milking your own cow

Yeah, I'm sorry for bringing it up - I just wanted to say that I couldn't do it even though I know that's what happens all the time. If you're happy to buy milk from the supermarket (which I do) you can't really complain about it. I just don't think I could raise the animal myself cos I'd probably end up wanting to keep all the babies!!!

It wasnt your post I was referring to Rachel! I agree, it would be hard to send a calf away for slaughter, I dont even know if I could do it. But I didnt really want this thread to turn into a moral guilt trip of how cruel it is to talk about this on a parenting forum.

I really was just hoping to get the info on what you need to do to milk your own cows etc.

Oh for goodness sake. A forum is there for people to exchange views isn't it? You clearly missed my point about the 'irony'. The part about it being a parenting website was said tongue in cheek but you obviously didn't get it. I don't think it's cruel specifically to talk about it on a parenting website....I think the slaughter of animals is cruel, full stop which is why I was asking what you were intending to do with the calves. That was a pretty reasonable question surely.

Just as a side note as I have previously considered buying cow calf pairs for butchering purposes... Dairy cattle is another ball game altogether. They are bred specifically for milk production (taste and such) Of course "meat" cattle is never used for dairy in an except maybe in a pinch on a hobby farm, but it is very rare (as far as I know) so likely the calves would/ could be sold as dairy stock. I don't see it as likely that they would go to be butchered. Most people looking for a cow for milking would choose a dairy breed.

ah that's good to know! so what happens to any boy calves born? i always just assumed that they were no use to the dairy industry, except a few kept to breed from.

My understanding is that boy calves are most frequently sold as veal calves, and often get sent to Europe, where their welfare standards are a lot lower than here. :(

yes, not much fun if you are a male calf I'm afraid

Yes some are kept for breeding.. those that aren't, lets just say that male dairy calves are not used for human consumption... I really was just hoping that it wouldn't get asked...

Thanks sweetie... those are some good points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->