Milk

R_x

Reaction score
How long do you keep milk for once opened?

A 4 pint bottle in my house goes within 1-2 days so we never have to throw x

I always get the 2 or 4 pint bottles and with the amount the LO's drink or have with cereals we never have to throw it away. I think 5-7 days it'd be ok for though once opened as long as it's still in date?

Until it smells/tastes off! I use skimmed and it's surprising how long it lasts! LO has whole milk and with the amount she gets through it never last more than a couple of days.

I think a 4 pint I would throw out out after 3-4 days if it's not all gone by then. It is normally long gone by then in our house though xx

4 pints can last anywhere from 2-6 days and never goes off

Eta: we go through 2x 4 pints in that time...jack has whole milk and me and oh have semi skimmed. Oscar doesnt like cows milk.

If it doesn't finish then I do a mixture of judging by the best before date and then smelling it once that date has passed.

We don't usually waste but I always go by what it smells like :) xx

We get milk from the milkman so just go on smell. I think I'm really sensitive to smells though cos I'll often refuse milk that my mum insists is fine.

We go through loads of milk so rarely have to chuck any. I go by how it smells. Even if it's still in date but smells a bit iffy I won't use it.

Until I taste it and go WHAT THE FFFFFFF *spits down sink*

:thumbup:

My milk I keep until the date but it's usually gone by then that a semi skimmed 4 pint. Lucas has blue milk with cereal and iv noticed it goes off much quicker so I would only keep it 3 days. One time after 4 days it was curdled :s this is a new thing though as it never did that before, maybe it's my fridge....

Just go by smell. Milk is usually fine days after the use by date

Usually around a week from opening the milk, or until it smells off. Once it gets close to the date, I start having DH smell it daily to make sure its still good. I can't do the smell check myself, because milk always stinks to me, lol.

Here all you can get is ultra-pasteurized milk, which I'm pretty sure is shelf stable is so treated. The Exp dates are like over a month out when you buy it.

That being said, we usually drink it in 4-7 days. We meaning my husband, because I don't drink milk and DS still only drinks EBM.

ETA: Yes, it is shelf stable, for like 6-9 months. But the refrigerate it, because people don't trust milk that isn't cold.

Please tell me the rest of the world is not subjected to UHT pasteurized milk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->