• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Milk allergy / reflux

Nikki noo

1 princess, prince on way
Reaction score
Sorry if there is another place for this post but I could find one.
And sorry it's long

My boy is 4 1/2 months old. When he wasborn it took him a day or two to start drinking formula, I decided not to breast feed. He would only take 1-2oz every 4 hrs. After a few days he started to drink more and more. He then started gagging and choking screaming and bring up bright yellow bile, the doc prescribed him with gaviscon and said it was reflux, the bile stopped after a few days but he continued to scream all day and all night. The gaviscon made him constipated and had to stop. I was back and to at the docs as he was constantly screaming. They prescribed him ranitidine and forwarded us on to a pedeitrition, the med helped, it took about 8 weeks to get the ped appoint and in this time he got better and better and I had a perfect baby and sleeping through at 6 weeks. The only thing was he was having mucous poos, some were like green or brown blobs if jelly. I nearly cancelled the ped appointment as he was so happy. Anyway we went and she thinks he may have a mild milk allergy, she prescribed him pepti junior but he would not take this and had to carry on with hipp organic (we tried all milks) his poos got better and we had about a month if a perfect baby. The last month or so he had become really fussy, I thought teeth but nothing had come through. He is really sicky and uncomfortable after feeds, he feeds 5-6oz every 2 hrs, his spit ups are driving us mad as he does it straight after his feeds till the next one. I forgot to mention we took him off the meds when he was doing so well and was fine without it. So what do you all think. Has his reflux problem got worse/peaked or is his mild allergy causing him to be so fussy? I'm at docs Tomoz to ask if we can start the med again but I'm insure if its allergy or reflux and wanted some opinions from anyone who has been through this.

I would treat him for milk allergy and reflux as its hard to tell which one is causing which problems! I would perservere with the milk, I know it tastes horrible but they do get used to it. My lg is on nutramigen aa which is better than the pepti. I would do half and half bottles of old and new formula and then gradually up the new formula. It really is worth it and my lg has really improved. Give it a good couple of weeks. Also the ranitidine can loose its affect after a while and he may need to move onto Omeprazole which my lg is now on. Is he on domperidone as well? Also maybe persevere with the gaviscon as it does work. Try diluted orange juice or water for constipation. Good luck x

I would treat him for milk allergy and reflux as its hard to tell which one is causing which problems! I would perservere with the milk, I know it tastes horrible but they do get used to it. My lg is on nutramigen aa which is better than the pepti. I would do half and half bottles of old and new formula and then gradually up the new formula. It really is worth it and my lg has really improved. Give it a good couple of weeks. Also the ranitidine can loose its affect after a while and he may need to move onto Omeprazole which my lg is now on. Is he on domperidone as well? Also maybe persevere with the gaviscon as it does work. Try diluted orange juice or water for constipation. Good luck x

Thanks for the info. It's so hard trying to find what works. He is not on any meds at the moment. Do you think if it was the allergy he would have more symptoms as his poos are fine etc the thing he has is dry skin sicky all the time and the fussing constantly, although he will randomly become happy for 5 mins. X

Thanks for the info. It's so hard trying to find what works. He is not on any meds at the moment. Do you think if it was the allergy he would have more symptoms as his poos are fine etc the thing he has is dry skin sicky all the time and the fussing constantly, although he will randomly become happy for 5 mins. X[/QUOTE]

It is hard isnt it!? my lg is 7 months and only within the last month have things started to get sorted! Not nessessarily, my lg hardly had any symptoms apart from refusing feeds and pain. Then the green poo's started slightly and it wasnt until I started weaning that she came out in a rash after a yoghurt. Often reflux is caused by allergies x

Hi ladies
Nikki Noo your post could have been about my little boy.
He too has had problems with milk. Firstly he was on aptamil first milk then my health visitor told me to put him on comfort as he was showing signs of colic and silent reflux. It worked a treat for a while then he became really irritable and not sleeping and had diahorrea. I kept a diary and noticed a pattern. He'd happily feed then within 20 mins he'd have a watery stool nappy then about an hour after that he'd be really fussy, whiney and writhe around in pain. I made two trips to gp and managed to persuade her to prescribe me lactose free milk as she thought he might have an intolerance. We also have a ped appt for the end of jan. The only milk she would prescribe was sma lf. Its worked but he's now a very sicky baby. He's happy in himself but is just sick constantly from feed to feed. The only time he isnt is at night.
Do you think it could be the wrong milk and do you know if there is another that he could have.

