Milk/soy intolerance and breastfeeding

Hi ladies. My LO has the green watery mucus stools also. At first i thought it might be due to foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I pumped when i had oversupply. Green stools went away but are back again.

I will cut out all dairy & soy from my diet and see what happens.

My LO is 13 weeks now so im curious (if this turns out to be an intolerance) why does the green poo start now and not from day one??

It can occur from day one, did with my two youngest but it can take around 8-10 weeks in most cases for their system to become sensitised to the substance and for it to start manifesting as mucousy bloody stools xx

Hi ladies, hope youre all well. My lo had some blood again this evening. Im so sick of this. He is happy, gaining weight and developmentally doing well so im happy about that, but i still cant help feeling crappy when i see blood. He has had mucusy stools for 8 weeks now. What could it be?

Sometimes overactive let down/oversupply can cause it in which case it usually will settle down with time and there isn't really much that can be done. Has your baby been thoroughly physically checked for small tears inside the bum? My second youngest kept having blood after we eliminated pretty much everything and one day it was his whole happy was just blood with a tiny bit of mucus. I was scared so my GP who used to be a paediatrician for more years than she has been a GP said bring him in to check him over, she said he was absolutely fine and found a small tear inside his bum she said as they poo so often and so forcefully it can impede it from healing up, but sometimes zinc oxide based creams can work wonders. She said in the long run it isn't harmful and there is no need to stop BF over it and it's much more common than you would think. My youngest had the blood in stools frequently between about week 5 and week 12 but then it became more occasional and in the past six weeks we have only had it twice. If he poos a lot of times in one day which he does from time to find it may still be mucousy but not bloody. Xx

Thanks summer. The docs have checked him over for tears in the past. Twice in a&e they found no tears. The first time I didnt expect a tear as the blood was browny red, suggesting it came from higher up the gi tract but the second time I thought it was a possibility as the blood was bright red. That said the doc didnt see a tear. My gp on the other hand checked him out the next day (the hosp suggested I see my gp to keep him in the loop) and he found a tear! He really got in there to look. Haha. Recently the blood is bright red so there is a possibility it's due to a tear just inside. But the mucus is still about and I had one green mucus nappy three days ago.

I'm hoping this all goes away soon.

How old is your little one summer?

Hi scorpio- have u been to see you gp to discuss? It may not be an intolerance and could be a virus your lo is just getting over so I might not eliminate dairy and soy just yet. Though that is a possibility still. Is your baby otherwise well? X

Thanks summer. The docs have checked him over for tears in the past. Twice in a&e they found no tears. The first time I didnt expect a tear as the blood was browny red, suggesting it came from higher up the gi tract but the second time I thought it was a possibility as the blood was bright red. That said the doc didnt see a tear. My gp on the other hand checked him out the next day (the hosp suggested I see my gp to keep him in the loop) and he found a tear! He really got in there to look. Haha. Recently the blood is bright red so there is a possibility it's due to a tear just inside. But the mucus is still about and I had one green mucus nappy three days ago.

I'm hoping this all goes away soon.

How old is your little one summer?

He is 18 weeks today :) xx

Awe congrats Summer rain! Slightly off topic but this is far more exciting- what wonderful things can your lo do now? How much does he weigh?

Awe congrats Summer rain! Slightly off topic but this is far more exciting- what wonderful things can your lo do now? How much does he weigh?

He weighs 7kg which is just under 15 and a half pounds he was born 8lb 14, he dropped a couple of centiles but is slowly climbing back up the chart now. He can hold things properly now and grab for things, he puts everything in his mouth. He has been able to roll both ways for a while now though he is more adept at going from back to front, he can sit unaided for quite a few seconds and is babbling a lot. Bad thing is we have hit the 4 month sleep regression and he can really tell when I am gone even when he is asleep and he starts screeching immediately so that's a bit frustrating especially with another four kids to deal with. He also likes watching us eat but insists on sitting in my lap while we are eating which makes things a bit awkward lol, he is showing a few signs of being ready for solids, sitting unaided seems to have lost tongue thrust etc but as with all but my eldest I want to start as close to six months as possible especially as we are planning to do BLW xx

Wow you have 5 kids summer? Awesome!

So great that your lo is gaining more weight now.

I'm feeling a bit low as I just changed my baby's nappy and saw a speck of red blood again. It was bright red. I'm so sick of this.

My LO seemed to have diarrhea which slowed down. He still has the green poo on & off. Decided not to go GP yet as he seems to be healthy. Might go down to clinic this week just for a general check up with nurse.

Hi!

I know this thread is a little old but am looking for some insight in this area. My son (7 weeks) has had the following symptoms since birth:

Bouts of inconsolable crying, seeming to be in pain, arching back.

Projectile vomiting - what looks like a whole stomach's worth (he isn;t bothered by it)

Congested nose.

He is exclusively breastfed. After a bit of research I wondered about a dairy intolerance and cut out dairy a couple of weeks ago. The bouts of crying seem to be less, but in the last few days he has been vomiting a lot. He can go for hours and hours being really fussy and won't settle, will feed a little and then pull away and then eventually he throws up what looks like everything in his stomach and then he relaxes an settles down.

Anyone had this? Does it sound like an allergy/ intolerance or just an immature digestive system?

Is it likely that he is soy and dairy intolerant and that's why some symptoms seem to have improved and others seem to be worse?

Sorry for the essay!

On a side note, I am also taking him to see a cranial osteopath tomorrow to see if treatment might help him.

Hi rachel

Sorry your lo isnt doing too well. Hopefully he settles soon. Seems to be a case of reflux but it could be anything.

My son had green runny poop and a little blood. We saw a paediatric consultant who diagnosed milk allergy as it improved hugely when i cut out dairy (baby exclusively breastfed). But his poop wasnt "perfect". At 5.5 months i trued aptamil (against doc advice) and he was fine with it. Poop much better. I had cut out dairy, soy and eggs. Any more and i was worried id be malnourished! Obv something in my breastmilk didnt agree with him but im glad i continued as he got antibodies. In hindsight i wished i had done breast and bottle.

Id suggest you speak to your gp about it. Good luck!

Hi!

I know this thread is a little old but am looking for some insight in this area. My son (7 weeks) has had the following symptoms since birth:

Bouts of inconsolable crying, seeming to be in pain, arching back.

Projectile vomiting - what looks like a whole stomach's worth (he isn;t bothered by it)

Congested nose.

He is exclusively breastfed. After a bit of research I wondered about a dairy intolerance and cut out dairy a couple of weeks ago. The bouts of crying seem to be less, but in the last few days he has been vomiting a lot. He can go for hours and hours being really fussy and won't settle, will feed a little and then pull away and then eventually he throws up what looks like everything in his stomach and then he relaxes an settles down.

Anyone had this? Does it sound like an allergy/ intolerance or just an immature digestive system?

Is it likely that he is soy and dairy intolerant and that's why some symptoms seem to have improved and others seem to be worse?

Sorry for the essay!

On a side note, I am also taking him to see a cranial osteopath tomorrow to see if treatment might help him.

Hi Rachel, my son is also 7 weeks and having the same issues. We stated him on reflux meds last week that seem to be helping but he is still having flairups. I have eliminated dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, onions, tomatoes, bananas, gatlic, chocolate and beef. I basically eat chicken, oatmeal, veggies, rice and some friut. We go on Monday so i can go on a real elimination diet and find out his exact issues since i can't go on not eating anything! Good luck! You are doing great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->