Mil got a new puppy and it just drowned!!

beth_terri

Reaction score
Am I over reacting or are they seriously at fault here? My mil and fil just got a new puppy. It's one of them laparapsu things (no idea how to spell it). The have a pond in their back garden... And they just found the poor puppy drowned in it :(

Surely if you've got a pond and a puppy you would either safe guard the pond or watch the pup like a hawk, no?

:growlmad:

:cry: OMG that is horrible. I am so sorry . Yes, for sure the puppy should have been watched very closely. Tragic :hugs:

Thats awful :nope: Cannot understand why they let the pup out there is the pond wasnt covered??

Oh No thats awful, poor little puppy :( xxx

My main concern would be if it happened to a pup could it ever happen to a child.
OH gran has a pond and LO is watched like a hawk out there even though it is covered and the pathway to it is blocked to him.

I was gobsmacked at a FB post a month or so ago from a friend moaning that her 2 sons (one 4 and one 13 months) coming in from the garden soaked because they had decided to play in the paddling pool while outside in their clothes.
The pool was still there from the good weather a few weeks before and was filled with rain water, I don't get why anyone would leave a pool like that with 2 young children alone in the garden.

My main concern would be if it happened to a pup could it ever happen to a child.
OH gran has a pond and LO is watched like a hawk out there even though it is covered and the pathway to it is blocked to him.

I was gobsmacked at a FB post a month or so ago from a friend moaning that her 2 sons (one 4 and one 13 months) coming in from the garden soaked because they had decided to play in the paddling pool while outside in their clothes.
The pool was still there from the good weather a few weeks before and was filled with rain water, I don't get why anyone would leave a pool like that with 2 young children alone in the garden.

Same here! Little boy here drowned in a pond he was only 23 months :(

We have a big paddling pool thats been up for about a week and a half, it needs emptying, but todays been lovely so ive spent the day in my mums garden because the kids would try and get in it otherwise! Drowning is a huge fear of mine

We have a big paddling pool thats been up for about a week and a half, it needs emptying, but todays been lovely so ive spent the day in my mums garden because the kids would try and get in it otherwise! Drowning is a huge fear of mine

I think it was more the fact she was moaning about them being soaked and that seemed to concern her more that got to me rather then the alternative of what could have happened having a 13 month child playing in a pool on their own.

Exactly! She was lucky that soaked clothes was all that happened :wacko:

That's awful. Yes they are seriously at fault and hope they never get an animal until they can be responsible :nope:

Poor little puppy.

That's a very good point about the kids. They rarely ever have my 2, but ill have to consider that for when they next do!

Poor little puppy :( it was only just old enough to leave its mummy!

Its definitely one of my biggest fears with Ivy. I can't believe people are so careless :nope: When my uncle was 3 he fell into my grandparent's pool and luckily survived but was so severely brain damaged that he never walked or talked again and basically lived in the hospital with the mentality of a child and a tracheostomy until he died a few years ago in his forties. He was only alone for about 5 minutes :(

And that is horrible OP, maybe they just assumed that the little pup would know not to go into the pond :(

Maybe it just didn't occur to them?! I thought puppies could swim. It's very sad but I'm sure they feel terrible.

That's awful. Yes they are seriously at fault and hope they never get an animal until they can be responsible :nope:

Poor little puppy.

this!

poor puppy :cry::cry: it made me tear up to think about what happened to that poor little creature :cry: how irresponsible of them!!! :growlmad:

Maybe it just didn't occur to them?! I thought puppies could swim. It's very sad but I'm sure they feel terrible.

I also thought puppies could swim so I probably wouldn't have thought a pond and puppy would be a danger.

Very sad and unfortunate but I don't think OP's MIL is to blame.

That is so sad that an animal died as a result of someone else's irresponsibility. (meaning no offence, but my opinion)

https://animal.discovery.com/pets/do-all-dogs-know-how-to-swim.htm

I can see that some people would just assume. i personally never let my puppy do that until he naturally jumped into a river when he was around 9 months(puppies aren't always strong enough to jump up a step etc let allow paddle or swim. I imagine some people might think it's instinct but animals don't just know how to do everything, and some are not built for swimming. When i adopted any pets i did research on how to look after them, to keep them safe, i wish more people would do this.

Did anyone see that episode of teen mom where chelsea let her two dogs outside the front of her house and one got mauled to death by a neighbours dog, that was only a young dog. :( and then her mum bought her a replacement...

That is so sad and completely irresponsible of them. Poor puppy :(.

So sad :( I'd be really concerned about my kids playing there after that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->