midwives and weight of baby

bexie1985

Reaction score
i was just wondering how right the midwives are with there guestamates of the baby weight. My first was 8lb15 and i can honestly say im really quite worried about how big this babies going to be and whether i will be able to get him out???!! I went for a 4d scan but she said she couldnt tell me the weight? at 20weeks he was measuring a day in front? if i ask the midwife at my 30week app do u think she'll be able to tell me? :shrug:

My Midwife estimated my dd would weight around 7lb and she was born at 7lb 10 1/2oz.

she wasn't far off but i think it was just a lucky guess. i don't think they can give you a proper estimate just from feeling.

my mw said lo was going to be 10lb+ with very broad shoulders which scared the life out of me and he was only 7lb 4oz and tiny - mind you my mw didnt give me the time of day most of the time :(
good luck x

thanks girls, scrummy mummy i know what u mean, my midwife is shocking!! x

Mine estimated 8lb or 9lb, possibly even 10lb...Halen was 6lb 13.5oz...say's it all really lol

I wouldn't worry hun

On my scale in my notes obviously estimate weight but that says by 40 weeks bubs will be 9lbs .. i hope not tbh i wont be able to manage that :huh: .. at my 4d scan they measured LOs belly and did the weight for me and he was just over 5lbs when i was 33weeks but then said i was a week ahead so 5lbs at 35weeks :shrug: just hope i have a 7-8lb baby lol

my communtiy midwife has never guesstimated the weight of any of my babies, she did say jack was going to be lots bigger than leah was (he was a whole 2lb bigger!) but she has never guessed becasue she says its impossible to be even within a lb so no point

Its not the midwife's job to guestimate the weight, thats what scans are for but even the scans are not entirely accurate either. :)

Midwife has never guessed my baby's weight.

I had a growth scan last week and all the measurements were done - again nothing was mentioned about the weight of the baby.

If I say I guess that everyones baby will be about 7-8 lbs - I would do well!!

On he Thursday my MW told me i was having a very small Baby, i would be lucky if he was 5lbs..he was born on the following Saturday 3 days later and weighed 8lbs 8oz..small my arse lol

I had a growth scan at 36 weeks with my first and they said 8lb 2 weeks later he was 9lb 1/2oz and with my second the consultant felt bump and said she was gonna be 10lb something so rushed me down for a section that day and she was only 8lb 13oz.... talk about scaring me for nothing!!

my midwife has got the weight of all my friends babies right so far, i don't dare ask her to guess mine lol the consultant thinks she is a whopper tho :( lol

My mw told me my ds was on the small side and was sent for a scan, he was measureing small on the scan too (didnt say how small) but wasnt overly concerned, he came out weighing 8lb 8oz so i never believe what they say any more.

I was told DD was gunna be big and as she was my first i was bricking it to say the least, She was born weighing a tinny 5lb8oz so i dnt believe they have any idea xx

i dont get a 3rd scan in this pregnancy :( i would realy like a growth scan as im bricking it thinking about how hes going to get out! :( if he gets stuck and really wont come out do they push him back up and do a c-section? xx

All through my pregnancy and during labour with my first midwives said he felt about 7-7.5lbs, even when he was born he still looked 7lbs they said... He was 9lb 3oz.

My second was always a "big baby" when they felt her, when she was born a midwife looked at her and swore she was 9.5lbs... She was 8lbs even.

I don't hold much faith in midwives guesses tbh :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"