Metformin to conceive?

rdy4number2

Reaction score
I have been ttc almost a year now. I went to a dr. yesterday about it and she mentioned putting me on metformin. I have blood sugar problems (and possible insulin resistance) and she said it greatly helps fertility. Does anyone have any stories on it? Just tell me your entire experience with it our about it. I'm all ears. :)

I don't know anything about it hun but hopefully someone does?
:hugs: good luck

I don't have a success story, but I've read a ton of good things about it and lots of success stories. I DO know that I'm on it currently, and my body seems to be slowly responding to it. So I'm hoping and praying that it will lead me to a pregnancy soon!

I don't have a success story, but I've read a ton of good things about it and lots of success stories. I DO know that I'm on it currently, and my body seems to be slowly responding to it. So I'm hoping and praying that it will lead me to a pregnancy soon!

THis is day 3 for me. How long have you been on it? Is it for PCOS?

I've been on Metformin since August. My endo put me on it for my PCOS/insulin resistance.

Did your doc have you start slow - i.e. 1 tablet per day for 2 weeks, then 2 a day for another 2 weeks, then 3 and so on until you are at the full dosage? Mine did, and I do think that helped my body adjust to being on it.

:thumbup:

I've been on Metformin since August. My endo put me on it for my PCOS/insulin resistance.

Did your doc have you start slow - i.e. 1 tablet per day for 2 weeks, then 2 a day for another 2 weeks, then 3 and so on until you are at the full dosage? Mine did, and I do think that helped my body adjust to being on it.

No. She put me on 1000mg in never mentioned increasing it higher. Your drs plan sounds goos. I just wonder what dosage is considered enough to help w conception.

No. She put me on 1000mg in never mentioned increasing it higher. Your drs plan sounds goos. I just wonder what dosage is considered enough to help w conception.

I wish I had an answer for you... it might depend on how far along your insulin resistance is and how much your doc thinks will be helpful. Mine has me on 2000mg a day (2 500mg pills in the morning and 2 in the evening).

Are you having periods (regular or not)? My hormones were so out of whack that I've not been having any natural periods since June of 2010. I never ever EVER thought there would come a day when I was looking FORWARD to having a period, but I really am. I want my body to start working properly so badly!

I wish I had an answer for you... it might depend on how far along your insulin resistance is and how much your doc thinks will be helpful. Mine has me on 2000mg a day (2 500mg pills in the morning and 2 in the evening).

Are you having periods (regular or not)? My hormones were so out of whack that I've not been having any natural periods since June of 2010. I never ever EVER thought there would come a day when I was looking FORWARD to having a period, but I really am. I want my body to start working properly so badly!

Had you been inducing periods with a drug? Or just not having one? I have a very light period every 32-35 days. That might be why my dosage is lower. I hear ya. I'm looking forward to a period like I used to have. Never thought I would miss heavy bleeding lol.

Had you been inducing periods with a drug? Or just not having one? I have a very light period every 32-35 days. That might be why my dosage is lower. I hear ya. I'm looking forward to a period like I used to have. Never thought I would miss heavy bleeding lol.

Inducing with drugs. My previous OB had me take Provera once, and my new OB has me on Prometrium every 6 weeks if no flow. I was SOOO excited when I had heavy spotting on my own a couple of weeks ago and then sooooo disappointed when it fizzled and never turned into a period. BUT! That is a sign that the metformin is starting to work for me and that maybe natural cycles are on their way (I'm hoping!).

I'd bet just about anything that the diff of you having cycles naturally already and me not having any is the difference in the dosage.

This is my first cycle on Metformin and I'm on 1500mg.
It has already shorted my cycles from 60+ days to 33 days :)
Good luck with it hun, keep us up to date with how you go !

This is my first cycle on Metformin and I'm on 1500mg.
It has already shorted my cycles from 60+ days to 33 days :)
Good luck with it hun, keep us up to date with how you go !

Wow that ia great! Im anxious to see if it makes my period any heavier. It didnt make a difference this last period because i had only been taking like 3 days when af showed. My periods arent reallt far apart but extremely light. Mine are like every 33 days

I've noticed that the last 2 periods on metformin have been a shorter length of actual bleeding and this last period was heavy, but not nearly as heavy as I've been having prior to that.

I have to say too that even though it might be false, I'm thrilled to say that ff gave me crosshairs when I put in my temp for today! If it's right then I'm 3 dpo!!! And that would be my first natural cycle in over a year. :)

I've noticed that the last 2 periods on metformin have been a shorter length of actual bleeding and this last period was heavy, but not nearly as heavy as I've been having prior to that.

I have to say too that even though it might be false, I'm thrilled to say that ff gave me crosshairs when I put in my temp for today! If it's right then I'm 3 dpo!!! And that would be my first natural cycle in over a year. :)

Hmm...congrats on the crosshairs. I sure hope the met doesn't make my bleeding lighter lol. If its any lighter, it wont be a period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->