Milk not coming in? Best thing to do?

EcoMama

Reaction score
My friend just had a baby, she had gestational diabetes throughout pregnancy. Now the baby is here, 5 days ago, her milk still hasn't come in.
The doc said this is normal for those with gest diabetes.

She has started giving a bottle until the milk comes in.

How common is this?

I bf both of mine very easily, milk came in around day 3 but I always had colostrum.

Part of me wants to say to her to stop with the bottles and get baby on breast because surely the milk is never going to come in of the baby isn't feeding on the breast to stimulate ?

Should I say something or am I wrong? X

I'm not sure how common it is, I didn't have GD with my first but my milk took 5 days to come in. I had GD with my second and it took less than 48 hours.

Was baby having any wet nappies before she started on bottles? Is she at least pumping? I imagine baby would lose any interest in breastfeeding altogether?

I didn't have GD with my first and it took 3 days, this time I did have GD and it took 5 days. DS was admitted to scbu because he was a slight preemie (36 weeks), at risk of infection (waters had been gone more than 48 hours) and he had low blood sugar due to the GD. I breastfed but they gave him top ups with formula to regulate his blood sugar - it was either that or dextrose and I thought formula seemed the best option. Once my milk came in it took a few more days to get him off the top ups, the HV said it's likely his stomach had expanded to fit the formula so he just needed the extra for a bit until my supply caught up. Long story (sorry!) but basically in my experience you need to offer breastmilk first, even when your milk hasn't come in yet. Then he'll still know how to suckle and eventually she'll be able to get rid of the formula if that's what she wants.

Just wanted to add that there was still colostrum even though my milk hadn't come in so he was getting something, it was just that he needed the sugar from proper milk.

Thanks, thats what im thinking, that by ontroducing the bottle is goong to throw up lots of problems when trying to bf. Not sure about the wer nappies, seeing her this week so ask how its going.... I remember having very small amounts of colostrum before my milk came in properly but neither pf my babies struggled as they dont really need much to start with, so Im wondering whether to say something :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->