Migraine solutions?

Aphy

Reaction score
Hi all,I would be grateful if anyone has any miracle cure suggestions for migraine? I am 8 weeks pregnant so have already tried paracetamol today which helped absolutely nothing. Migraine started this morning around 11h00am and has just become worse since then. Have tried lying down all afternoon,no help, and also tried a cold compress on my neck and forehead. On top of my morning sickness,the nausea feels unbearable currently (probably cause of the added nausea from the migraine) and the pain is really intense. Help!

I take magesium and vitamin B2 to try to prevent them, I also follow a low carbohydrate diet as the ketones produced are thought to help prevent them. My solutions are probably a bit extreme and controversial but my migraines are so severe that I cannot get through them without taking my migraine medication, so vitamins and diet changes seem less risky if they mean I don't have to take my medication (rizatriptan). I have had to take them in my previous two pregnancies (just once and twice in first tri) and when breastfeeding, luckily my babies were fine, the small amount of research into the med while pregnant doesn't show any links to them causing problems but I still feel awfully guilty and terrible for taking them, but my migraine symptoms start like a stroke and they are the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced, the pain itself is awful but at least it isn't as scary.

I've heard people say caffeine once they start can help (strange as it's a trigger for many), I've heard vicks vapour rub type stuff can help, and cold or hot packs on the neck or forehead. Non of these work for me, I just have to get to a dark room and try to sleep it off.
Staying hydrated is supposed to help but the only other thing I can advice is the magnesium.
https://americanheadachesociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Magnesium.pdf

Horrible, horrible things. I spend the whole first trimester in fear that one is starting.

Hope it's just a first tri thing for you too.

Thanks,will definitely be trying some of those options. Unfortunately I am a migraine sufferer even prior pregnancy so wish I could say this would be the last one I suffered!

I've been taking Magnesium as well, and CoQ10. Another weird thing that helps me is Gatorade. My headaches also start as tension headaches, so neck stretches tend to help a bit. There's a pressure point in the meaty part of your hand between your thumb and first finger that if you massage and push hard for a few minutes is said to help. Good luck.

I had a lot of migraines in my second tri. A few things helped:

- tigerbalm on head
- lying in a dark room, and drinking lots of water
- fennel tea

also keep a note of foods etc, as certain foods can set migraines off. Chocolate and cheese are two common examples

My gyn says (does not help me)

Take Tylenol. You can have 4,000 (whatever units lol) a day and no more than 600 every 6 hours. I think those were the numbers. I had a migraine while she was talking haha. But she said to take it regularly even if you feel better because it works better pre-emptive....

A little caffeine but no more than 200 units a day

And then she said if that doesn't work go back and she'll prescribe something lol and I wanted to say ummmm it's not working can you prescribe me something now haha

I'm convinced that unless they get migraines themselves, they just don't get how dibilitating it is

Right?! My last gyn totally babied me. She did one appointment like full on in the dark because she walked in and I was in fetal position crying because the room was so bright. But even when she offered I hate taking medicine. Idk why lol. But I am dying and making mistakes at work =\

Magnesium, and the best way to absorb that is topically. So, if you have Epsom salt and a nice sized bath tub, soak awayyyyyyyy and enjoy the day. :)

my gyn just prescribed me a new migraine med that's supposed to be safe for pregnancy. Not sure if it's going to work, just filled it today. It's called Floricet (?) or butalbital-APAP-caffeine. It wasn't stupid expensive, either, which was a plus.

Someone gave me this weird piece of advice that actually really helps - in addition to, or instead of, a cold compress on the back of your neck, run some very hot water in your bath and sit on the edge with your feet and calves in it. Apparently it helps to dilate the blood vessels down there, while the cold compress if you're using one constricts the blood vessels in your head and helps the blood to start flowing back downwards again in normal volumes. A boiling hot bath also helps me a lot, but of course we can't have those...

Someone gave me this weird piece of advice that actually really helps - in addition to, or instead of, a cold compress on the back of your neck, run some very hot water in your bath and sit on the edge with your feet and calves in it. Apparently it helps to dilate the blood vessels down there, while the cold compress if you're using one constricts the blood vessels in your head and helps the blood to start flowing back downwards again in normal volumes. A boiling hot bath also helps me a lot, but of course we can't have those...

I've heard lots of people say that a hot shower helps, I've never tried it as when one starts with me I panic as I know I've got between 5-20 minutes before I'm a complete wreck and can't talk, see properly, or use the right side of my body so I have to lie down.

But reading what you wrote makes a lot of sense, I can see how it could help, I'm hoping I won't have a reason to try it but shall try to remember this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->