MIL making it known not happy with homebirth RANT

definitely a latin thing sarajane!! my MIL really really is a lovely woman, I just think she cannot understand at all why you would birth at home unless it was because you were too poor for hospital! she is coming to stay with us and wanted to try and be here for the birth and I said to OH nooooo, but that was when she thought it would be in a hospital, pretty sure she wont want to be there now! think she´d like to encapsulate my placenta for me!!??? :haha:
I was travelling round the world when I met my OH, I wouldnt be living in Peru otherwise, accept that I met him and fell in love! but its so relaxed and chilled and beautiful here, we live in Cusco neaar Machu Pichu, very very different to the capital! its a lovely outdoorsy lifestyle..not sure whether we will go back to London one day for when bubs goes to school!?

MM & Indigo, I agree I think im going to stay put for about a week or two, I will go for little walks for fresh air but thats about it! my mum is coming out 4 weeks after due date so then I will be ready to adventure out with baby :)

Yeh the same thing happened to me when I mentioned home birth, they thought I´d lost my mind, and water births well... they hadn´t heard of that. But here in Spain it´s the same.. they think every other drug other than an epidural is really bad for you so they just don´t have them here.

Aww that´s nice, I met my OH here in Spain while I was working as an English teacher for a year, I was going to go back to England but I met him, and decided to stay haha. But hopefully we´ll move back to the UK next year.

I´ve heard about Cusco, a Scottish friend of mine lived there a few years ago, she said it was lovely! I´ve never been to Peru though, I´d love to! I have to go meet the in-laws in Bogotá first though! haha

The only bit I do kind of buy into is the 40 days thing. I think we rush to be out and back to normal. I actually think I'd go bonkers before 40 days but I do think women should try to stay home and have a proper baby moon, with limited visitors for as long as possible and really a week would be my own minimum. :)

Oh yes, I definitely think it´s a good idea to take it easy etc, and have time for yourself. Because I live in Spain and me and OH are from other countries we didnt have to worry too much about visitors until a few weeks after the birth luckily! I don´t think I´d last being in my house for 40 days though!

The only bit I do kind of buy into is the 40 days thing. I think we rush to be out and back to normal. I actually think I'd go bonkers before 40 days but I do think women should try to stay home and have a proper baby moon, with limited visitors for as long as possible and really a week would be my own minimum. :)

I totally agree with this bit, having time to bond and limiting visitors for a short while. I'm definitely planning minimum visitors for limited times, bit off topic but last time even though I'd had an EMCS I remember getting up in pain and making tea while my 'guests' sat down and cuddled my baby. Not this time!

It also reminds me of when I've overheard mums at the pre-school saying a couple of days after having their baby they were into a routine and wanted to get back to normal as quick as possible. Which is sometimes followed with, "thats why I didn't bother with the hassle of BFing, so much easier to give a bottle every x hours" Not to mention handing baby over pretty much straight away to grandparents so they can still do whatever they did before baby came. I wonder why do these people have babies? :dohh:

It´s crazy isn´t it! I actually think it´s more hassle preparing a bottle and giving it and sterelising etc! My baby is nearly 3.5 months old and still doesnt have a routine set in stone, and even though i went back to work after 6 weeks, I still exclusively breast feed. I´m lucky as i´m self employed I choose my hours and only work an hour here and there with breaks in between to go home and feed my little boy :) And I really don´t want to go back to normal if that´s what normal is, I feel so guilty even going out for one hour and leaving my son with his dad!

I totally agree with this bit, having time to bond and limiting visitors for a short while. I'm definitely planning minimum visitors for limited times, bit off topic but last time even though I'd had an EMCS I remember getting up in pain and making tea while my 'guests' sat down and cuddled my baby. Not this time!

It also reminds me of when I've overheard mums at the pre-school saying a couple of days after having their baby they were into a routine and wanted to get back to normal as quick as possible. Which is sometimes followed with, "thats why I didn't bother with the hassle of BFing, so much easier to give a bottle every x hours" Not to mention handing baby over pretty much straight away to grandparents so they can still do whatever they did before baby came. I wonder why do these people have babies? :dohh:

It´s crazy isn´t it! I actually think it´s more hassle preparing a bottle and giving it and sterelising etc! My baby is nearly 3.5 months old and still doesnt have a routine set in stone, and even though i went back to work after 6 weeks, I still exclusively breast feed. I´m lucky as i´m self employed I choose my hours and only work an hour here and there with breaks in between to go home and feed my little boy :) And I really don´t want to go back to normal if that´s what normal is, I feel so guilty even going out for one hour and leaving my son with his dad!

Totally, when mums who give bottles whether it be expressed BM or formula, say to me it's easier than BFing I have to say personally I didn't find it easier at all! We had to supplement with formula for the 1st 6wks due to issues at the start, like supply and poor latch, and I found it really time consuming and with all the sterilising to make sure no germs etc... So much easier direct from the source when we got the hang of it :thumbup:

I'm self employed and work from home this time round so am looking forward to having that flexibility too :)

Jodie - my mum would probably too :winkwink:

definitely a latin thing sarajane!! my MIL really really is a lovely woman, I just think she cannot understand at all why you would birth at home unless it was because you were too poor for hospital! she is coming to stay with us and wanted to try and be here for the birth and I said to OH nooooo, but that was when she thought it would be in a hospital, pretty sure she wont want to be there now! think she´d like to encapsulate my placenta for me!!??? :haha:
I was travelling round the world when I met my OH, I wouldnt be living in Peru otherwise, accept that I met him and fell in love! but its so relaxed and chilled and beautiful here, we live in Cusco neaar Machu Pichu, very very different to the capital! its a lovely outdoorsy lifestyle..not sure whether we will go back to London one day for when bubs goes to school!?

MM & Indigo, I agree I think im going to stay put for about a week or two, I will go for little walks for fresh air but thats about it! my mum is coming out 4 weeks after due date so then I will be ready to adventure out with baby :)

Yeh the same thing happened to me when I mentioned home birth, they thought I´d lost my mind, and water births well... they hadn´t heard of that. But here in Spain it´s the same.. they think every other drug other than an epidural is really bad for you so they just don´t have them here.

Aww that´s nice, I met my OH here in Spain while I was working as an English teacher for a year, I was going to go back to England but I met him, and decided to stay haha. But hopefully we´ll move back to the UK next year.

I´ve heard about Cusco, a Scottish friend of mine lived there a few years ago, she said it was lovely! I´ve never been to Peru though, I´d love to! I have to go meet the in-laws in Bogotá first though! haha

really! im surprised spain is so like that!

ah thats lovely, similar to me then staying for love!

oh really! I never made it to Colombia...yet....but have heard lots of great things

BF definitely has to be easier than bottle feeding, unless you have probs of course but to think bottle is easier from the start is mad! I did used to feel like I was constantly feeding my little girl though, as had no routine for feeds I just fed her on demand!
im lucky in that I get to concentrate in being a mama and nothing else for the time being! im going to love every minute of it as if or when we ever want to go back to London it will be me having to be bread winner so im going to enjoy my time....and maybe even get another baby out of it in a year or so if im extra lucky :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->