milestones

EMYJC

Two boys and unexpected BFP!
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if I sound thick but just wanted some advice. My little boy is 5 weeks on Sat but was born 5 weeks premature. He shouldnt be here until this Sunday. I was just wondering about milestones, i.e first smile etc. Do you go off the day he was born or his corrected age? Like in a few weeks should I be getting excited to see a smile or will I have to wait a while longer with Lucas being premature? x I am confused.

Certainly with very premature babies, you base your expectations on their corrected age and not their actual age. Otherwise Andrew would have been smiling and laughing before he came home :D

I always went with her corrected age but she tends to suprise me bless her... its somewhere in between for us to be honest. She was 7 weeks premature and she gets her milestones around 4 weeks after her actual age!

x

Mine were later than actual age at smiling and sitting up but the rest they pretty much were on the dot!..
I didnt really have any expectations because I didnt really know when they were supposed to do them thing. I used to see my HV every week so she sort of asked me about it if that makes sense. I knew a lot about babies but I had prems so I didnt really have a clue on how they would be.

Thanks for you replies. I know every baby is different, he is definitely more alert now and listening to me and recognising my voice. He turns to me if he hears me. I just cant wait for that first smile! :)

Go by corrected age, less disappointment that way...all health experts will measure his milestones in that way...he may surprise you with some things...but all babies are different...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->