micrograms and milligrams...anyone good at maths?? AARRGGHH!!

sonny

Mummy of Tabitha
Reaction score
Micrograms and milligrams!
AARRGGHHH!!!

Right can anyone help me? its been a long time since maths at school!!

The special care dr lady said i can self dose Tabs now with the help of the HV's to help me work out the dosage to give her as she gains weight on her domperidone and her ranitidine.
The thing is the stupid HV's are not willing to work it our for me as they think it is a drs job!! They are trained nurses etc!

So instead of ringing the special care lady every week bugging her and clogging up my dr how do i work out the following?....like how do i do it on the calculator??

Domperidone is: 300 micrograms per kilo of bodyweight...

Ranitidine is: 2 milligrams per kilo of body weight....

She now weighs 7.11kg.

Any ideas? anything will be appreciated.

Wow - that sounds complicated! What mean HVs refusing to do that - it's one of the basic things they learn when they train to be one!!
Sorry I can't figure out how to do it but thought I would mention 1 milligram = 1000 micrograms.
Good luck!

She now weighs 7.11kg.

Domperidone:

300 mcg * (the number of kilos or 7.11kg) = 2133 mcg

then divide that by 1000 for the number of milligrams or 2.133 mg

Ranitidine:

2 mg * (the number of kilos or 7.11kg) = 14.22 mg

:hug:

She now weighs 7.11kg.

Domperidone:

Ranitidine:

Thats what i did with the Domperidone dosage and thats correct as i compared with weight and doses at previous stages but thats where i get unstuck with the ranitidine.
I phoned the special care dr yesterday and domperidone is 2.1ml but the ranitidine is just 0.95ml

Would mg be the same as ml? im sure i wasnt this thick at school lol! soooooo confusing and i forgot to ask dr on the phone how to do it on the calculator DOH
Thankyou margerle :hugs:

She now weighs 7.11kg.

Domperidone:

Ranitidine:

Thats what i did with the Domperidone dosage and thats correct as i compared with weight and doses at previous stages but thats where i get unstuck with the ranitidine.
I phoned the special care dr yesterday and domperidone is 2.1ml but the ranitidine is just 0.95ml

Would mg be the same as ml? im sure i wasnt this thick at school lol! soooooo confusing and i forgot to ask dr on the phone how to do it on the calculator DOH

Well, I looked it up and they make Ranitidine 150mg/10ml. All meds are diff formulations so they'd all be unique :)

anyway, you set this equation up as a proportion. You know you want to give baby 14.22 mg based on our calculations above, and we just need to know how much fluid would hold that amount of drug...

150mg/10ml = 14.22mg/ x

'x' equals the amount of ml that would hold 14.22mg

ok so far?

So now to solve, just cross multiply and solve for the variable.

150mg/10ml = 14.22mg/ x

150mg * 'x' ml = 14.22 mg * 10ml <---[the cross multiplication]

150x = 142.2 <----[now lets get the x variable on one side of the equation by itself so divide both sides by 150]

150/150x = 142.2/150

x = .948 ml

Hope that helps... please let me know if you have any questions :)

Would mg be the same as ml?

1mg = 1ml for water but it will be 1mg of the active ingredient you want (or whatever amount you've been advised to give) and that'll be diluted in the liquid. It should say somewhere on the bottle Xmg/ml so you'll need to work out the volume x

She now weighs 7.11kg.

Domperidone:

Ranitidine:

Well, I looked it up and they make Ranitidine 150mg/10ml. All meds are diff formulations so they'd all be unique :)

anyway, you set this equation up as a proportion. You know you want to give baby 14.22 mg based on our calculations above, and we just need to know how much fluid would hold that amount of drug...

150mg/10ml = 14.22mg/ x

ok so far?

150mg/10ml = 14.22mg/ x

150x = 142.2 <----[now lets get the x variable on one side of the equation by itself so divide both sides by 150]

150/150x = 142.2/150

x = .948 ml

WWWWHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Thats all this going over my head! lol think i might have to phone each time i get her weighed! lol
Unless anyone can translate in blonde on what i put in the calculator?? like each step at a time.

She now weighs 7.11kg.

Domperidone:

Ranitidine:

150mg/10ml = 14.22mg/ x

ok so far?

150mg/10ml = 14.22mg/ x

150/150x = 142.2/150

x = .948 ml

WWWWHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Thats all this going over my head! lol think i might have to phone each time i get her weighed! lol
Unless anyone can translate in blonde on what i put in the calculator?? like each step at a time.

Think my brain has kicked in a bit now....please check this is right :)
...............so.................
2mg x 7.11kg (or kilo body weight at that time) = 14.22
Then ..
10ml / 150mg = 0.066(recurring) then x by 14.22 = 0.9479ml rounded to 0.95ml

so if tabs was for eg 8kg.....
2mg x 8kg = 16

10ml / 150mg = 0.066(recurring) then x by 16 = 1.066ml so round to 1.07ml

Thankyou both so much,would appreciate it if you could tell me if this is right?
I was scared cos on the internet it said that the difference could be the difference between life or death ARGH! although what would be the outcome of too much ranitidine or domperidone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->