Hi ladies
He too has had problems with milk. Firstly he was on aptamil first milk then my health visitor told me to put him on comfort as he was showing signs of colic and silent reflux. It worked a treat for a while then he became really irritable and not sleeping and had diahorrea. I kept a diary and noticed a pattern. He'd happily feed then within 20 mins he'd have a watery stool nappy then about an hour after that he'd be really fussy, whiney and writhe around in pain. I made two trips to gp and managed to persuade her to prescribe me lactose free milk as she thought he might have an intolerance. We also have a ped appt for the end of jan. The only milk she would prescribe was sma lf. Its worked but he's now a very sicky baby. He's happy in himself but is just sick constantly from feed to feed. The only time he isnt is at night.
Do you think it could be the wrong milk and do you know if there is another that he could have.

Hi pinkladyangel

Yes they sound the same, we were on aptamil then the comfort and ended up on hipp organic and he really settled on it until he recently became worse again. The doc tried to put Oscar on sma lf but I had already tried it and it didn't help us. When you have your appointment they will prob give you a 2 week trial on a milk like pepti junior and if it works then great but the prob is it is so foul tasting and smelling that a lot if babies won't take it unless started in really young. I know I shouldn't buy I have started Oscar in some porridge and fruit to get him to have less milk (he is 4 1/2 months) and he doesn't bring any of this back up
Ill just see how it goes and not introduce any dairy or meat etc till 6 months. Let me know how you get on. X

Pinkladyangel,
It sounds as if you are using the wrong milk. If he has a milk allergy then the proteins are still in the sma lf milk. I would ask for nutramigen aa or neocate as these are the best ones and nothing your lo can react to. I agree it is a foul taste but my lg soon got used to it. I mixed half and half to begin then gradually increased new formula x

Hi ladies

Hi pinkladyangel

Yes they sound the same, we were on aptamil then the comfort and ended up on hipp organic and he really settled on it until he recently became worse again. The doc tried to put Oscar on sma lf but I had already tried it and it didn't help us. When you have your appointment they will prob give you a 2 week trial on a milk like pepti junior and if it works then great but the prob is it is so foul tasting and smelling that a lot if babies won't take it unless started in really young. I know I shouldn't buy I have started Oscar in some porridge and fruit to get him to have less milk (he is 4 1/2 months) and he doesn't bring any of this back up
Ill just see how it goes and not introduce any dairy or meat etc till 6 months. Let me know how you get on. X

Has it got worse since you started the porridge? Infant porridge has milk derivatives (whey powder etc) in. My LO us CMPI and she's not allowed it when we start weaning.

Hi ladies

Hi pinkladyangel

Has it got worse since you started the porridge? Infant porridge has milk derivatives (whey powder etc) in. My LO us CMPI and she's not allowed it when we start weaning.

No I never saw a difference with the porridge, it's the oats and apple one and I think it actually is helping him to poo regularly. He is never sick after his porridge. I just don't know what to think as he is also just as bad with water, I am thinking it's more reflux than an allergy. He started to take the pepti junior this last couple of days until yesterday he became more wise to it and had a choking episode on the taste when he brought some back up. I know it's only been a few days but he still just as sicky on it. Might try the cow and gate anti reflux, I just don't like changing his milk around too much. He is so grumpy and needs constant attention, it's hard work! How's your lo getting on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->