Midwife today and possible chicken pox in sons friend

Pink Flowers

Reaction score
I have the MW today for my Anti D, blood test and normal MW appt, also to book in for whooping cough. I have been measuring ahead on fundal height, she said if I still am this appt I am off for a growth scan. DS1 was 7lb12oz at birth the mw said this one "shouldn't" be much bigger. I have my GTT on Thursday as well but she said I am not showing any other factors so said I will most prob be fine.

Also I will mention it to her when I see her but my friend text me yesterday to tell me her little boy most likely has chicken pox, I don't think we saw them in the time they say they are contagious but I have had a google and I can't really make sense of it, it says if you have had it you are fine, then something else says its dangerous? but I don't know if that's if you get chicken pox in pregnancy?

I only had it very mild as a child so there is always a risk I could get it again :dohh:

Hello!
I had chicken pox as a child and again when I was pregnant!! I would definitely mention it to your MW - she may do a blood test to check your immunity. You can actually have a vaccine against it if you have no immunity and you are at risk of getting it but I don't think they recommend that unless it's an absolute must. If you have already cought chicken pox then they may give you some medication - this is more to help you as it can be serious in adults. I had to go to hospital for treatment but this was more to protect me than the baby. Also, I think at your gestation, chicken pox doesn't have much impact on baby - even if it does go through the placenta (which is like a 1-2% chance). The dangerous time is if you have it when you give birth or between 12-20 weeks.
Hope this info helps!! Try not to worry :)
Me and baby baby were fine - I had it at 14 or 15 weeks last time. They scanned me all the way through to check on him and everything was fine :)

Thank you. I will mention it later.

No where just gives proper advise on the Internet

I know - google is not your friend on matters like this! I was worried about catching it again this time because my Dad had shingles and you can catch chicken pox from shingles so they did a blood test and it came back that I was immune. I was just worried at the time because I had lost immunity once before so I though it could possibly happen again.

Hi, I had chicken pox as a child and again when pregnant with my son and he was born with a cateract in his eye, which needed an operation and he now has no lense in his eye which means no vision. He's 12 now and its 'normal' for him.
I would get a bloody test to check if you HAVE it, not of your immune cos they told me I was immune to it. It's a 1 in 10,000 chance of baby getting it so not hight but when you are that one, like I was, it always makes you worry. X

I don't think they can test if you have it - this is why they check your immunity. Did they conclude that the cateract was caused by the chicken pox? What gestation were you at when you had it? Sorry for the questions xx

Yeah they can check you have it. Well they did with me and yes it was that which caused cateract.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->