midwives and weight of baby

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by bexie1985, Dec 12, 2009.

1. bexie1985

bexie1985 Well-Known Member

i was just wondering how right the midwives are with there guestamates of the baby weight. My first was 8lb15 and i can honestly say im really quite worried about how big this babies going to be and whether i will be able to get him out???!! I went for a 4d scan but she said she couldnt tell me the weight? at 20weeks he was measuring a day in front? if i ask the midwife at my 30week app do u think she'll be able to tell me? :shrug:

2. flowertot

flowertot mummy of 2

My Midwife estimated my dd would weight around 7lb and she was born at 7lb 10 1/2oz.

she wasn't far off but i think it was just a lucky guess. i don't think they can give you a proper estimate just from feeling.

3. scrummy mummy

scrummy mummy Baby number 3 on board x

my mw said lo was going to be 10lb+ with very broad shoulders which scared the life out of me and he was only 7lb 4oz and tiny - mind you my mw didnt give me the time of day most of the time :(
    good luck x

4. bexie1985

thanks girls, scrummy mummy i know what u mean, my midwife is shocking!! x

5. JayleighAnn

JayleighAnn Guest

Mine estimated 8lb or 9lb, possibly even 10lb...Halen was 6lb 13.5oz...say's it all really lol

I wouldn't worry hun

6. Becyboo__x

Becyboo__x Well-Known Member

On my scale in my notes obviously estimate weight but that says by 40 weeks bubs will be 9lbs .. i hope not tbh i wont be able to manage that :huh: .. at my 4d scan they measured LOs belly and did the weight for me and he was just over 5lbs when i was 33weeks but then said i was a week ahead so 5lbs at 35weeks :shrug: just hope i have a 7-8lb baby lol

7. suzib76

suzib76 Well-Known Member

my communtiy midwife has never guesstimated the weight of any of my babies, she did say jack was going to be lots bigger than leah was (he was a whole 2lb bigger!) but she has never guessed becasue she says its impossible to be even within a lb so no point

8. LouLou78

LouLou78 Mum to 3 gorgeous girls

Its not the midwife's job to guestimate the weight, thats what scans are for but even the scans are not entirely accurate either. :)

9. ellie27

ellie27 Well-Known Member

Midwife has never guessed my baby's weight.

I had a growth scan last week and all the measurements were done - again nothing was mentioned about the weight of the baby.

If I say I guess that everyones baby will be about 7-8 lbs - I would do well!!

10. Floralaura

Floralaura Well-Known Member

On he Thursday my MW told me i was having a very small Baby, i would be lucky if he was 5lbs..he was born on the following Saturday 3 days later and weighed 8lbs 8oz..small my arse lol

11. xerinx

xerinx TTC logans lil bro or sis

I had a growth scan at 36 weeks with my first and they said 8lb 2 weeks later he was 9lb 1/2oz and with my second the consultant felt bump and said she was gonna be 10lb something so rushed me down for a section that day and she was only 8lb 13oz.... talk about scaring me for nothing!!

12. hudz26

hudz26 Mum to 3

my midwife has got the weight of all my friends babies right so far, i don't dare ask her to guess mine lol the consultant thinks she is a whopper tho :( lol

13. lisa35

lisa35 Well-Known Member

My mw told me my ds was on the small side and was sent for a scan, he was measureing small on the scan too (didnt say how small) but wasnt overly concerned, he came out weighing 8lb 8oz so i never believe what they say any more.

14. mrsmac

mrsmac mummy of 2

I was told DD was gunna be big and as she was my first i was bricking it to say the least, She was born weighing a tinny 5lb8oz so i dnt believe they have any idea xx

15. bexie1985

i dont get a 3rd scan in this pregnancy :( i would realy like a growth scan as im bricking it thinking about how hes going to get out! :( if he gets stuck and really wont come out do they push him back up and do a c-section? xx

16. Ell87

Ell87 Mum of 4

All through my pregnancy and during labour with my first midwives said he felt about 7-7.5lbs, even when he was born he still looked 7lbs they said... He was 9lb 3oz.

My second was always a "big baby" when they felt her, when she was born a midwife looked at her and swore she was 9.5lbs... She was 8lbs even.

I don't hold much faith in midwives guesses tbh :lol: