Miscarriage rate after heartbeat

Beneli

Reaction score
I know the miscarriage rate drops once you hear a healthy heartbeat. I had my first midwife appointment at 9.5-10 weeks (depending if you count me from scan due date or lmp). She couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler (although she was sure she caught it very briefly a few times). At my 9 week scan I saw the heartbeat but wasn't given a rate. So, is it enough that I saw a heartbeat at 9 weeks or do I have to hear it and get a rate? I assume the tech wouldn't have shown me the baby and heartbeat if something was wrong. Super paranoid here!

Thanks in advance!

No doubt you would have been informed of anything amiss at this point, most images take 3-5 business days to be read and the tech can usually speed the process along if they see something abnormal. As for your rate of loss, I have heard after nine weeks with a heartbeat that it s as low as .5% according to some sites, others may be up to 2.5%. Both are low numbers.
Source on scan report times: my father-in-law reads exams all day for a living. :) hth

At my first appointment, I was 6w4d with a bubs who had a strong heart beat (142bpm) and my ObGyn said the rate of miscarriage at this stage drops to 5%.

You want to see a heartbeat over 100, generally 120-180 :)

(When it first starts beating it is slower though, 90ish.)

Its the fact that the baby has a heartbeat that is important- not if you see or hear it. It starts slow and then gets faster around 5-6 weeks. By 9 weeks its been established for a long time.

Identifying a heart beat proves that the baby is capable of developing vital organs. Prior to finding the heartbeat you don't know if the egg and sperm are capable of growing into a baby or not. If the embryo has a massive genetic abnormality it won't have the information there to grow properly and making something as complex as a working heart is a good indication that the baby is able to grow everything else.

I saw my babys HB at 6 weeks ish and I'm hoping this means it will stick!

Don't worry about the midwife being unable to find it on a doppler. Here they won't even try until 16 weeks and when I had my first scan at 10 weeks they just looked for a beating heart and didn't measure the rate or anything.

The fact that the baby's heart is beating and it's developing normally is enough to know all is well.

I looked up statistics at 9 weeks and if a heartbeat is found at 9-10 weeks the risk of miscarriage is less than 1%.

Yeah I didn't hear or have heartbeat measured at either of my early scans. You could just see it flickering away.

I first heard it on my home Doppler at 9 weeks and it took a lot of finding!

I'm 11 weeks and my OB refused to even try to find a heart beat with the doppler. She said it was too early. So the fact yours could even find a trace of heart beat is a good sign.

I've been on both sides of the coin where a good heart beat ended up with a m/c anyways and where a good heart beat resulted in a baby. So you really just have to wait. But the odds are very much in your favour! Try to relax and enjoy! :)

I went from a 50% chance because of the SCH to a 20% chance then once they recorded a heart rate at 7+1 he said my chances were less than 5%.

I found this post very reassuring. I have a scan on Saturday, I'll be 9 weeks, and praying for a strong heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->