milk blister

gaves99

DD May 2014, DSD Aug 2003
Reaction score
Finally figured out my right nipple pain. I've been only pumping that side for 2 days now since it hurts for her to latch. There is a white spot on the nipple now and apparently it's a milk blister, kind of like a blocked duct. Been doing hot compresses, pumping and antibiotic ointment. Need to keep doing for a few days.* Anyone had this and have other suggestions?

I have, and OUCH. Not much to do but hope it goes away quickly.

I haven't had this, but I've read that gently scrubbing the nipple in the shower can help break the skin that is retaining the milk. I've also heard that scraping a sterile needle on the surface of the bleb can help release the trapped milk.

I haven't had this, but I've read that gently scrubbing the nipple in the shower can help break the skin that is retaining the milk. I've also heard that scraping a sterile needle on the surface of the bleb can help release the trapped milk.

This absolutely helps. I had a milk blister and it hurt SO BAD!!! I scrubbed it in the shower (which also hurt really bad) and when the skin still didn't break, I (VERY carefully!!!) used a sterile needle to pierce the blister. I instantly felt better! Just use extreme caution when doing so, but that really did the trick for me.

I had recurrent milk blisters when DS1 was young and they were killer. I went to a lactation consultant who discovered he had a lip tie! I was told that it's basically a clogged duct in your nipple.

I would apply a hot moist compress then use a sterile needle to break it open. I would then have him nurse on that side or I would pump to get everything out.

I had a few milk blisters while breastfeeding, though it's been a little while now. All I can say is "Ouch"!

Definitely hot, moist compresses and gentle scrubbing in the shower, as other posters have indicated. I don't like needles, so stayed away from that one. In the end, LO broke the blisters every single time. I'd either feed him when my breast was still warm from the compress, or feed him in the "cow" position (on all fours, lower your breast into baby's mouth) to allow gravity to help. That's what worked for me.

Good luck! :)

Thanks ladies! Seems to be working... good god does it hurt but I am forcing myself to nurse on that side telling myself she will make it better. I see lactation tomorrow afternoon. So hopefully we will figure out a reason so it doesn't happen again.

Sounds like you're getting on top of it, great!

They are painful, I've had two, one after the other, one on each side quite recently and resorted to a needle for the one side, managed to pinch the skin off the other one (my OH decided to rock the bed when I was trying to use the needle - NOT helpful at all!).
Then yep, feed, feed, feed that side, through the pain. It's toe curling but baby is the best one for the job, they get the milk out better than a pump.
If you're not keen on using a needle then just baby nursing should sort it out eventually.

Yep nursing after hot compress hurts less :). OH popped mine with needle but skin keeps resealing over.

Gaves99 did u get any relief? I've had a blister for over a week and can't seem to get rid of it! Lots of feeding, plus hot compresses did nothing so I've twice tried a needle and still tables remains :(
Hurts lots, even wakes me up at night sometimes if I accidentally lie on it!

What kind of antibiotic ointment - like salvon or germolene?

Yep nursing after hot compress hurts less :). OH popped mine with needle but skin keeps resealing over.

Still not gone and nearly 2 weeks now. Hot compress isn't an option when out and about!!! My LC says it will go eventually!! If there is no lump in breast or signs of mastitis then it will be OK.

Exactly! Just can't do it every time, which is a shame as def hurts less after compress. Will stop with the needle tho as it hurts more since, whoops. Must try and just be patient...!

Did a needle the other day too after it got worse again. Been nursing more on that side and seems to be getting better!! F'x.. These hurt!!!

Had one couple of weeks ago. Hurt like hell for 2 days and I was sure I was heading for the er eventually.
My mother asked for friends' advices and one said to apply olive oil and baking soda mixture (4 tb sp+1 tea sp respectively).
Applied with cotton pads (renewed every hour or so) and when it somehow seemed a little loose, I managed to pinch a hole with my fingernails (didn't have a sterilized needle at home).
I opted for pumping as the blocked milk was at least 2 days old and wow that pressure! For the following 2-3 days I always started nursing on that side. And eventually both the blister and associated lump have gone!
Somebody suggested OH might suction it out but mine couldn't suck even half as hard as our little girl :)
Good luck...

3 weeks now. :(
I asked health visitor to check it. She had never seen one before!!! She told me to go to doc. DH got mad as he suggested this 2 days ago. Now he has fallen out with me because he thinks I don't value/trust his opinion and would rather ask someone else. But I thought health visitors might have more experience than a gp?? I don't see what the go will be able to do other than all the suggestions I've tried from here already. :(

I had it on my areola. Not uust one hut three right next to each other on my left boob. It went away in 3-4days.

3 weeks now. :(
I asked health visitor to check it. She had never seen one before!!! She told me to go to doc. DH got mad as he suggested this 2 days ago. Now he has fallen out with me because he thinks I don't value/trust his opinion and would rather ask someone else. But I thought health visitors might have more experience than a gp?? I don't see what the go will be able to do other than all the suggestions I've tried from here already. :(

So I went and they gave me lanolin cream to apply???? I knew they wouldn't do anything.

Ugh. Lanolin cream made zero difference to mine. Sorry you're still suffering. Mine has improved since I popped it (after the initial increase in pain). Still feel sore when latching on that breast but the pain between feeds has gone.

Same. At the Dr the other day mine told me to be careful with the creams as it could be what's blocking me. Been doing saline solutions again as its back and kills!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->