Migraines with aura and mental fog?

TCK_Runner

Reaction score
Has anyone had migraines or mental fog related to their hormones? I'm 34 and now 13 months postpartum. Since 11 months PP / late February I've had 5 episodes of what the doctors are calling "migraines with aura." Except that most episodes haven't really been with headaches, just with aura and feeling a bit spaced out. The last two I had some shakiness following the aura. Twice I've been to a hospital ER, both times they sent me home telling me this as the diagnosis. I'm scheduled to see a neurologist next week; the initial cerebral scan showed nothing, however, and I am thinking it's all anxiety/hormones related.

I have many symptoms, some of which get severe the two weeks before my period (which came a bit early this month):

- severe anxiety, even panic attacks, for two weeks before my period and sometimes other days. Feel like I can't breathe even though nothing is bothering me. I do yoga to calm down.
- during the anxiety period of time I have horrible nightmares.
- mental/brain fog in which I can't even remember what I was doing 5 minutes ago.
- dry hair and skin, my hair seems snarled, brittle, and frayed, but at least it stopped falling out I think? My skin on my ankles is really dry, my hands and cuticles are in terrible shape.
- feel like hypoglycemic at least half the month, like I need to constantly eat, but I don't want chocolate or sweets at all (unusual for me!). I usually eat some fruit not because I want it but because I know it's better for me. I keep bananas and apples around for that, also crackers + bread.
- often feel dehydrated, even though I'm drinking a ton of water...
- poor circulation (ok this isn't new, really, but I often get cold hands and feet).
- acne on forehead.
- my neck and shoulder muscles get so tense that even a massage or chiro only helps temporarily, the next day it's the same as before.
- right before my period I am super irritable... beyond bitch... then first few days of it I cry at the drop of a hat!
- losing weight?! How is this possible when I'm eating all the time and not working out as much as I used to?

So yes, I've been somewhat stressed, but actually not as much as I used to be! I get worried like hell but am generally happy otherwise... I even still jog several times per week or do yoga to relax. In fact the only thing causing me stress right now are these weird migraines with aura + the mental fog because I'm terrified I won't be able to do my work anymore. I can't do anything right now because my body is freaking out. :nope:

So I made that symptom list and read it out to the ER doctor last week and my GP yesterday... who mostly ignored me and gave me a referral to a neurologist. He didn't even bother with a blood test! :growlmad: I am hoping my OBGYN next week will do a hormone test for me...

Has anyone else been through this? Is it overactive thyroid or progesterone related (that's what Dr Google seems to think)? I don't think I have or have had PND, but maybe I did/do? I just figured it would be more obvious, like I would feel depressed or down about things, and I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->