Miscarriage after a cervical biopsy

stephrichard

Reaction score
Hello all,

Forgive me if there is a thread like this or if I'm in the wrong spot, I am very new to this website. Please let me know if this post needs to be redirected.

I really need to vent about my situation and I want to give my family and friends a break.

I'd like to start my story with context. My boyfriend and I have been together for over 3 years and in September 2015 he joined the Canadian Forces. Needless to say it's been hard having him gone for such long periods of time (not complaining). We decided we wanted to try to conceive so I went off the pill in November 2015. I was using a ferility app to know when I was most fertile and what not. During Christmas vacation the timing was PERFECT. Miraculously, after trying that one short period of time we got pregnant and I found out on January 13th. I took two HPT (in the evening!) and they were both positive.

The next day I had a doctor's appointment that had been scheduled many months prior. I have HPV so it was a regular checkup for any abnormalities. Of course, I mentioned to the nurse and doctor that I was pregnant.

I was never told, not once, that doing a biopsy could be harmful to my pregnancy. The doctor went ahead and took a small piece next to my cervix just to be sure. I proceeded to get blood work done for official results relating to my pregnancy.

The next day, January 15th, I went to the washroom in the evening and without ANY warning there was blood when I wiped. Dark in color, but with clots the size of a pencil eraser. A couple hours later, washroom again with a clot the size of a quarter I'd say. I had NO pain at all, just very slight twinges in my abdomen (which I read online was totally normal seeing as my body was changing).

The next day I still had bleeding that came and went but it wasn't bright red which was reassuring to me. Sunday the 17th, I get my blood work results back: HCG count is at 500, I'm definitely pregnant the doc says. I go to a walk-in clinic the same day for more blood work because I'm worried about this bleeding and the clots I had. (When I mentioned to the cervical biopsy doctor about my bleeding she seemed puzzled and thought it was a good idea I get more blood work as I suggested).

So, the walk-in clinic doctor gives me a urine test for pregnancy: positive. I tell him about the bleeding and the clots and the biopsy and he quickly looks up at me like: :wacko: He asks me if I have any pain or cramps...I say no. He sends me for an ultrasound as well, even though I'm probably only about 4.5 weeks right now it will be a precautionary measure.

Walk-in clinic blood work comes back: Hcg is now 585. Doctor is not impressed because as I'm sure many of you know it should have doubled every 2 days and they were expecting 1800 or 2000, certainly not 585.

I go to the ultrasound on January 20th, of course the technician doesn't see anything with the pelvic ultrasound so she does the transvaginal. She sees a small 4mm blob but it's inconclusive. Mind you, the intravag ultrasound HURT and was very uncomfortable. I also get more blood work done.

January 21: MAJOR CRAMPING! Bleeding, back pain. Horrific.

January 22: I go for more blood work to see the HCG progress.

January 26 (today): Nurse calls me (because I have been harassing the doc for my results... from the 20th and 22). MY HCG is 165. Most likely a miscarriage she says.

No more sore breasts, no more nausea, no more baby.

Won't see my boyfriend before April 2016 at least.

We wanted this so badly. Could it have been avoided? I wish I had been warned if so, I would have waited for that cervical biopsy. We are so disappointed and I just want the bleeding to stop so I can move on. My first pregnancy, which happened so fast, was over in a week and a half. How do you go from such a high to so low so fast :nope:

Has anyone ever heard of cervical biopsies causing a miscarriage? Or could this all have just been a coincidence? I don't know what to think anymore.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately you will never have a perfectly clear answer to free your mind of doubts, but the timing of the miscarriage was probably nothing more than a terrible coincidence. An early loss like that is usually due to a chromosome problem with the egg, the sperm, or how their DNA combines that derails proper cell division and implantation. It would be unlikely for a minor cervical procedure to cause a problem. From the viewpoint of the fertilized egg, the cervix might as well be miles away from where it is implanting.

Even so, it doesn't make the loss of the pregnancy any less sad, and I am very sorry your boyfriend is away. The good news that you can take away from this (when your mind is ready to go there) is that you are able to conceive pretty readily. Most women who suffer a miscarriage go on to have a healthy pregnancy, and there is no reason to think you won't be one of them. I wish you the best moving forwards.

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a cervical biopsy in September of 2015 and Cryotherapy in October of 2015. I conceived in November of 2015 and was very surprised that my body was able to recover quickly.

I don't know if the biopsy affected your pregnancy or it was due to reasons mentioned by pp. I do know that my doctor did pregnancy tests before each of the procedures. I know they don't recommend cryotherapy or leep if you are pregnant but I'm not sure about the biopsy.

Again, so very sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately you will never have a perfectly clear answer to free your mind of doubts, but the timing of the miscarriage was probably nothing more than a terrible coincidence. An early loss like that is usually due to a chromosome problem with the egg, the sperm, or how their DNA combines that derails proper cell division and implantation. It would be unlikely for a minor cervical procedure to cause a problem. From the viewpoint of the fertilized egg, the cervix might as well be miles away from where it is implanting.

Even so, it doesn't make the loss of the pregnancy any less sad, and I am very sorry your boyfriend is away. The good news that you can take away from this (when your mind is ready to go there) is that you are able to conceive pretty readily. Most women who suffer a miscarriage go on to have a healthy pregnancy, and there is no reason to think you won't be one of them. I wish you the best moving forwards.
Thank you, you are right, there IS something positive to be taken away from this experience. I'll just have to practice my patience. Started yoga this morning, it was wonderful. I'm just looking for peace until I get to experience the joy of a positive pregnancy test again.

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a cervical biopsy in September of 2015 and Cryotherapy in October of 2015. I conceived in November of 2015 and was very surprised that my body was able to recover quickly.

I don't know if the biopsy affected your pregnancy or it was due to reasons mentioned by pp. I do know that my doctor did pregnancy tests before each of the procedures. I know they don't recommend cryotherapy or leep if you are pregnant but I'm not sure about the biopsy.

Again, so very sorry for your loss.
Thank you. I just have to trust that the doctor knew what she was doing I suppose. Such bad timing of events though. Sigh..one day at a time..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->