Migraines

malia

Trying for #2
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm first or second tri so wasn't sure where to post!
I've had a migraine for 5 days. It's almost unbearable today. Looking at the screen to write this has caused me serious pain, and my eye sight is terrible. Paracetamol isn't doing a thing to help. I was wondering if anybody else has any advice?

4head- the roll on stuff you can use as often as you like and a darkened room, I wish there was more to be done for migraines but they are hard to shift. Make sure you're staying hydrated and cutting out caffeine so that they don't get worse. :hugs:

I've been taking Tylenol for my migraines. It barely touches it. Otherwise, a quiet dark room and sleep are my only other recourse. Sometimes putting pressure on my eye socket helps. Sometimes a cold wash cloth on my head helps. Small amounts of sugar and caffeine (eg. soda or chocolate) can improve things but too much makes it worse. Definitely stay hydrated.

Your health care provider might be able to suggest something else.

5 days was the longest migraine I've had while pregnant. I hope yours departs quickly.

Had a horrendous headache yesterday (I'm reluctant to say migraine because i usually have flashing lights associated with them) - spent all day sleeping in bed and hiding from the sunlight. Keep hydrated - paracetomal. As PP said small amounts of caffeine can be effective for some people but if its a trigger for you then just lots of water (sips if it makes you heave like I was yest).

xxx

Thanks everyone. It was so horrible yesterday I stayed in bed all day and couldn't do any of the things I needed to :( woke up and it was still sore but not as intense. A coffee made it better until about lunch and now I feel incapable of doing anything but hiding in the dark again :(

I have peppermint essential oil and I put it on my temples, behind my ears, and in the crease between my index and middle finger (not sure why it is put on the finger crease but its just what a friend showed me) it helps a bit because of the cooling sensation, it could also be a placebo effect but who knows.
I also put a warm damp cloth over my eyes and lay down with my eyes closed for a bit.
If I'm at work there's really not much I can do except put on my glasses (my eyes strain from staring at the computer - that's usually what causes the headaches or migranes). Drink lots of water!! it can prevent migraines

Migraines are awful, you have my sympathy. The only thing I can advise is keeping yourself in a dark, quiet room and keeping hydrated. Sleep as much as you can. If its no better soon ask your GP for some stronger painkillers x

I have peppermint essential oil and I put it on my temples, behind my ears, and in the crease between my index and middle finger (not sure why it is put on the finger crease but its just what a friend showed me) it helps a bit because of the cooling sensation, it could also be a placebo effect but who knows.
I also put a warm damp cloth over my eyes and lay down with my eyes closed for a bit.
If I'm at work there's really not much I can do except put on my glasses (my eyes strain from staring at the computer - that's usually what causes the headaches or migranes). Drink lots of water!! it can prevent migraines

I'll have to try the peppermint oil, thank you. I drink LOADS of water to try and keep them at bay but it does't seem to help.

Migraines are awful, you have my sympathy. The only thing I can advise is keeping yourself in a dark, quiet room and keeping hydrated. Sleep as much as you can. If its no better soon ask your GP for some stronger painkillers x

I assumed the GP wouldn't give me anything stronger as I'm pregnant. I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow and see if she can.

They can defo give you stronger than paracetemol. :hugs: they should be able to give you some codeine x

I saw a picture on Facebook one time with a woman sat with her hands & feet in hot water & a bag of frozen peas on the back of her neck. I tried it & it really worked, maybe try that. I know it sounds strange but anything is worth a try.

I really feel for you, migraines are the worst.

Can't say I have migraines any more (had them in my teens) but I do get some wicked tension headaches during pregnancy and only one thing helps: Coke. I hate soft drinks but having one glass of Coke with Tylenol, even when I had a severe one last week that was starting to scare me, made it disappear after approximately thirty minutes. Not sure it will work for migraines but I would definitely give it a try.

I'm a bit late in replying to this, but hopefully you're feeling better, and this will help someone!

These old threads have some good ideas-
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-first-trimester/2230511-migraines-no-meds.html
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-second-trimester/2213707-help-pregnancy-migraines.html

My migraines seem to be worse this pregnancy. I remember last time they peaked at 18 weeks and for whatever reason I didn't have another one for many months.

This weekend I spent two days on the couch with my right eye covered dozing and trying not to throw up. I've never had so much vomiting with my migraines, but it passed within two days.

Weather is a big trigger for me and there's nothing to be done about that.

If you are throwing up, keep hydrated.

I went to the doctor about them today because I couldn't go to work, the pain is unbearable. She said she couldn't give me anything for the pain, but signed me off work for 2 weeks so I can sleep through them. Thanks for all the help and advice. Unfortunately they seem to still be getting worse. I'm praying this is the worst of it and I'm almost past them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->