Midwife wants me to drink 4L of water a day!

Buzzymomma

mom to 2 + 1 more
Reaction score
I don't know how to do it! I've never been a huge water drinker, so this is gonna be hard!

(4L is a gallon for you Americans ;) )

Give me your best water chugging tips!

Ugh, I've been struggling to get enough water lately as well. I've found that adding some lemon juice to it helps me drink more, but I'm still only getting probably 40-50oz a day. I've never been a big drinker, water or anything else.

I drink 2l of liquid a day if that! I drunk about 1l before I got pregnant though. It doesn't matter if you don't reach those targets. I had my 20 week scan last week and baby was fine, but try and increase it a little each day. What I found easier for me is to have 4 or 8 in your case 500ml bottles as it doesn't seem such a daunting task and just have it always in front of you. If you feel hungry drink first as thirst can cover itself up with hunger.

That doesn't sound right, I think I pregnant woman needs around 2.3 litres a day ( around 10 cups )
https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/how-much-water-should-you-drink-in-a-day
I know I've never drank that much a day in any of pregnancies.

I've never heard this about pregnancy? Are we supposed to drink double? If so, why? I typically drink 2l a day but 4.... I'd never leave the bathroom!! :p

In my previous pregnancies I gained 50 and 60 pounds, and I asked her advice to not do that again and she said to drink 4L of clear fluid a day. Couldn't hurt I guess, just need to get used to it.

Adding lemon is a great idea! So is water bottles. Thanks ladies!

Good luck with that! I second the water bottle. I fill mine up wherever I am. If I have it, I drink 75% more water :)

That seems extreme. Too much water isn't good for anyone. But I was told 10 cups 12 if its hot.

I drink water all day long and I drink about half a gallon or so in a day and that's plenty! I like my water with fresh squeezed lemons and ice cold :)

I wouldn't drink that much it is actually bad for you to drink that much fluid! I was drinking around 3 litres before I was pregnant and my doctor told me I need to cut down. When your not pregnant you should drink about 2 and 2.5 litres when you are.

If we only need an extra 200 calories a day then I don't understand why you would need a whole extra 2 litres of water a day! I would say aim for 2l or 2.5l and anything after that is a bonus :)

My midwife told me to drink a litre of milk a day, which I thought would be okay until I tried it :p

Bahaha a litre of milk a day sounds awful! I'll have to ask her again next time I go. So far there's been no way I can choke down 4L of water in one day so I'll just stick with 2.5 until then. That's about all I can manage to drink in one day anyways!

Oh wow that's a lot of water! I am not a water drinker at all, I don't like water. I have been using my soda stream to put some carbonation into it which helps. I add ice and fresh lemon. I just can't do water without flavoring

I'm not a doctor but 4l sounds like way too much! I think the 2.5 you're managing is plenty.

If it's using water to help prevent weight gain then I advise you to drink a glass of water about 15 mins before every meal as it should mean you eat a smaller portion (in theory). Best of luck!:flower:

4 litres sounds way too much, drinking too much is actually very dangerous, assuming that's a lot more than 4litres but nevertheless I'd be careful.

Just don't eat excessively, You only need to consume extra 300 calories a day, when isn't much really, that's like 2 Pieces or white toast and butter, and not sure when that comes into play? Not sure if it's applicable during 1st trimester.

I'd double check she actually meant 4 litres.

Maybe she mis-spoke and meant 4 pints? Because that's roughly 2 litres which I thought was the usual recommendation.

I don't think the extra calories come into play until third tri.

Oh gosh I hope I don't have to wait until the 3rd tri to get more calories.... I'm already starving all the time, it's my only symptom so far and heaven forbid you should come between me and my food.... :-D

I don't drink anywhere near that much. I have such a weak bladder i'd need to wear a nappy. I have a huge craving for fizzy drinks so im drinking fizzy water with fresh lime in it. Nom.

StephtheHiker I've been eating loads too despite the guidance! I was the same with DD - really hungry in first tri but then ok for the rest of the pregnancy. you might be the same and find you're not as hungry in second and third tri.
Keep active to offset it though x

well, honestly, if I could just "not eat excessively", I wouldn't have gained 50 and 60 pounds the first two times. I have a really hard time with compulsive overeating. So, for me, it's really not a matter of just not eating.

She didn't say pints, we don't speak in pints and quarts and stuff... I don't even know how much a pint is, lol.

Like I said, I can't even get that much water into myself in one day, so I won't be drinking all 4L every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->