with no medical help! - and have been ovulating as well.

As for how much, I think everyone is different in the amounts. If you don't think it's helping, then talk to your Dr, but I'd personally give it some time to see what it does.

So sorry to hear of your losses. :( That would be so hard. Is there anything that can be done for the condition? I sure hope it all works out for you!

There is and I've read stories of ladies with PCOS and MTHFR (my version of it) that have gone on to have successful pregnancies. It's just a matter of sitting down with an RE at this point and finding out what I need to do specifically.

I started metformin yesterday, have to take 500mg once a day for two weeks then go up to 1000mg a day after that. Doctor said that way it was less likely to give me an upset stomach. Really hoping it will get me going again, never thought I would want to have af lol

I started metformin yesterday, have to take 500mg once a day for two weeks then go up to 1000mg a day after that. Doctor said that way it was less likely to give me an upset stomach. Really hoping it will get me going again, never thought I would want to have af lol

I hope so. Have you talked to your dr about provera to make you start a period? Metformin can take months to regulate the cycle.

I hope so. Have you talked to your dr about provera to make you start a period? Metformin can take months to regulate the cycle.

No none of the doctors have mentioned provera, maybe it's because of my weight? I know my bmi is currently too high for them to give me clomid.

Hello ladies. I started off at 1000 mg and it was rough. I am trying to take 1500 now but my doc said if it is too much to go back down to 1000. Before met my cycles were anywhere from 32-35 days. The first cycle on met I ovulated on cd 15 so it was a 29 day cycle. This month I am on cd 17 and still no positive o. Have any of y'all had that happen? How long should a person stay on met before trying something else if they aren't successful? Sorry for all the questions.

No none of the doctors have mentioned provera, maybe it's because of my weight? I know my bmi is currently too high for them to give me clomid.

Your weight should have nothing to do with it. I would definitely ask for it. You must be miserable having your cycle that long. I had a 51 day cycle this last one and I was a wreck. No clomid because of your weight? That's not right. Please try a new dr. You don't deserve to be told that.

Hello ladies. I started off at 1000 mg and it was rough. I am trying to take 1500 now but my doc said if it is too much to go back down to 1000. Before met my cycles were anywhere from 32-35 days. The first cycle on met I ovulated on cd 15 so it was a 29 day cycle. This month I am on cd 17 and still no positive o. Have any of y'all had that happen? How long should a person stay on met before trying something else if they aren't successful? Sorry for all the questions.

I would definitely try it a year. Even if a dr. gives you clomid before the year is up (which I would highly recommend) I would still take the metformin forever. Metformin is really the only drug you can take for PCOS. You can take other things to make you ovulate and what not, but the metformin works on your entire cycle. I have heard it can take 6 months to really show results. I plan on never stopping the metformin. I have insulin resistance too and it really helps me with that. Insulin resistance and PCOS go hand in hand.

Your weight should have nothing to do with it. I would definitely ask for it. You must be miserable having your cycle that long. I had a 51 day cycle this last one and I was a wreck. No clomid because of your weight? That's not right. Please try a new dr. You don't deserve to be told that.

Everyone I know who's had clomid and the doctor has said they won't give it to you unless your bmi is 30 or below. The doctor also said that if it did come to needing ivf then your bmi has to be 30 or below too. My bmi is currently a shocking 50 :nope: I am very overweight but because I'm so short it makes my bmi worse.

Thank you rdy4number2. Before met I did ovulate on my own. I had 2 mc and the doctor said the met would help so I sure hope it does. He said he didn't want to try clomid yet since I was ovulating but I guess if this doesn work after awhile I should ask for it?? Thanks again for your advice.

Everyone I know who's had clomid and the doctor has said they won't give it to you unless your bmi is 30 or below. The doctor also said that if it did come to needing ivf then your bmi has to be 30 or below too. My bmi is currently a shocking 50 :nope: I am very overweight but because I'm so short it makes my bmi worse.

I'm sorry. :( My BMI is 35 and I take it. I guess maybe it is different in the US. Good luck losing weight. I need to lose too, but I know it's very hard.

Thank you rdy4number2. Before met I did ovulate on my own. I had 2 mc and the doctor said the met would help so I sure hope it does. He said he didn't want to try clomid yet since I was ovulating but I guess if this doesn work after awhile I should ask for it?? Thanks again for your advice.

I also ovulate on my own. That is why it has been so hard for me to understand why I'm not pregnant. My husband's SA was good as well. I have done some reading on it online and it said some women who ovulate on their own just need an extra boost sometimes, for whatever reason. I have also read with PCOS, a woman can ovulate, but the egg can be of poor quality. It's something to keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->