Migraines.. Severe migraines.

Alovelikexo

Reaction score
I can't deal with headaches at the best of times, I just pop a couple strong pills, go to sleep to wake up feeling fresh as a daisy.. But now I'm pregnant, and I have the migraine to end all migraines. I can barely lift my head from the pillow without being sick and in terrible pain. What is safe to take? As paracetamol doesn't even touch it.

I am allowed regular strength tylenol. I find it useless.
Yesterdays migrane had me sitting in a dark bathroom, warm tub with a cold cloth ice pack on my head.
Got it eased off enough to sleep. Good luck :(

I never found anything safe to take that helped migraines with my first pregnancy, but I did figure out my prenatal vitamins were causing them. If you're taking those, maybe try switching brands?

My doctor prescribed me fioricet for my migraines I have to take it daily or I get a migraine

My dr said in my 2nd trimester he will give me a prescription if still needed.... Tylonal is a joke !!! They told me to try Targets brand ( up & up )acudomediphene with caffeine .... The generic form of excedrine ...... I bought it but have yet to take it because I have tachycardia and my heart races from caffeine.... I have aweful allergies , I experimented with different allergy meds and found that Zyrtec worked best, it makes me very drowsy so I take it at night and able to sleep the night migraines off and having less sinuses has changed my migraines from severe to mild or just headaches .....

I have to take Imitrex when my migraines flare- there has been no documented studies to show that Imitrex was harmful on your fetus. Apparently there was a study & they stopped it when there was no increase in fetal abnormalities or miscarriages vs. those who aren't on Imitrex.

I probably wouldn't start a new drug like Imitrex while being pregnant- it can do weird things to you at first, but if you were on a triptan previously- maybe try lower dosages. To me I feel as though it's better on my body & for the baby to take an Imitrex vs. the other option of sitting in pain, vomiting & feeling horrible for hours on end. Here is a good article to read:
https://www.cfp.ca/content/56/6/537.full

I had to take 100mg of Imitrex a couple times the week before I received my positive result and since then I've taken 50mg on 2 different occassions. I find that my migraines are trigged when I don't eat a healthy meal in time or stay hydrated or get the caffeine I need (hoping to taper off caffeine during this pregnancy). We had a scan on Sunday & were able to find our babies heartbeat so I know we have a good viable pregnancy despite the meds I've had to take!

Migraines are tough & I know during pregnancy it can be worse- I've seen a decrease in them since becoming pregnant & I hope that its lasts!

Hope you get feeling better!

Thank you all very much, mine are triggered from not getting a certain amount of caffeine too, I can drink gallons of water to try avoid but it does nothing, yet one cup of coffee will settle it down, however coffee sets off my sickness, even just the smell as I walk passed my old daily treat - Starbucks! I was on 30mg a day of propranolol prior to pregnancy, but like u all say I only actually had to take it on the onset of a migraine for a day or two to get rid of it, not a daily thing, however now it doesn't have the same effect. Plan to go back to Drs Monday and ask for some advice on the situation, as at the moment I'm getting rid of them by forcing myself to ignore the sickness just t get a coffee down me every couple of days trying to avoid it. It's bitter sweet. Pregnancy aye!!

What about a caffeine pill? I know they sell them at vitamin shops .... Not sure if they are safe? Or maybe a few glasses of pop through the day? I have the same problem without caffeine. I'm used to several cups of coffee a day, all day.... I can't even get down half a cup if I tried , I get sick after a few sips.... I tried iced coffee the other day.... I drank half a cup.... It made me really super nauseated but def got rid of my headache and I didn't vomit right after .... It took everything I had, but I think since it was cold I could take it a bit better

I hear ya! Migraines are just horrible I used to get them on a weekly basis without fail and with an aura it was terrible i got flashing lights then partial blindness followed by pins and needles in my arm, neck and face and had temp paralysis, it felt like I had a stoke and my speech was slurred, I couldn't even cry because the pain was so bad it hurt to even do that :( the migraine itself would last a a couple hours but the effects would last a couple days it felt like my head was sore for a couple of days as if someone had kicked it! I had tried everything my gp gave me beta blockers,sumatriptan, amitriptyline, codeine, tramadol but nothing worked he wanted me to start topomax (a drug for epileptic people) but as I was TTC he said it was unsafe too! I am currently 22 weeks pregnant and I haven't had a migraine for 4 months 'touch wood' which is the longest I have gone, I am really pleased considering I used to get them at least once a week, the only thing I have done differently is stopped taking caffeine so I'm wondering if this was the cause? I now have de caff tea bags, and keep away from caffeinated drinks like coke,energy drinks ect... X

Oh wow urs sound awful. I get the pins and needles and slurred speech.& I know exactly what u mean when u say u couldn't even cry because the migraine pain was so severe!! It's horrible, especially when pregnant as I can't just pop a couple pills and sleep it off. Haven't had one for a few days now, but I've been staying indoors with the fan x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->