Miles Stanley born 9/9/10

staceyg

Reaction score
hey everyone its a bit late but heres my birth story!

Thursday 9/9/10 38+4 weeks:

I woke at 2:25am as needed the toilet i noticed my plug had gone. I went back to bed feeling fine I had no pain just felt a bit uncomfortable but couldn’t get back to sleep. Around 3am I felt a weird feeling in my stomach, I started feeling a bit wet so jumped out of bed. My poor hubby was woken at this point as I was in a bit of a panic shouting my waters have broke.

My contractions started straight away getting stronger and stronger. We phoned the labour ward at about 3:30 and were told not to come in until the contractions lasted for longer than a minute, as it was my first pregnancy and was told I was in the first stages of labour. Around 3:45ish they were lasting about 40 seconds and were every 4ish minutes.

At 4:20ish we phoned the labour ward again as my contractions were lasting around 1 minute and were still 4ish minutes apart. I was told by the midwife to have a bath and take paracetamol! Well the paracetamol did nothing to help so my hubby ran me a bath. Whilst in the bath I had several contractions which every time I had one I had to stand up, as sitting down was far too painful.

I finally gave in at 5:30ish screaming at my hubby to phone the hospital I’m going in if this is the early stages I’m not going to cope and will need an epidural!! The midwife wasn’t very happy but said to come in. By this point my contractions were more painful and felt different to the earlier ones.

I waddled out to my classic mini and grabbed hold of the seat belt and door handle not letting go until the 10 minute journey to the hospital was over. Walking to the ward was painful and felt like it took forever to get there. Once there I was examined by a midwife from the day assessment unit and to her surprise I was already 9cm dilated!! I was very glad I demanded to go to the hospital! I was then rushed to the labour ward and given gas and air which didn’t help but made me concentrate on my breathing and helped me to relax. My legs really starting to ache as it was too uncomfortable to sit or lay down but I think standing for the whole time of the first stage helped me dilate so quickly. Around 7:30ish I got onto the bed and was examined again as I was feeling the urge to push and yep I was 10cms!

I stayed on the bed and the gas and air was taken away, also the heart monitor was put on. After pushing and pushing on the bed I changed positions and stood up leaning against the bed. It didn’t help that I could not feel most of my contractions therefore didn’t know when to push and i hadnt even had any pain relief!! My midwife and hubby were looking on the monitor and told me when my contractions were and to push.

Standing up didn’t help and I was told to sit on this chair type thing that looked like a toilet! This didn’t help either, his head just was not coming down. I then got back on the bed and was put in several positions but still no luck. Around 11am the midwife got the doctor as baby’s head was not moving and I was too tired to push as hard as I needed to as by this point I had been pushing for over 3 hours. The doctor examined me and found baby’s head was turned. He tried to manually turn the head but the baby moved it back! I was told that I would not be able to push the baby out and I would have to go to theatre where they would try to use their equipment and get him out, if not I would need to have a c-section. I was told not to push when I had a contraction, which was painful and difficult to make my body not push. So out came the gas and air.

The anaesthetist came to see me as I needed to have a spinal; this really scared me as I didn’t want it! but for the safety of my baby I consented. I then had the biggest cannula ever put in my hand and a drip started, and then I was wheeled round to theatre. My hubby got into his scrubs while I was taken in and greeted by what felt like hundreds of people. I was asked to move from the bed onto the theatre table, I had to sit up, put my legs onto a chair, lean forwards, hug a pillow and put my chin on the pillow, while the spinal was done. Typically I was having a contraction so found this quite hard. I then had another drip attached. Then they asked me to quickly lie down, which wasn’t easy with the drip lines, BP cuff and sats probe on.

The doctor then put a catheter in while another doctor checked I was losing sensation in my legs with this cold spray, it was very strange not being able to feel from the waist down. The doctor got baby into position using forceps and waited until the midwife could feel I was having a contraction and I was told to push. At 12:26 my baby was born and put onto me. I was informed by my hubby that we had a little boy. He weighed 6lbs 13. It took about 40mins to sort me out as I had two second degree tears and needed several stitches. I also had packing inserted to help stop the bleeding. I was then transferred back onto the bed and taken back to the labour ward. I had to stay in over night and came home the next day.

Miles a few hours old
https://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n230/mad4mins/P9090035.jpg

thanks for reading :)
stacey :)

Congratulations, he's gorgeous! x

congratulations :flow:

hes really cute!

Oh he is lovely! What a fast first stage - thank god you didn't let a grumpy mw stop you going in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->